Alternatives to COBRA

Started by Buzz, May 01, 2020, 02:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Found a couple of articles that might be of interest. Also, for Affordable Care Act insurance we would likely qualify for a "Special Enrollment Period" defined as follows:

"You qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you've had certain life events, including losing health coverage, moving, getting married, having a baby, or adopting a child. Depending on your Special Enrollment Period type, you may have 60 days before or 60 days following the event to enroll in a plan.

https://www.thebalance.com/alternatives-to-cobra-health-insurance-2385910

This one solicits business at the end, but still useful information.
https://www.healthedeals.com/blog/save/unemployed-health-insurance/
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

I spoke with Ernie this morning and he assured me as he has everyone that the Executive Board is working diligently with everyone involved. I specifically asked him about Cobra and he told me to contact the Welfare Fund. He also EMPHASIZED at this time it is each individual's decision what to do as far as Medical goes. So I contacted the Welfare Fund and this is what I was told.

That if anyone is concerned about Cobra that they (the Welfare Fund) will be starting to contact Cobra as early as today with the names of all Members.
Once Cobra receives our information they will send us a letter on how to go about getting it IF you choose to.
I was also told that if you pay the full price (whatever that may be), that you will have the EXACT same coverage as you've had. Hospital, Doctors, Prescriptions, Dental & Optical.
Also as long as you are enrolled in Cobra Coverage by May 31st it will be retro back to May 1st.

This is what I was told. Hopefully it's all correct. I'd advise if anyone is interested to call themselves.
718-845-5800
I pressed option 1 but I would assume you can talk to anyone.

wheresmymoney!

i wonder if we can find out how much its going to cost ahead of time.  so we know how to proceed? it would be nice to have the exact same coverage.  Im going to call too. like what if something happens between now and the tine we get the coverage.  how will that be handled? 

wheresmymoney!

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on May 01, 2020, 04:17:14 PM
i wonder if we can find out how much its going to cost ahead of time.  so we know how to proceed? it would be nice to have the exact same coverage.  Im going to call too. like what if something happens between now and the tine we get the coverage.  how will that be handled?
okay so we are on the same page, its 1,972 for family coverage and i think she said single coverage is around 900.  so you have this information now and can make an informed decision.  i spoke with Iris.  dont know about you, but i definately can not afford 1972.00 per month. 

PROUD MEMBER

Let us know how you make out with the call. I asked her enough questions and forgot to ask about the price (which she probably doesn't know), but you never know. If she doesn't know I'd assume that if we are paying in full it would probably be about $1600 for the family plan and $1200 for the individual plan. Obviously that's per month. Hopefully it will be less and not more but when Cobra contacts us we'll find out for sure.

PROUD MEMBER

$1972 is a big nut but to put it into perspective I just came from CVS and inquired about JUST two of my prescriptions. For a 90 day supply. One was $1,666.99 and the other was $1,860.99

Buzz

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on May 01, 2020, 04:17:14 PM

PROUD MEMBER wrote, "Also as long as you are enrolled in Cobra Coverage by May 31st it will be retro back to May 1st." I'm assuming that's what he was told on the phone. This is not completely correct.

The union has 30 days to notify COBRA. COBRA will send an election form within 14 days of that notification. You then have 60 days to decide. If you pay the premium due at that time you will be covered from the first day of the qualifying event. (Loss of coverage, May 1.)

This flow chart lays it out very clearly >>>  https://www.benstrat.com/downloads/COBRA_FAQ-Member.pdf

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

wheresmymoney!

my family is going to have to use spouse's insurance which seemed really high until i called Iris.  definatly puts its all into perspective.