School opening delayed to Sept. 21

Started by WigWag, September 01, 2020, 05:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

So, what's going to change in 11 days? Hmm ...
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WigWag16

Quote from: Buzz on September 01, 2020, 05:42:43 PM

[/quote

Yeah until we get pushed back again lol....

Schools are safe for teachers to go back on the 8th but not safe for students on the 10th, where is the logic on this!?!

yabba

Quote from: Buzz on September 01, 2020, 05:42:43 PM

nothing will change but 100% full remote... thats what will be happening... we are screwed 

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on September 01, 2020, 06:02:43 PM
nothing will change but 100% full remote... thats what will be happening... we are screwed

According to DOE website, full-day remote learning will start the 21st as well.

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-year-20-21/return-to-school-2020/welcome-to-the-2020-2021-school-year

yabba

i mean no in classrom will happen... you wont see classroom till next year

OMG

That's not what I read, blended learning also begins on the 21st we're kids learn remotely and in the classroom

yabba

Quote from: OMG on September 01, 2020, 06:38:34 PM
That's not what I read, blended learning also begins on the 21st we're kids learn remotely and in the classroom

That's true but by the 21st the UFT will cry about something else and win

WigWag16

Here's the break down...
Teachers report Sept 8th 9th

September 10, 11, 14, 15 prep days. No kids

September 16, 17, 18 FULL REMOTE

SEPTEMBER 21 Full Blended schedule

yabba

parent also have to agree to radom in school covid testing in order for kid to attend classroom....  the UFT set it up to fail...a lot of parents are  not going to let their kids be tested without being there.

Buzz

From DOE website:

Wednesday, September 16, Thursday, September 17, and Friday September 18, 2020

Instructional Orientation
    All students will
        Reconnect to their school community
        Learn the health and safety procedures
        Check technical connectivity
        Have wellness checks with their teachers and guidance staff

Monday, September 21, 2020

All schools will begin full-day teaching and learning
    All schools will begin full-day teaching and learning
        Students in blended learning (combination of in-person and remote) will begin to report to buildings, depending on their in-person schedule
        Students in 100% remote learning will all begin full-day learning

Hammer2161

Ok so fair enough the delay is till September 21st.
But and here's the big BUTTTT what happens if the city doesn't get the funding from either the state or federal government's and they are forced to lay off the supposed 9000 people throughout the BOE.

The Delay tactics continue!!!!

Stereo

I personally see it going back again for the most of us, with a few going back sooner. A inclined start from the top of the drivers list to the bottom.

WigWag16

Quote from: Stereo on September 01, 2020, 08:18:48 PM
I personally see it going back again for the most of us, with a few going back sooner. A inclined start from the top of the drivers list to the bottom.

I don't think it's going that way. I was told that it's going by the schools that open the drivers that have those schools not seniority. Like if you Jewish opens an uses pioneer, if you have a Jewish school on your run you're working not by seniority numbers, same with DOE, you'll drive your run for your schools not by seniority

WigWag16

Here's a cluster fuck of a read

For Immediate Release — Tuesday, September 1, 2020

UFT Fact Sheet on School Opening Agreement

Under the terms of the agreement, all New York City public school buildings will remain closed to students until September 21, while final safety arrangements are completed, including the assignment of a school nurse to every building, ventilation checks and the presence of sufficient protective and cleaning supplies.

The decision on whether to re-open a building to students will be based on the UFT 50-item safety checklist, including social distancing of student desks, the availability of masks and face shields, and a room-by-room review of ventilation effectiveness.

Buildings or rooms that do not meet safety standards will remain closed.

Teachers will report to schools on September 8.  They will work with their colleagues to plan and develop strategies for the blended remote/in-person instruction that will be the learning method for the overwhelming majority of the city's public school students. 

Once in-person learning has begun, the DOE will establish a mandatory, robust system of repeated random COVID testing of adults and students. 

A blind representative sample, comprised of 10% to  20% of all students and adults from every NYC DOE school, will be selected each month for COVID-19 testing, with results available within 48 hours.   All random COVID monitoring test will be free of charge to participants. 

Parents will be informed that, as testing is performed throughout the year, if parental/guardian consent has not been obtained for a student who has been selected randomly for testing, the student will be moved to the remote learning cohort.

Any staff who elect not to participate will placed on unpaid leave.

Students or staff found to have the virus, even in the absence of symptoms, will be quarantined for 14 days. City tracing teams will be dispatched to school immediately to determine potential contacts.

The presence of a COVID-19 case or cases confined to one class will result in the entire class moving to remote instruction; more than one case in a school will mean that the entire school will move to remote instruction until the contact tracing is completed.

Schools will need to switch to 100 percent remote instruction if the percentage of positive tests in New York City are equal to or more than 3% using a 7-day rolling average;  however, even if the overall case rates across New York City were to remain low, all school buildings could be closed  if there were recurrent, uncontrolled outbreaks in schools of COVID-19.

Any New York City zip code that reports a percentage of positive tests of 3% or higher using a 7-day rolling average will be saturated with additional testing and tracing including, but not limited to, increased testing of individuals in schools, opening new testing sites, door-to-door canvassing and targeted robocalls for at least a 14-day period or until such time as the 7-day rolling average for positive tests is below 3%, whichever period is longer.

All terms in this agreement will be incorporated in an amendment to the city's re-opening schools plan submitted to the state.

The agreement will be presented today to the union's Executive Board and Delegate Assembly.