Sunrise Was At 6:47 This Morning

Started by Buzz, November 19, 2015, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I'm trying to understand this DOT inspector's preoccupation with school bus signs. In regard to "School Bus" signs, here is the DOT's own regulation Section 720.3(B)(1)(i):

"In the event that any such vehicle is operated on a public highway
during the period between one-half hour after sunset and
one-half hour before sunrise, each such sign must be illuminated
so as to be visible from a point at least 500 feet distant."

So ... correct me if I'm wrong ... any buses that left AFTER 6:17 (half hour before sunrise) this morning did NOT have to have their signs illuminated.

Please somebody, print out Section 720.3(B)(1)(i) on page 7 of the regs and read it to the inspector ... https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/bus-repository/busregs1.pdf

Maybe it is he, and not the signs, that needs to be "illuminated."
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

Notwithstanding ... it may be an OPT regulation that the signs have to be on all the time ... I don't know because we're never given their long list of regulations in writing ... but that is still no concern of DOT. (And during most days one would not know whether the lights are on or not.)

Also, the inspector has complained about of signs that have popped out of their holders (older buses) and are not entirely visible and he's right about pointing them out.

Buzz

By the way, kudos to Steve and the shop on their DOT record ... for the 2014-15 school year only 1.7% OOS buses as compared to the Bronx 15.1%.

Scroll down to "P" if you want to see ... https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/bus-repository/Bus%2520Operator%2520Profiles%25202014_2015.pdf

gigi11744

Sunrise 6:47 bus leaves 6:17 one half hour before sunrise signs should be illuminated...rite,and as for the shop being congratulated , I think they got this inspectors panties in a bunch in the first place

Buzz

Quote from: gigi11744 on November 20, 2015, 09:03:36 AM
Sunrise 6:47 bus leaves 6:17 one half hour before sunrise signs should be illuminated...rite,and as for the shop being congratulated , I think they got this inspectors panties in a bunch in the first place

Read it again ... has to be illuminated,  "during the period between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise" ... so as of one half hour before 6:47 (after 6:17) lights would not have to be on.