Yard meeting Friday 5:30

Started by Buzz, November 15, 2013, 01:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Ernie will be holding a meeting at the yard tomorrow at 5:30. He will give you a rundown of the contract and you can ask him your questions about the contract and the pick.

The only issues I can see that would influence how we pick are: How we get paid Presidents' Week and other public school holidays, and overtime. Ernie will explain those things (and the rest of the contract) to everybody's satisfaction.  As long as we know in advance how we are getting paid, it should be sufficient for us to pick a run on that basis. Under those conditions, I personally see no reason to delay the pick, and truthfully, it would be unfair to people who would be stuck on runs they have now that they might not have picked under the terms of the new contract.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Thanks for the update. It is well appreciated but unfortunate. From the majority of people on this site and the people I have spoke to in person we all feel just the opposite. It's unfair to force us to pick before a contract is voted on. If what you say is true it's apparent the voice of the majority doesn't mean a thing. That's a shame I thought this was a Union not a Dictatorship.

worker341

I don't understand why Ernie has to always speak about issues to us,lets do it right and let a rep from the Union office come down and explain things to us. Ernie always gets the heat from us. We have a right to express ourselves to the Union officals who get a nice fat pay check. Let them get the anger we have with this bullshit contract not Ernie he is a driver just like us. And again, any vote for a contract should be in a ballot box so bring the box down, so no has to know how we voted. Just count the votes in front of us. 

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 15, 2013, 02:26:03 AM
Buzz
It's unfair to force us to pick before a contract is voted on.

Maybe I'm missing something here, if so, please tell me. As long as you know the terms of the contract as it relates to how you will choose a run, why is it necessary to first vote on the contract before you pick? Guess that's the part I don't understand.

rc1790

Buzz I believe that in priority order, most people feel that the contract needs to be dealt with first. Staying on current runs until January does not seem like too much of an issue. Routes are always subject to change anyway. Most people would probably keep the same runs anyway except for those who need to get to the yard 10 min earlier.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
There is 3 things your missing. First of all standing in the dark & cold listening to someone reading 5 or ten lines of a contract is not the same as reading the 40 or 50 pages thoroughly then discussing it in an UNRUSHED manner. Secondly until voted on and signed Neil could just change his mine. Lastly and MOST IMPORTANTLY it appears the majority would rather vote first and pick later. After all Buzz this is why you have this site isn't it? It's not about me, you or Ernie it's about talking & listening to all the brothers and sisters of Pioneer and doing what the majority feels is in our best interest.

rc1790

Buzz, Why cant the union provide us with a location suitable to discuss this contract such as a Knights of Columbus or other location? How much could it possibly cost for 2 hours or so? Even if the drivers, as a last resort kicked in 5 dollars each. The MTA union owns a hall in Great Kills that we visited during our strike. I am sure they would help us out to rent their space. We should have indoor meetings every 4 months or so. At least there would be a more open forum for our concerns. Just a thought. And secondly, management would not be around to listen in.

Buzz

First of all, it really doesn't make a difference to me either way whether we pick now or not. I just said that I don't see a reason not to if we know the terms beforehand and that it could be unfair to people stuck on runs, especially overtime runs, that they probably would not have taken.

You make good points about having to have a meeting outside in the cold. And, yes it is last-minute. I acknowledge that from the comments here, the majority seem to want a contract first, which I am not opposed to, but, comfort aside,  I still don't see a single solid reason posted as to what difference it makes if we have the pick anyway, as long as we know how we're getting paid. Still, it doesn't matter to me whether we do or not (except that I'm against November picks from the get-go).

All I can suggest is that you speak up at the meeting and make your concerns heard.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 15, 2013, 04:52:49 AM
It's not about me, you or Ernie it's about talking & listening to all the brothers and sisters of Pioneer and doing what the majority feels is in our best interest.

Yep, and I'm glad to know all your opinions and was just giving mine.

1union

It might not be important to you but some people want to see how he plans to screw us for next yr.That being said its about time the union start to listen to the member s and stop worrying about what management likes.Union has to understand we want to see and hear from them not get my info threw the card table.Other unions hold in house meetings so they can show unity and keep members posted. At this point he doesn't have my money by next payday  I will file civil court and join some others who will be getting our own attorney s.Union has to understand that we will not be shit on anymore!