Blaz: Decision on Schools Soon

Started by Buzz, April 09, 2020, 08:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WigWag16

I feel like if he's making a DEFINITIVE answer at this point, it would have to be to say we're not going back... because nobody can give a definite date of resuming normal activities right now, so therefore he can't say we're definitely 100% going back.... it's either you don't know yet or it's a no....
At least that's how I feel..... because it would be dumb to announce schools are DEFINITELY going back and then have to change that decision in a couple weeks or a month especially if we are suppose to social distance which would defeat the purpose of this whole thing by sending kids back to school.

Buzz

I don't see why he has to say definitely either way. He can just say, "School closures will be extended to [whatever date] and will be reassessed at that time."

PROUD MEMBER

steady

I don't take the mayor's decisions as definitive.  He's reckless.  Private schools prepared to close schools in New York all week leading to March 13.  In New Jersey all schools prepared the prior week and closed March 15.  The Mayor resisted and decided to close schools the last minute without preparation. 15 states already decided to close school the rest of the school year.  How this mayor would possibly make a decision to open schools in this city would be political suicide.  Teachers and the union would not allow it.  New York is the epicenter of this virus.  New York alone has more infected than any other country.  Keep in mind 15 states closed the schools through June.  We should have been the first.

LMAO

Buzz

Cuomo could always override him if he does anything stupid. (Which wouldn't be unusual.)

Buzz

Hammer2161

I think " See You in September " is very fitting for this thread. Opening Schools in NYC at this time would be a huge mistake. Something we may possibly never recover from. The CUNY college system has already announced Distance Learning for its summer session. Not sure how it would even be feasible to open rest of the schools in this city. Ladies and Gentlemen take care of yourselves and your families and try to remember to be kind to others at this crucial time. I will See You in September.

PROUD MEMBER

It's official
Schools are closed for the rest of the school year.

yabba

lets hope we continue getting paid and our benefits

PROUD MEMBER

WigWag16

There's only 2 months left in the school year if you really think about it. I guess as a school bus drivers we will be doing two trips a day now cause the teachers still won't want to be in the building lol....honestly this is the best decision he's made since being "mayor" and I can't stand him. Made no sense to push it back to another start up date with 2 months left. It's a huge risk by re opening them putting more lives at risk while it's still spreading by putting kids on a bus back into a school building with adults...defeats the whole purpose of social distancing. I'd rather be back at work but better safe than sorry

yabba

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on April 11, 2020, 04:04:50 PM
yabba
My thoughts exactly

well now we need some definate answers....  this is our benefits,our wages,our accural wages owed to us on june 15th..  our families living depend on this and we need definates....  is this money the companies getting from city takes them through june ???  or we going to get another email next month... 

PROUD MEMBER

My understanding of what has been said by Michael and the DOE representative is that the contractors will continue to get paid 85% through the end of this school year. In turn the Legacy companies which include Pioneer will also continue to pay its employees 85% throughout the remainder of the school year (or at least until the end of the guaranteed 39 weeks). Having said that anything is possible and could change. Obviously I hope not!

yabba

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on April 11, 2020, 05:01:21 PM
My understanding of what has been said by Michael and the DOE representative is that the contractors will continue to get paid 85% through the end of this school year. In turn the Legacy companies which include Pioneer will also continue to pay its employees 85% throughout the remainder of the school year (or at least until the end of the guaranteed 39 weeks). Having said that anything is possible and could change. Obviously I hope not!

i agree with you...lets hope a curve ball dont get thrown

Buzz

Sit tight guys.  Just spoke to Ernie and there will be an executive board phone conference Monday morning. As of right now, everything is "status quo." I'll let you know what transpired as soon as I hear from him Monday.

Enjoy your Easter, everybody.

PROUD MEMBER

Sit tight is right because according to the Governor it is his decision (during this emergency) and not the Mayor's with regards to school closings. And according to him there has NOT been any decision as to when the schools will reopen or to how long they will remain closed.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on April 11, 2020, 06:16:07 PM
Sit tight is right because according to the Governor it is his decision (during this emergency) and not the Mayor's with regards to school closings. And according to him there has NOT been any decision as to when the schools will reopen or to how long they will remain closed.

Yep. I posted his video in a separate thread.