Adios Amigos

Started by Buzz, October 17, 2023, 01:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Two or three Pioneer buses were dispatched to the former St. John Villa to transport migrants to the Roosevelt Hotel in the city after their p.m runs.

A few days ago migrants were removed from the former Hungerford school (and OTC before that) in Clifton due to asbestos being found during an inspection. So, wait ... for years and years that building was being used as a special ed school WITH asbestos?

Anyway, the reason for given for their removal from Villa was due to an FDNY inspection finding a lack of a sprinkler system and fire alarms. (I'm sure all the protests had nothing to do with the sudden inspection ... LOL.)

BTW, that building is now owned by the city and will become an elementary, junior high and high school ... completion expected around 2029. Yes, 2029! By comparison, the Empire State building was finished in 1 year, 45 days. smh

Here's the notice that was posted on a door at Villa ...

villa fdny.jpg
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Golfnut

As far as Hungerford goes ,From what I understand there are different Safety codes if there is overnight sleeping as opposed to being there at other times regarding Asbestos

Buzz

@Golfnut - I understand what you're saying but it was, nonetheless, a school. I got into Pioneer ... back when it was hard to do so ... because of asbestos in schools.

Back in '93 asbestos was discovered in some schools which delayed the opening in September for a week or two. They hired about 20 of us to shuttle kids from schools that had rooms that could not be used from their school to the former CSI. It wasn't Petrides yet. Then we would take them back to their school in time for dismissal from their schools in the afternoon. (I assume they assembled in their schools in a gym or auditorium that was asbestos free in the a.m and p.m.)

Here's one of the articles online about it ... https://www.edweek.org/education/asbestos-debacle-delays-the-start-of-school-in-n-y-c/1993/09

Golfnut

A very good friend of mine is the Fire Safety Coordinator at Hungerford and this is what he told me . Different Asbestos regulations for overnight lodging .

Buzz

Quote from: Golfnut on October 17, 2023, 03:15:34 PMA very good friend of mine is the Fire Safety Coordinator at Hungerford and this is what he told me . Different Asbestos regulations for overnight lodging .

Yes, I believe you. Not questioning that.

What I'm saying is, if asbestos in schools made them unusable in 1993, how is it this condition was allowed to exist in the Hungerford school until it was moved to a new school at Petrides just a few years ago? They re-inspected all the schools in the city in 1993 when they found out the head of the city's asbestos task force falsified reports saying they were asbestos-free. It was a school since 1967 (originally called OTC .. Occupational Training Center.)

Not disputing your point about its use as a migrant shelter at all.  Capeesh?

Golfnut

Not disputing what you're saying at all. I just wanted u to know where I got my Information from . I'm trying to explain myself asbestos I can ! ( See what I did there?)

Buzz

Mexican Word of the Day.  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Asbestos I can.jpg

Golfnut

Slowbus

mirrorcheck

Why did it take so long for Asbestos and fire codes ti be known in the first place ? thats what's pathetic on NYC . They will put them anywhere .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.