1099 strike pay?

Started by yabba, January 29, 2014, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yabba

did anyone recieve the 1099 from 1181 yet?

PROUD MEMBER

No I have not received mine yet. Also when you do before you do your taxes I would check with Ernie. I'm pretty sure we should receive one from 1181 and one from the International.

Buzz

We'll only be receiving one 1099 for the pay from both the local and the international. Some have already been mailed, the rest will be mailed by week's end.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

My 1099 came today ... I know others got theirs too.

gigi11744

try and find out why taxes were not listed i pay taxes on that 2 dollars every week,im i wrong here

PROUD MEMBER

gigi11744
I'm not sure about State & City but according to our weekly pay stubs we pay federal taxes on everything (except our medical) every week. THAT INCLUDES OUR STRIKE FUND DEDUCTION. The only thing I could suggest is ask Ernie or better yet call the Local Headquarters and ask to speak to the Treasurer.

PROUD MEMBER

By the way DON'T FORGET WE ONLY PAY $2 A WEEtK into the STRIKE FUND. So that only comes out to approximately $80 for the year. So we're only talking about taxes on $80. NOT ON HOW MUCH MONEY WE RECEIVED FROM THE STRIKE FUND.

yabba

Trust me proud member I have pAid that 80.00 many times over the years.   A lot more then the 950.00 I received. 

gigi11744

when u pay ur taxes this year that 950.00 is added to your total income ,,,thus u pay taxes on the 950.00 which u paid taxes on already,but notr showing on the 1099

Buzz

I'm not seeing why this would be any different than, say, our pension ... deducted from after-tax dollars, yet when you get the pension you pay taxes, no? There is no allowance for the amount you actually put in, right?

According to the IRS, "Strike and lockout benefits.   Benefits paid to you by a union as strike or lockout benefits, including both cash and the fair market value of other property, are usually included in your income as compensation. You can exclude these benefits from your income only when the facts clearly show that the union intended them as gifts to you."

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch12.html#en_US_2013_publink1000172147  (Scroll to bottom of page)

PROUD MEMBER

Don't get me wrong I hope u guys are right. I am not an accountant or a expert on taxes. And I also have paid more over the years than the $950.00 I received. But I would have to ASSUME over the years of all the taxes we pay some of it goes toward Unemployment Funds yet in the summer when we collect unemployment we have to pay taxes on it. Why should the Strike Fund be different?

Manwithabus

Buzz, just knowing that you went out of your way to find out that answer for us gets you a well deserved THANK YOU.  Enjoy the weekend.

Buzz

Quote from: Manwithabus on January 31, 2014, 11:56:40 PM
Buzz, just knowing that you went out of your way to find out that answer for us gets you a well deserved THANK YOU.  Enjoy the weekend.

Quite welcome and you do the same. Of course if they just would have put "Gift" on the check ....  ;D

(Good luck if you're in the pool!)

gigi11744

thks for reply   ...now to acct, to figure out if its a gift...just never ends

yabba

gift yayyyy..then they will raise our union dues to pay the gift tax... :)) :)) :)) :))....  but it is a 1099 and we have no choice but to claim it so this one we can blame  uncle sam for..  does anyone know if welfare recipriants get a 1099..  :wave: :wave: