Wakeup 123

Started by Stugots, January 10, 2016, 10:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

All of us can argue both sides of this discussion. I clearly see where Buzz is coming from and I clearly see where John Eadicicco is coming from. I really don't see how arguing about the past is going to help. All I see is exactly what it is doing on this site. Dividing us even more. I will say a few things about the past as far as what happened and what might of happened if another person (Tommy or anyone else) was in office the past 6 years. First off Michael is the only President that has had to deal with Bloomberg and his mission of destroying our Union & the EPP. We don't and will never know how any other EB would have feared. I keep hearing about the 6 figure salaries. Well that's what ANY EB Member makes. Not just Michael and his Board. I'm curious is Tommy & John Israel and any other Members on his slate are going to PROMISE (before hand) if elected that they are going to reduce their salaries? I voted for Michael twice. The second time I was leary but I thought he was the best choice at the time because he & that board were already in discussions with the City  and that alone was the deciding factor. Obviously I am not at all happy with how things are today but WE will NEVER know what anyone else would have did differently and how things would have turned out regardless of what they say what they WOULD HAVE done. My left/right sheet says make a left on Glen Ave. but there was construction so I had to go a different way. Then when it comes to the subject of the Strike or the separate contracts for the most part all I keep hearing NOW is what a mistake it was. I think that NOW and I thought that THEN but back then I NEVER heard anyone at least to the degree that I'm hearing it now that it was a mistake. Three years ago WE (the overwhelming majority) voted to go on strike if need be. So let's not put all the blame on Michael. The last week of the strike when we were told we were going to go back to work I disagreed with that decision and even told Ernie but I didn't hear anyone else disagreeing. After we returned to work we all knew well in advance before Michael & the EB started negotiating separate contracts that that was what they were going to do. I didn't hear ANYBODY at that time say NO but now people want to blame Michael. We're just as much to blame. Lastly, we all agreed to and signed those separate contracts. Not only the idea of separate contracts but separate contracts that we all gave back what it took years to get. And anyone who says they were under the impression that if Neil got an extension we would get back what we gave up is only fooling themselves. Let's stop the blame game because we will never know what wasn't and we all have some blame to take ourselves!

Buzz

PROUD MEMBER, you make some excellent and logical points, especially that WE voted for the strike and WE voted for our contract. Michael did none of this without our overwhelming consent. "Buyer's remorse" I guess you could call it.

Let's face it. If Michael were to walk on water tomorrow, there would be those who would say Salerno could walk on it better.

I would like to point out that our EB did give themselves a 10% pay cut several years ago ... at about the time our 10% cut was imposed. We got our 10% back, theirs is still in effect.

Also, I vehemently voiced my opinion several time to our then vice president about ending the strike. I argued that we should not go back to work without a contract because we would have no leverage whatsoever. I was told things like "One battle at a time" or "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." Not his decision, I know, but not the answer I wanted to hear either. But it did look like people were going to cross the picket line over the medical benefits issue, so maybe it was the right call.

Look, I don't agree with everything the union does and if there was somebody really "New" and "Fresh" and capable, I would be more than willing to give them a listen. I understand when you say that arguing about the past isn't going to help, and you're right, to a point, it's not. But it's these people from the PAST who ruined this local and now they want to be the ones to "save" it. I don't think their roles in bringing us to where we are now should be forgotten and that they should be rewarded for their misdeeds now.

Some years ago there was an auto glass shop on Staten Island that was responsible for breaking dozens of car windshields/windows. Then they advertised heavily in the areas they vandalized to drum up business. If you knew they broke your windows, would you go to them to get them fixed?

I absolutely refuse to give any credibility to those who "broke the windows" of our local.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Let me be the first to respond to you Buzz. If that's what you believe to be the truth I couldn't be behind you more. I'm not gonna have the people who purposely broke the windows fix the windows. Obviously you already know what the response from those who are not for Michael is before they even post it. That's the whole point of my previous post. It's a never ending battle and for us to even have the slightest chance of ever becoming a Strong United Union again WE have to figure out a way of overcoming this battle. I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW but I know for sure this back & forth of ripping each other apart is not helping in the least but I'll keep trying on this site and on the property. I wish I had the health to do more than I do now.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on January 12, 2016, 06:30:18 PM
Obviously you already know what the response from those who are not for Michael is before they even post it.

Oh, that I do, LOL. But it's always amusing to see the creative and sometimes colorful ways they will say it!
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

LMR

All this back and forth is doing nothing but dividing us.Its not even and hasn't been a conversation for some time now.Having an understanding of collective bargaining arguments and negotiations is important.Its easy to armchair quarterback ,as if they could do better.All I can say is be careful what you wish for because you might just get it all and then some you don't want .The problem I have with that is we all get stuck with the results.

gigi11744

No matter how u sugar coat it .... a RAT is  still a RAT

worker341

So when do we go on strike lol what a joke the strike vote was. And one more thing if everybody hates this Union we do have a choice, Vote in another union all we need is 51% of Pioneer workers only. Lastly, see what it is like to have no Union at all. You pick or deal with the shit just like I do.