Getting Paid for Sick Days

Started by Buzz, March 02, 2016, 11:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

As per Ernie: Upon returning to work from taking off sick, in order to get paid you have to go into the office and fill out a form. This is true whether your sick time is company paid or deducted from your accrual. If you do not fill out the form you will not get paid and it won't count as a paid sick day.

Also, if you get one week's accrual: You actually get only 4 days accrual and consequently are entitled to only 4 accrual-paid sick days (if you wish to use your accrual on sick days).

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Thanks for the info. Not that it would have made a difference in the vote but that should have been explained before hand. So if I was to call in sick on Thursday, Friday and the following Monday when I come in on Tuesday and sign the paperwork apparently the payroll for the previous week will have already been done. So I'll only get a 3 day check and then a 7 day check the following week? Furthermore since I get more than one week (4 days) accrual I didn't think about those who do. So a "new hire" or someone with less than 5 years tenure get 5 company paid sick days and someone with 10 or more years tenure get 5 sick days out of their accrual but someone who has between 5 and 9 years tenure only get 4 sick days. Something wrong there!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 03, 2016, 01:52:17 AM
... So a "new hire" or someone with less than 5 years tenure get 5 company paid sick days and someone with 10 or more years tenure get 5 sick days out of their accrual but someone who has between 5 and 9 years tenure only get 4 sick days. Something wrong there!

Yep ... like some Asian friends of mine kid's name ... Sum Tin Wong.

worker341

Not sure what this all means, however will it be safe to say we just don't have paid sick days.

Buzz

Quote from: worker341 on March 03, 2016, 03:22:43 AM
Not sure what this all means, however will it be safe to say we just don't have paid sick days.

Basically, yes, it would be safe to say that if you're here long enough to get accrual. Only those not entitled to any accrual are actually paid for sick days. For the rest of us it's just borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

And, by the way, sick days cannot be banked, and if you don't use them, you lose them ... you do not get pay in lieu of unused days.

Grrr

Someone should send a copy of our contract to the In Transit magazine.  This way the whole country can laugh at us and not just the owners and our union.

John Eadicicco

Yes and while we are at it let's ALL Applaud Mike Cordiello for doing such a fine job on negotiating such a wonderful contract. And if ONE more person says we are lucky to have our job....................you definitely deserve what we got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buzz

For anybody who doesn't feel they're lucky to have our job ... there's always an alternative ...

Rock Steady

You guys were fooled again . . . .believed all the BS

John Eadicicco

Buzz you sound like a politician with your rederick!!!!
Alternative....

Grrr

What alternatives do us Uneducated Constant Complainers have?