Blaz, not Cuomo, controls schools

Started by Buzz, April 17, 2020, 07:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

The "tentative" agreement mentioned in this article DID become law. Albany gave control of the schools through the end of his term last spring. Blaz will win the pissing contest ... pretty sure we won't be going back this school year.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/26/de-blasio-to-keep-mayoral-school-control-through-end-of-his-term/
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

My curiosity before the change would Mini Mike have had the authority to take away the EPP?

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on April 17, 2020, 11:34:06 PM
My curiosity before the change would Mini Mike have had the authority to take away the EPP?

I don't get the question. Mike did have control of the schools ... what change?

PROUD MEMBER

If I'm reading the article correctly Mini Mike didn't gain control of the schools until his 2nd year (2003) in office. My question is if he didn't get that authority in 2003 would he have been able to have taken away the EPP?

Buzz

It was actually 2002 ... he became mayor Jan. 1 of that year ... but I don't think it would have mattered. I don't think the state ever controlled support services.

steady

The article posted is 3 weeks old.  It is the only article in the news media.  Keep in mind that if it is true in fact all the media would have jumped on it. Mistakes and inaccuracy's have been made before.  If it were to be true it would have been televised as well with great interest.

Buzz

Quote from: steady on April 18, 2020, 01:43:18 PM
The article posted is 3 weeks old.  It is the only article in the news media.  Keep in mind that if it is true in fact all the media would have jumped on it. Mistakes and inaccuracy's have been made before.  If it were to be true it would have been televised as well with great interest.

Not sure what you mean "if it is true." The article is from March of last year and at the time it was all over the news ... and control was given to the mayor through June, 2022.

steady

I see now but didn't notice the 2019 date.  Still if it were true the media would have been all over it that the mayor is right and the governor wrong.  That didn't happen. 
We're in a state of emergency due to a pandemic.  This probably gives the governor total authority.  This is not a snow or storm emergency. This is my opinion.

steady

I also don't believe schools will open though.  I'm just debating the topic of authority.  The teachers union also won't allow opening schools.

PROUD MEMBER

As far as we go I believe this is a moot point. If by some chance (which I doubt) the Catholic Schools were to open and public schools don't, I don't think they will be provided bus service.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on April 21, 2020, 03:17:27 AM
As far as we go I believe this is a moot point. If by some chance (which I doubt) the Catholic Schools were to open and public schools don't, I don't think they will be provided bus service.

I think you're right.

steady

Hi Buzz. The article I posted from the advance explains why the governor has the authority over Di Blazio.  He signed an executive order last month giving the authority back to himself.  It's the last 3 lines of the article.  You giveth and taketh back.

Buzz

Quote from: steady on April 21, 2020, 03:54:34 PM
Hi Buzz. The article I posted from the advance explains why the governor has the authority over Di Blazio.  He signed an executive order last month giving the authority back to himself.  It's the last 3 lines of the article.  You giveth and taketh back.

You are correct. I clicked the link at the end of that article and it takes you to the executive order and, yes, it's in there. de Blasio could keep them closed longer, but he would risk losing state aid. From the order:

"No school shall be subject to a diminution in school aid due to failure to meet the 180 day in session requirement as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, provided their closure does not extend beyond the term set forth herein."

steady

It would be interesting to see if the mayor would go against the governor.  Losing funding might put people like us in jeopardy. No funding no money, no salary?
I'll say again I don't see the schools opening though.  The city would have to provide protective supplies to say the least.

Buzz

I heard that de Blasio reiterated today that schools will remain closed through June. I found a video of the conference and skimmed through it a number of times but couldn't find the spot where he mentioned schools.

I cannot watch the whole thing in it's entirety ... just can't listen to this fucking pot head. If anybody wants to watch and finds it, please post the time marker where he talks about schools.

(Though I did find where he spent a lot of time talking about providing meals for Ramadan and where the fucking toker took jabs at Trump.)

yabba

i heard him say it today again...i would think it was in the first 10 minutes of cry baby speech

MR.AIRPRESSURE

MR.AIRPRESSURE

He only spoke about providing computers to those students at home that don't own one.

Buzz

yabba

16:01     is the crybaby remark on schools

Buzz