News article talking about rumors of DOE buying out school bus companies

Started by snypster, May 13, 2020, 04:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Been a Member for 17 years and I hear this rumor every few years. Although probably cost worthy to the City I doubt if it would happen now. First off with the Pandemic to much shit going on to make it happen. Secondly, the City has contracts (at least with the Legacy companies) until June of 2023.

yabba

the city will never...they know it will cost them at least 3x what they pay the contractors...

LMR

Just more BS rumors by 1181 and other school bus industry haters

Hammer2161

Financially the city is in no way prepared to buy out bus companies let alone get a system in place to operate said companies. They are inept at running the MTA how can they possibly just step in and take over the school busing industry. This is just more propaganda being put out there to further complicate an unfortunate bad decision they made concerning said companies. Good luck to the DOE when it comes time to reopen the schools. A large majority of these companies will not be prepared to reopen at a moments notice.

Buzz

I did hear recently that the city was floating this ill-conceived idea and testing the waters with some smaller companies. Good luck with that.

Maybe they could afford to buy out some smaller companies. They might have no choice if some of them can't make it through the economic crisis and have no choice to go out of business like Bauman.

If memory serves me correctly, they actually did buy out a couple of small companies a few years ago. They did nothing with them and to the best of my knowledge just put their work up for bid by other companies. Don't quote me on that, but it's how I remember it.

I don't see any way they could take over the bigger companies. Talking about hundreds of millions ... if not billions ... to buy them out and lease the properties. But again, in at least one instance they may have no choice. Because Reliant has only been able to stay solvent the past 6 years because of a few hundred million dollars in grants from de Blasio, I think they would be the first big company to fold.

The city would have to not only buy them out but assume $100 million in pension liability for their employees. Either that or find other companies willing to do the same. And that's just ONE company.

So this pipe dream of the city's started a few years ago. They have not been able to put it together in all this time ... they're going to do it in 3 months? With money they claim they don't have? Can't see it happening.

One thing is certain: No matter what happens, the job we go back to in September ... or whenever ... will be nothing like the job we left on March 13th.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

hideout

Not only our job won't be the same but school itself. I can see less kids on the bus socially distanced, staggered hours with two or three trips into a school which we normally would have done in one trip. Also the latest ATU newsletter showed a major transit system in Ohio outfitting all of their buses with marine grade plastic barrier between the driver and passengers. Yes I think we all agree with Buzz life has changed as we know it.

OMG

If I were you guys, I wouldn't rule this out. It's not inconceivable and can be done. Who remembers green bus lines, Triboro coach, queens surface, command bus, Who are they working for now and who took over their routes.

faceit

Those routes always belonged to the city..  the city was already paying for the property they were on.now they work for the MTA and have a MTA pension So that transition was easy for the city..
All lives matter

faceit

All lives matter

OMG

Well Pioneer doesn't own their routes, they bid on them just like the companies I mentioned above did. And I am almost 100% certain that the city did not own the property those companies pulled out of. The old Varsity school bus company share the same yard as command bus, along with Triboro coach and varsity. When varsity shut down, the owner turned it into an airport parking lot, so I doubt the city would do with that if they owned the property. In actuality, it would be a pretty easy transition.

Buzz

Quote from: OMG on May 13, 2020, 06:28:18 PM
If I were you guys, I wouldn't rule this out. It's not inconceivable and can be done. Who remembers green bus lines, Triboro coach, queens surface, command bus, Who are they working for now and who took over their routes.

You have a good point. The city actually took over 7 private bus lines between 2005 and 2006. I won't say it's impossible but it would probably happen in stages, if at all, due to the city's current fiscal situation.

faceit

Command was forced out of varsity's yard becouse the city built them a new facility by the post office off wortman Ave. And triboro always had there own yard across from varsity
All lives matter

OMG

That's exactly what I said, the city never owned the property those companies had, they were privately owned. Maybe now they do but not then. I worked for Varsity and pulled out of fountain ave. On weekends I would do a few Command runs in & out of Aquaduct race track. Varsity, Command, and Triboro Coach we're owned by the same owner, Stanley Bretschneider, because he married into the Cooper family

faceit

All lives matter

snypster

Well , I am just hoping that the city makes a decision soon about our situation , because as it looks now, even if the city is ready for school in September , there is no way we will be ready to go back.
Between drivers expiring medicals, refresher classes, Covid training, not to mention that I understand all drivers will need To be recertified , (after 30 days or more of furlough),September seems  very unlikely , so let's hope we get some answers soon.

snypster

http://laborpress.org/school-bus-companies-on-the-brink-16k-drivers-out-of-work/
(Not sure if you posted this  article already buzz ,sorry, if you did )

OMG

I think as far as expired medicals, certifications, etc. The city will overlook that, they'll have no choice. We all know they've been known to change the rules with the snap of a finger, or make new rules with the snap of a finger

genejaco

The people at NYS DMV said that the medical's can not expire.  Even if your CDL expires, your medical cannot expire.

Buzz

Quote from: genejaco on June 14, 2020, 06:57:10 PM
The people at NYS DMV said that the medical's can not expire.  Even if your CDL expires, your medical cannot expire.

Not true:

"Please note: DMV will temporarily stop the process of downgrading CDLs due to expiring Medical Certifications until further notice. The downgrade process will resume after the state of emergency is lifted and normal processing may occur."

https://dmv.ny.gov/commercial-drivers/cdl-medical-certification-requirements

"Please note: We are aware that many carriers are experiencing difficulty in completing their annual and biennial 19-A procedures due to constraints caused by the COVID-19 emergency. While the Bus Driver Unit urges you to make every effort to comply with 19-A procedural requirements, please be assured that full consideration of the circumstances will be given when conducting future compliance reviews. "

https://dmv.ny.gov/motor-carriers/information-and-forms-article-19