Stress, Attitude & L/R's

Started by PROUD MEMBER, June 09, 2015, 03:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Yesterday I witnessed a shape driver involved in a minor incident. It was something that was definitely the driver's fault but in all probability it was something that could have been avoided if it wasn't for the actions & attitude of "seasoned" driver just seconds before. I saw that the shape driver was upset so I went over to make sure he/she was okay. This is a shape that has been here for a year now. Someone that I have talked to in the past, have seen either in the driver's room or out in the field with. Someone that I would say is a nice person & a concientuos worker. This morning I see that shape walking in the yard and I go over and ask "Are you feeling better today?" The driver immediately broke down in tears. When I asked what was wrong the response was that the stress was to much. I asked what stress. The answer was (and I'm para-phrasing here) the stress of the attitudes of SOME of the fellow workers and SOME of management. Also (even though being thankful for work everyday) the stress of wanting to do your job right but being handed a different route everyday and the majority of times of either having no L/R sheet or one that is not legible or one that is not correct. When we were on Strike or now when we are in negotiations ALL of us stand tall about the Professionalism of 1181 workers. Well let's show it!! Believe me I am far from perfect but I strive for it everyday in my personal life and at my job. The main thing about ANY Union starts with its members being GOOD, NICE people to everyone that crosses your path especially to your fellow Brothers & Sisters. Then in every Union especially in ours comes Safety. When humans are under stress obviously they don't think and/or react efficiently. It's a simple thing be nice to people and make sure the office and your bus has a legible, updated L/R sheet. Those 2 little things could just possible save a child's life someday!

PROUD MEMBER

PS: I'm sure if OPT was handing out $200 violations for incorrect, illegible L/R's things would be a lot different!!!

gigi11744

26 years ago there was no L/R sheet just a dam 5 boro map book..You tried your best to leave the yard  a little early and u tried to map it out.. The afternoon  part of the run i would do a dry run right after the morning run and again map it out... as for the  stress ill say this once safety first stops and the time out the window..that eliminates the stress and if the fools on the radio have a problem with that just tell themsafety first always. i feel for the guy but we all went thru it...

Buzz

That's true, gigi, but as long as it's now required, are there no consequences for not having an up to date sheet on file? I'd be surprised.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

gigi11744

Buzz I agree and I have seen some of the L/R and they r Entirely illegible ,then I realize a high school deploma is not a job reqirement and for that matter neither is english.. Just sayin

PROUD MEMBER