mary

Started by grimreaper, February 11, 2012, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimreaper

What the hell is mary's problem??? I know some deserve it. but she really talks to us like we are a$$holes for no reason.

Buzz

OK, I purposely withheld my response until I could talk to Mary because although you are the first to post about this here, you are hardly the only one to express similar sentiments to me.

As I suspected, she was genuinely surprised that she sounds as harsh on the radio as she sometimes does, and it is never her intention to offend anyone. To paraphrase Robert Burns, "Oh, that God the gift would give us, To see ourselves as others see us." That is a flaw that just about all of us have at one time or another ... we just do not always see ourselves the way other people do. I would be the first to plead guilty to that count. Mary is no worse than anyone else in that respect, but perhaps more noticeable because it's on the radio and heard by so many.

A couple of weeks ago I went into the office with a perfectly reasonable question. I was excoriated by Mary to the point that I was embarrassed and just walked away bewildered. A few minutes later I caught her attention and asked her if I deserved to be talked to that way. Figuring that I "know her" she had no idea that I would take her response so negatively. Her heartfelt apology and assurances that it was totally unintentional were so intense and profuse that I almost felt bad that I even mentioned it to her. I had no doubt that she felt terrible that I had taken her remarks the "wrong way" so to speak.

I can honestly tell you that it was with that same convincing sincerity and contrition that she wants everyone to know that she never purposely tries to berate or humiliate anyone. She said that she "loves" (her word) everybody here and genuinely feels bad that she sometimes comes across the air in a way that would offend anyone. She assured me it is never intentional. You all know Mary is not the type to sugar-coat anything. When she apologizes it is impassioned, from the heart, completely believable ... and forgivable.

The other side of the coin is this: If Mary, or any dispatcher, asks you a simple question on the radio, GIVE THEM A SIMPLE ANSWER. If you're asked, for instance, what time you get to a particular stop, they don't need to know how to build a clock, or what the atmosphere is made up of on Mars. You can answer that question with THREE DIGITS. If they need further information, they'll ask.

Often when they ask a question they're on the phone with a parent, school or OPT and have 4 other calls waiting. Keep answers short and concise and just answer the exact question they asked. This will go a long way towards soothing nerves and tempers (and feelings!) on both sides of the microphone.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Yankees15

Wow it's been awhile, nothing interesting for me to comment on, Now there is  Mary: First let me say that, although she may seem to deliver her message with a certain brash tone in her voice. the office line in the AM is ringing off the hook. She has to perform many other functions, especially dealing with school officials and parents while attempting keep track of buses. Buzz is right keep it short and sweet on the radio. That being said I personally have found Mary to be very helpful in many situations I think she does a great job in what is often stressful circumstances.

Buzz

Heyyyy ... welcome back ... you're right, and I'm sure Mary will appreciate the vote of confidence!  :thumbup:
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.