Worried about new hires

Started by sbdriver1, September 13, 2014, 06:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbdriver1

Union seems to be worried more about new hires at reliant then everyone that's laid off and on the master list

PROUD MEMBER

Unfortunately it seems that way although it may not be true. Additionally, and again unfortunately (at least for the already laid off workers) the Union MAY think that the future of this Local is about the 1181 members that are still working which includes the new hires. I am not a politician or a union rep so I don't know if anything can be done to reverse what has happened to the laid off workers but I personally THINK the Union is trying. Having said that we the fortunate that are still working have to stand behind our Representation 100%!!! Now is not the time to 2nd guess our leadership or else come June 30 we will all find ourselves laid off or working for 1/2 of what we're making now with less or no medical at all. Many members not only blamed Bloomberg and the owners for what has happened in the last 1 1/2 yrs but also blamed our representation yet the majority of us voted the majority of them back in. So please don't complain. Remember your future working days and eventual retired (pension) days depends on the negotiations in the next few months. WE HAVE TO STAND TOGETHER for the laid off workers, the current workers and the future workers of this Local. If we don't Local 1181 will be a thing of the past and Bloomberg would have won.

sbdriver1

unfortunately I'm one of the laid off workers from Gotham bus formerly Amboy. Gotham was sold to island charter and magically Island charter drivers became union

Buzz

Quote from: sbdriver1 on September 15, 2014, 02:21:56 AM
unfortunately I'm one of the laid off workers from Gotham bus formerly Amboy. Gotham was sold to island charter and magically Island charter drivers became union

Was talking to an IC matron friend the other day and we were wondering the same thing ... why IC didn't have to hire off the master list. I'll see if I can get an explanation.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

sbdriver1

Thank you Buzz I appreciate the info

Buzz

The answer I got: This was an existing company, (not new), that was organized and had its own people.

I not sure any answer would be palatable to you and am sorry for your circumstances.

Squid

That's a shame really. Those IC drivers voted a couple of years ago not to join 1181. They happily worked while we froze our asses off on the picket line. Now they have jobs while people that were 1181 members all along get screwed. Believe it or not I spoke to one of these scabs and he is pissed that he has to pay union dues now.

Buzz

Quote from: Squid on September 16, 2014, 06:18:05 PM
That's a shame really. Those IC drivers voted a couple of years ago not to join 1181. They happily worked while we froze our asses off on the picket line. Now they have jobs while people that were 1181 members all along get screwed. Believe it or not I spoke to one of these scabs and he is pissed that he has to pay union dues now.

I hear ya', but think about it: What group of workers would agree to join a union if they knew they would immediately be replaced by others who were in the union longer?

sbdriver1

That does not make sense, all the companies are existing companies and are organized. It seems that our union is the only one that's not organized and letting these companies do whatever they want. There is a lot of corrupt shit going down between the union, Reliant and Gotham and hiring a labor lawyer is the only way to get to the bottom of this.

Buzz

Quote from: sbdriver1 on September 22, 2014, 04:40:21 PM
That does not make sense, all the companies are existing companies and are organized. It seems that our union is the only one that's not organized and letting these companies do whatever they want. There is a lot of corrupt shit going down between the union, Reliant and Gotham and hiring a labor lawyer is the only way to get to the bottom of this.

How do you figure? IC drivers were not 1181 prior to this school year. Therefore, why would they (or anybody) join 1181 if they knew they would be immediately replaced by drivers who were in the union longer?