Mark Treyger Bus Comments

Started by WigWag16, August 20, 2020, 05:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag16

It's almost September and I'm hearing from school bus drivers that NYC still hasn't executed school bus contracts. They're without health insurance and don't know what new training looks like. No word if NYC secured adequate nurses for medically fragile kids on buses that require services.

By now, not only would contracts be signed, but drivers would have draft routes to test run to make needed adjustments. Delays to this structure contributes to confusion, mistakes, non-compliance with mandates, delays, and missed stops.

This is on top of principals still not knowing their final enrollment number and not receiving guidance on how to assign staff. Each school is required to have a pupil transportation coordinator to help families with bus routes. They're completely in the dark about transportation.

WigWag16

My response, hope you guys agree or hope I did something right lol

I'm a school bus driver and the worst thing the city did was shut down the bus industry for many reasons. The school bus drivers never wanted to and were ready to go back to work at any given time. By them shutting down the companies all they did was make us not ready for work when schools reopen. This had nothing to do with sitting home and collecting a free check because at the end of the day we sat home and collected unemployment as well as losing our medical benefits when we wanted to work. We were UNABLE to go to work, it wasn't we didn't want to go to work and that's a big difference. The city and DOE had 6 months to put plans together but they had other "obligations" to partake in. The school bus drivers are apart of the school industry and it's disgusting how everyone involved in the DOE/BOE from janitors, nurses, teachers, principals, lunch aides, and paraprofessionals were all taken care of by keeping their pay and benefits while the school bus drivers had to and still are dealing with a broken unemployment system. All in all the school bus drivers want to and are ready to go back to work. It is the safest way for children to go to school if parents can not take them. Before the shut down we took all the safety precautions to make sure the bus was safe and still will whenever we return. All I am saying is that if schools are going to get delayed then the school bus drivers have to get taken care of as well rather then continue to deal with a broken unemployment system.

faceit

All lives matter

Buzz

Very good, WigWag16, but I'm not clear ... did you initiate the contact with the counclman?
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WigWag16

Quote from: Buzz on August 21, 2020, 12:05:15 AM
Very good, WigWag16, but I'm not clear ... did you initiate the contact with the counclman?

I saw it on a post so he actually responded stating " I just posted about this. City Hall has recklessly not signed any contracts yet leaving drivers in the dark without health insurance as well. It is unacceptable. The state legislature voted to give the mayor full control over schools including bus contracts until June 2022. Until then we must do everything we can to amplify voices and hold them accountable. I'll continue to do just that while keeping folks posted." I wrote back saying well the voices helping the school bus drivers aren't being heard to be taken care of like other school positions. Yeah

wheresmymoney!

All this is very good.  Whos gonna see it? Is it someone who can help us?