DOE Legacy Company Update

Started by Buzz, December 21, 2018, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

yabba

how did the committee do yesterday with the proposal....   :o :o

Carlos eveillard

Hey  guys Whats going on with the contract

Buzz

Buzz

The negotiation committee did meet Thursday and they are awaiting  a response from the contractors on some issues on which they were not in agreement. We waited this long, I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer to find out what's what. (Considering they've been negotiating since last April, a baby would have been born in less time!)

yabba

the baby also gets fed along the way,so im sure we will get retro     :yes: :yes: :yawn: :yawn:

Buzz

I've always felt, (and made it known), that it would serve everybody's interest better if we were kept informed every step of the way throughout negotiations. I understand the union's reluctance to do so because there would invariably be people who say, "But you told us we were getting XY and Z and we're not getting Z," when something was presented but not necessarily agreed upon at the time ... or ever.

If we were updated every meeting that, "This is what the owners offered," and, "This was our counter proposal," or, "This is what we asked for," and, "This is what they said," with the understanding that this was just TALK and nothing was in writing, it would make us feel that we're a part of the process. It is after all, about US.

I think it would give a better sense of transparency and understanding as to how a final agreement ... an MOA ... was reached and why we may have gotten some things and may not have gotten other things. There would be no doubt in our minds that it was not  for lack of trying in every conceivable way. (And they DO try in every conceivable way, even if we're deprived of a play-by-play.)

People would feel more confident that our union did the very best they possibly could for us ... and they absolutely do, but frequent, detailed updates would give everybody the reassurance they want and need. They just do not understand how much people resent not knowing what's going on.

I think everybody would have a greater appreciation for the work that went into negotiating a contract, and when we finally do get a contract to vote on, people would feel much better about ratifying it ... or not ... if they had a complete understanding of exactly how that agreement was reached, and there would be no surprises.

But who am I? (Other than a dues-paying union member.)

LMR

PROUD MEMBER

I agree with you but .... It has never been done like that and I'd assume it's not that easy. Each negotiation meeting is probably 4 to 6 hrs and to repeat what was said and who said it and then after that if it was posted then you would have thousands of dues paying members arguing about what they like and don't like. Especially now since different properties have different contracts (at least I think so) and different employees (new Hires & senior Members) at each of those properties have different contracts it would only create more havoc. We have already been asked what each and everyone of us are looking for and that's what our Reps are basing their talks on.  So when an agreement is met and put before us then we let our Reps know if we want to ratify it or not. I think 1181 has been around for about 70 years and up until about 7 years ago (Bloomberg) none of us were interested in the negotiations (with the exception of maybe 1979) until it was put in front of us. But to quote Buzz ... Who am I?

yabba

members in the past did not have to be intrested in negotiations,we never gave up what we did in the past few contracts. it was a different union back then ,we always walked away with a decent contract ...  and the bloomberg era is over,and remember the big companies never lost a penny because of bloomberg...we are the only ones who got hurt,so its time we get our loses back and see increases 

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on January 07, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
Each negotiation meeting is probably 4 to 6 hrs and to repeat what was said and who said it ...

Of course I'm not talking about word-for-word with quotes from everyone who spoke. I mean the Reader's Digest condensed version. Basically the "minutes" as are kept at union meetings. But I think you missed the whole gist of my post.

Remember the couple of times the owners gave copies and emails of their proposals? And kind of forced the union to come back with a rebuttal? I'm saying the union should have initiated that kind of communication throughout.

LMR

Yabba, you say we never had to show an interest in the past because we never gave up nothing like the last two contracts.I think we always need to be involved.Yes we have representation by our elected union delegates but our vigilance shouldn't be neglected.We should all be involved,the rank and file as well as our Union leaders.

PROUD MEMBER

LMR
I hear where you & Buzz are coming from ... but ... Approximately 8 weeks ago Ernie & Anthony (delegate not to be confused with Asst. Steward) both came to our yard on 4 separate occasions to discuss in person (not in an email as the owners did) the negotiations. This way we could respond to and ask questions and give our opinions. Each time they came it was announced ahead of time that they'd be there. Each of those 4 times at an average there was 25 members there. Out of those 25, 15 or more were only there because they had to go back to the yard that day for defensive driving, a written test, a hearing, Matrons that go back every day and sit in the driver's room, etc.. Otherwise there would only have been about 8 people that returned to listen to what our Reps had to say about the negotiations. 5 of those 8 being New Hires. I know this to be a fact because I went back to the yard all 4 times. I'm not looking to start an argument, I'm just saying ur looking for emails meanwhile 99% of our yard didn't even go back one time!

Buzz

And exactly what did you learn during their 4 visits? Please share the specifics.

PROUD MEMBER

Obviously I learned more than any information that would have been provided in any emails. More importantly I learned that unfortunately a lot of Members like to talk but are lazy and quite possibly I'll really don't give a shit and I'll leave it at that!

Buzz

sbdriver1

What's going to happen is the union will come in with a proposal, say this is the best we can do and either you vote to approve it or we walk.

Buzz

Quote from: sbdriver1 on January 09, 2019, 02:52:17 AM
What's going to happen is the union will come in with a proposal, say this is the best we can do and either you vote to approve it or we walk.

That is exactly what is going to happen. That's why I contend it would be a lot more palatable if we understood how we got to that proposal throughout the negotiations.

yabba

i will never understand that there is no going back to the table     

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on January 09, 2019, 06:13:01 PM
i will never understand that there is no going back to the table   

What's hard to understand? Once the owners give their "Best and Final" offer they, in effect, are refusing any further negotiation. They're saying "Either your members ratify this contract as is or you can go on strike."

It's as plain as can be.

(That's not to say that it doesn't suck. But at that point there are only 2 options: Ratify or strike.)

yabba

sucks is putting it mildly...   years back we never had this last  and final offer bs

Buzz

Unfortunately, better days are behind us.

The only thing I see saving this industry is a complete take-over by the city.

LMR

Look,since we lost the EPP,and getting no results from the strike things have not been in our favor to say the least.We weren't proactive in securing the EPP and as we all know, the rest is history.Lets just try to stay positive and let's see what they present to us.Bottom line,we need to see those who came in under the last two contracts have their salaries and benefits elevated to what is fair and create an  environment that would be conducive to attract new hires and fill the void in our work force.Stay positive and stay strong .Remember,"In Union There Is Stregnth!!💪👊