Will New Teacher Contract Mean More Runs?

Started by Buzz, May 28, 2014, 01:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

The new UFT contract effectively eliminates extended day instruction for students. Instead, teachers will put in an additional 80 minutes after school on Mondays, and 75 minutes on Tuesday for professional development and "parent engagement."

My initial response was that we would lose runs due to the number of runs that were created with the advent of extended day instruction, but quite the opposite may well be true. All public schools are going to be looking for start times of 8:00 to 8:20 with dismissals of 2:20 to 2:40. (The school day is 6 hours 20 minutes.)

The reason is, school cannot start before 8 a.m. ... that is, teachers don't start before then ... and teachers can't work past 4:00. Therefore, to fit their extra 80 minutes in on Mondays, dismissals cannot be later than 2:40. So, there is only a 20-minute window, morning and afternoon, for all public schools start and dismissal times. (Not sure how this relates to junior highs.)

And, to complicate matters, there's no saying that the hours will be the same on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays as they are on Mondays and Tuesdays. On the last 3 days of the week, dismissal times can be as late as 3:45 if the school chooses. (Teachers don't stay late on those days.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out ... hopefully in our favor. One thing I think we can count on .... a LOT of run changes over the summer.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

hognol

Maybe now is the time to apply for a job at OPT.

worker341

Sorry to say without the EPP in place we will not see more runs, Extra runs usually go to the lowest bidder first and Pioneer Bus Co. is not the lowest Bidder. He just likes to pay less.

Buzz

Quote from: worker341 on May 28, 2014, 03:55:56 AM
Sorry to say without the EPP in place we will not see more runs, Extra runs usually go to the lowest bidder first and Pioneer Bus Co. is not the lowest Bidder. He just likes to pay less.

Well, this will be effective as of September  ... no time to put new work out for bids, and Pioneer's contract with the EPP is good through June 2015. I think we'll get something out of it. (And I think we will see the EPP restored before then anyway ... just my opinion.)

gigi11744

you have a valid point ,,i just dont see the teachers there until 3:45 to teach the children

Buzz

Quote from: gigi11744 on May 28, 2014, 04:52:29 PM
you have a valid point ,,i just dont see the teachers there until 3:45 to teach the children

Oh, I don't either. But the contract does specify that on Wed., Thurs., and Fri., the dismissal time could be as late as 3:45 ... which would mean start time would have to be 9:25 a.m. We all know that's not going to happen.

terminator

NO CHANCE that the teachers work until 345!!!