Master Pick

Started by Stugots, July 12, 2020, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

It's very simple for each of us to send a letter or email or pickup the phone and contact as many elected officials as possible. Also tell ur family and friends to do the same. Obviously besides the hardships it would bring on thousands of School Bus Employees both active and retired (pensions), you have to stress what chaos it would cause for the school children and their parents. I don't know if it will help or not but it definitely won't hurt. Just imagine the impact it would have if all the NY politicians (council members, assembly members, senators, etc., got a few thousand correspondences on this matter in the next week or so. Then on top of that you have the parents jump aboard. As I said I don't know if this no busing is going to go through or not but I'm not hearing ANYTHING from our Reps and I'm not hearing ANYTHING from the Mayor's Office or the DOE! The only people that we're hearing from is each other (which isn't a bad thing don't get me wrong) but I sure  you know where I'm coming from.

steady

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/07/state-unveils-guidelines-for-reopening-schools-across-new-york.html

The city has to show a plan which includes busing with a July 31st deadline to the state.  Scroll down to the category for transportation.  It discuses school busing.

PROUD MEMBER

Yes I saw the article and read it and mysteriously it leaves out the part about general education bussing. It states " Districts will continue to provide transportation for homeless students, students in homeless care, those who attend religious, independent or charter schools, and those with disabilities - - as they always have." Maybe I'm reading too much into it but from what I see it doesn't include general education public school transportation. As I said in an earlier comment no matter what it cannot hurt to get as many politicians and parents involved right NOW just in case the shit hits the fan!

steady

I think your looking for specifics, don't.  Just focus on the state wants a plan for all avenues concerning school busing.  The longest we'll have to wait is 2 weeks, it could be sooner.  The article also addresses the drivers and that we have to be trained and supported.  I believe supported means protected (face masks etc.)

Hammer2161

I too read that article yesterday, last I can recall catholic schools have never received busing before public schools. Unfortunately this seems to be an ever evolving situation that we are unable to control. But I do agree with Proud Member and we should try to be proactive by potentially reaching out to our congressmen and so on. Our concerns and the concerns of the parents and children we transport back and forth to school are real and hopefully sooner than later they will be addressed.