Red Light Cameras

Started by mirrorcheck, October 28, 2011, 04:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirrorcheck

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/1323108-red-light-cameras-turned-back-12.html

Topic was talked about on Joe Crummys show on WABC and how city agencies have asked for shorter yellows to create more summons for more money.Just another money making tool that doesnt make anything safer,in my opinion.  :bomb:
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

Red light camera vendors have a lot at stake here as they make about half the money collected in fines. So much so that they are lobbying lawmakers in Florida not to extend the time of yellow lights ... http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/10/use_of_red-light_cameras_in_ci.html

What does that tell you?
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

mirrorcheck

Buzz exactly,what people dont realize is that timing of the yellow is EVERYTHING so to speak. If it was a safety issue that yellow would be long as aware drivers would stop and not risk the fine etc. However that shorter yellow and the inconsistent times that the crosswalks actually blink and most intersections without the countdown timer is a real bone I have to pick with this city. It borders on entrapment. Though your right if the Vendors money is at stake according to fines levied then naturally there"capitalism" minds would want as many as possible.
            Actually funny that you are warned with signs about School crossings and Train tracks/Crossings. None for Camera intersections that are for "safety",now all things being considered lawmakers should be pressed to make sure those countdown clocks are there,period end of story,stop playing games and monetarily raping the public.
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

It'll only be worse with speed cameras.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

mirrorcheck

I feel the red light cameras leave you as a sitting duck, a little different from the speeding ones.The MPH over and how that generates fines will be interesting.Although I am sure work related its all the same effect anyway.

mirrorcheck

Outside Walmart over the Outerbridge in NJ is a red light camera,yet NJ has the respect and care to notify you of this with a sign. I guess they are into safety and the greedy city Rat$ of NY City just want money!!!! As if the highest,city,state and Sales taxes aren't enough.