Pension year ..

Started by Golfnut, November 18, 2020, 04:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golfnut

When we got hired do we start paying into the Union right away ? I started Shaping in November but but my "Hire Date" is the Beginning of May . I'm trying to figure out if my pension year started in November when I got Hired of that year or May when my Seniority started ..

yabba

Quote from: Golfnut on November 18, 2020, 04:07:58 PM
When we got hired do we start paying into the Union right away ? I started Shaping in November but but my "Hire Date" is the Beginning of May . I'm trying to figure out if my pension year started in November when I got Hired of that year or May when my Seniority started ..

i would say May.and then your pension year wouldnt have started till sept... if you have your 1st pay stubs,look and see when they started taking pension out,thats the way of telling..just take into consideration you need the 1000 hours regardless from Sept till june ( estimated 25 pay checks with pension deductions for the school year ),.. also call 1181 and request a pension statement..

Golfnut

Buzz

Quote from: Golfnut on November 18, 2020, 04:07:58 PM

Are you sure you were a "shape" from November to May? Sounds like you were a casual who was shaping until May. Pretty sure your hire date is when you became a shape.

Why the pension questions lately? Has it been 10 years already? I remember seeing you and 6 or 8 other guys sitting in the office one morning with Ernie when you were hired.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Golfnut

Yes , My Hire Date was November 19, 2010 and my Seniority Date was May 2, 2011 . Funny thing was I had my own Run I think starting in January 2011 with my name on the Run and everything but Didn't go to the union till May for some reason. I just want to make sure I have 10 Pension Years when I hit 55 in October 2022. We are thinking of moving and I just want to have some kind of timeline . Has nothing to do with me disliking the Job . It's just that we want to move ....

Buzz

Quote from: Golfnut on November 18, 2020, 10:53:57 PM
Yes , My Hire Date was November 19, 2010 and my Seniority Date was May 2, 2011 . Funny thing was I had my own Run I think starting in January 2011 with my name on the Run and everything but Didn't go to the union till May for some reason.

All the more reason I believe you were a casual from November to May. You're not actually in the union until you become a shape, though they may have collected a $50 deposit from you while you were casual. And I'll bet if you check, you didn't start paying into the pension until May. If this is a pensionable year you should have 10 years in come May.

That your run had your name on it means nothing. You didn't pick it, did you? They just gave you a run to do and back then I believe Bobby could still make changes on runs ... like put the right names on them.

Golfnut

They showed me 2 runs and said "Pick one" . ... I guess they were the last 2 left.. I guess I will have to call the Union to find out . I still have at least 2 more years to hit 55 so  I'll be around anyways .. Thanks for the help Buzz !

Golfnut

Yes, I agree I must have been a "casual".

Buzz

Quote from: Golfnut on November 19, 2020, 03:48:33 AM
I still have at least 2 more years to hit 55 so  I'll be around anyways ..

That's reassuring. Good men like you are hard to find.   ;D ;D ;D

Golfnut

Thank you Barry ! Much appreciated !! Same goes for you !!  :wink1: