Voting for Recchia?

Started by Buzz, October 26, 2014, 06:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

In case you're buying into the government's attempt to railroad Michael Grimm and are thinking of voting for Recchia, I want to remind you of something. Domenic Recchia was on the city council in 2008 and was one of the scumbags that voted in favor of giving Bloomberg an illegal third term. The detriment to our industry as a result is history.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/roll-call-breakdown-city-council-voted-extending-term-limits-article-1.304185
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Squid

Buzz , I'd be willing to bet that most of the drivers at pioneer voted for Bloomberg for a third term. It was a very close election, and Staten islanders voted overwhelmingly for bloomberg, not Bill Thompson. I wonder why?               

PROUD MEMBER

Ignizio was also on the council in 2008 and voted NO to extend term limits does that mean I'm supposed to like him. Let's not forget he IS AGAINST AN EPP!! My point being one thing (term limits) has nothing to do with the other (our EPP). Where was Grimm during the strike. Furthermore the prosecutor does charge someone with a 20 count indictment unless it's true. Lastly, when an elected official acts like a common thug and threatens a reporter it just doesn't make me comfortable with that politician representing me!! Now he has stooped so low as to have his mother send a letter (obviously which he orchestrated) to our houses. He doesn't care about Staten Islanders and he especially doesn't care about Local 1181 workers (which he has proven). He cares about his career. If he cared about the people he would not run for reelection. Instead he would resign gracefully and concentrate on his legal problems.

Buzz

One thing has nothing to do with the other? Trashing the votes of millions of New Yorkers who voted TWICE for term limits which ultimately led to losing the EPP, and you say one thing has nothing to do with the other? OK, if you say so. But had Bloomberg not been given an illegal third term we would not be in the position we find ourselves now.

Also, as a Sandy victim, I can tell you NO ONE has done more for Staten Islanders than Grimm, much less Recchia ... except that he really DID vote for a measure in 2002 that raised your property taxes 18.5%.

I respectfully disagree with you on both counts.

PROUD MEMBER

I also have to respectfully disagree with you. As I stated earlier where was Grimm when we went on strike and what politician in their right mind threatens physical harm to a reporter for doing his job? As far as the 20 count indictment (which apparently means nothing to many voters) we'll just have to wait to February and see. As far as our EPP goes which at this time is the most important issue facing me & my family (and I would assume all 1181 workers) and someone correct me if I'm wrong I don't think I've ever heard Grimm even speak of it whether for or against. Usually at least to me that means that person is against but stays neutral in the hope of getting your vote. Curiosity, I wonder if Ernie and/or our Executive Board are endorsing Grimm?

Buzz

Question 1: What does 18.5% of your property taxes amount to?

Question 2: How much did losing the EPP cost you?

Question 3: How much has Grimm ever cost you?

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 27, 2014, 02:26:55 PM
I wonder if Ernie and/or our Executive Board are endorsing Grimm?

Who gives a shit? Didn't our union endorse Obama?

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 27, 2014, 03:04:07 AM
Furthermore the prosecutor does charge someone with a 20 count indictment unless it's true.
(I assume you meant does NOT.)

I missed this statement the first time around.

Are you for real????

PROUD MEMBER

Ur assumption is right I left out the word "not". Thank you for pointing that out. I don't understand what u mean when u ask " Are u for real?" With regards to your questions
1: I'm not gonna state what my property taxes are and but I will state that it is no where near 18.5%.
2: Losing the EPP cost me $3000.00 net for the 5 weeks during the strike. Another $3000.00 net take home per year as per our newest contract which we signed last year. So by June of 2015 it will have cost me $9000.00 cash or 9 mortgage payments however you want to look at it. And that's not counting any possible overtime which is now gone. Also come June if no EPP is put back in place it will cost all of us that are fortunate enough  to still be working a lot more if not our jobs completely. Plus not only the financial but the emotional & mental stress. BESIDES HOW CAN YOU EVEN ASK THAT QUESTION... IT HAS ALREADY COST THOUSANDS OF OUR BROTHERS & SISTERS THEIR LIVELIHOODS!!
3: Financially Grimm has cost me nothing. I just feel he is an embarrassment to the people and office he represents. Furthermore again I'll state when he wanted our votes we heard from him, WHEN WE WERE ON STRIKE WE DIDN'T!!!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 27, 2014, 05:53:08 PM
I just feel he is an embarrassment to the people and office he represents. Furthermore again I'll state when he wanted our votes we heard from him, WHEN WE WERE ON STRIKE WE DIDN'T!!!

1) So to you, an indictment is equivalent to a guilty verdict. (Why bother with a trial?)

2) The democrats (at the behest of Obama, I believe) have been trying to pin something ... anything ... on Grimm because it's the only way Recchia would stand any chance against him.

3) I didn't see Recchia when we were on strike either.

4) I see you have a hard-on for Grimm and your mind is made up. So be it.

PROUD MEMBER

As I see your mind is already made up! Always good chatting with you Buzz. I'll touch back on this subject in February.
PS: Check out the front page of today's SI Advance

Grrr

When do we turn the clocks back?

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 27, 2014, 09:50:26 PM
As I see your mind is already made up! Always good chatting with you Buzz. I'll touch back on this subject in February.
PS: Check out the front page of today's SI Advance

I saw the Advance.More smear. But I didn't intend to argue politics. The point of my original post was ...

city council vote = Bloomy's third term = no EPP

And that's the bottom line.

PROUD MEMBER

And my bottom line is Grimm who may have done good for Sandy victims is without a doubt appreciated whether it was from the heart or just positive publicity for himself, I don't know. I do know he physically threatened that reporter. I saw it and heard it. Also eventhough a 20 count indictment doesn't (for now) mean he's guilty it doesn't look good. The prosecutor is not going to make them charges unless there is enough evidence to do so. With regards to helping Local 1181 during our crisis and still to today he is no where to be found. I'm done if you want the last word it's all yours.

Bluebird

Grimm's got my vote!

and who cares who the union or ernie votes for.It's YOUR vote.Use it well.

PROUD MEMBER

I didn't say you or me or any member has to vote the way the Union says. And the answer to your question is I care. Usually when your in a Union the majority of the members want to know who their representatives (Ernie/EB) endorse for political office. The reason being they are in a better position and have more knowledge than me or you as to what politician is better for this Local and its members. You listen to their reasons than you make a decision and make YOUR vote. I understand that the past 2 years things around this Local have been far from good but as with any Union or Local we have to at least listen (and ask questions) of our representatives. After all is that why we elect them? To make decisions and suggestions to & for us!!!

PROUD MEMBER

I want to be the first to thank Grimm for outright lying to us and wasting our time during this last election. Also for wasting our money for an eventual special election.

PROUD MEMBER

Goodbye Grimm it's about time U did the right thing!!!

Buzz

Well, bask - if you must - in the misery of a good man brought upon him by a government that singled him out for something virtually EVERYBODY who is in the restaurant business is guilty of ... and it was before he was in office. Meanwhile a douchebag like Charlie Rangel, with numerous ethics violations ... and censure ... is still in office. If this seems like justice to you, so be it. We still owe Grimm a debt of gratitude for saving us from Dumb Recchia.

Moose

PROUD MEMBER

I am not saying Charlie Rangel is any better. He should go too as should any elected official who we put our trust in then outright lies to his constituents and/or breaks the law. Although Grimm broke the law before he was elected does that make it right. If that came out before he was first elected to office in all probability he would never had got elected to begin with. Also if he had confessed instead of lying before this past election he not only wouldn't have got reelected but his party wouldn't have backed him to begin with. The bottom line is HE BROKE THE LAW and then lied and tried to cover it up while being a U.S. Congressman in order to better his future not ours. Then he PHYSICALLY THREATENS the life of a reporter who was just doing his job. He has wasted our time & money and brought shame to Staten Island. Just because he did some things right (which is what an elected official is elected to do) doesn't negect breaking the law. Lastly let's not forget what this web site is about. It's about Local 1181!!!!! I don't recall seeing or hearing from Grimm during those 5 weeks that we were on strike in the rain & cold worrying about our futures & families. Now that's Spot On!!!!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on December 30, 2014, 10:21:58 PM
... in order to better his future not ours...

In so doing, he bettered the lives of a lot of other people, mine included. If he ran again today, he would again be elected.

Your mileage may vary.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on December 30, 2014, 10:21:58 PM
... Lastly let's not forget what this web site is about. It's about Local 1181!!!!!

Yeah ... you were for the guy who voted to give Bloomberg a third term. We know how well that worked out for 1181 ...

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
You keep talking about what other politicians have or have not done. And you may very well be correct about each of them. I do not dispute that and I also am not happy with many of them even some of those that I voted for. My point this week is about Grimm and no one else. It is the same point I brought up two months ago and not many people agreed with me then. But now Grimm himself has confirmed it. HE BROKE THE LAW, HE LIED TO HIS CONSTIUENTS, HE THREATENED SOMEONE'S LIFE, HE WASTED OUR TIME & MONEY and HE WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND WHEN WE WERE ON STRIKE. Those are the facts and no matter what good he did or no matter what another politician did or didn't do those FACTS do not change. .... To All My 1181 Brothers & Sisters Enjoy The Rest of Your Vacation and have a Happy New Year!!!

Buzz

LOL ... if every elected official who lied to their constituents had to step down we'd have no congress!

You hate Grimm ... we get it.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
You keep dancing around my point. I'm not talking about anyone else (I already agreed with you about ALL politicians). Why can't you just agree that Grimm broke the law, lied to all of us and is not capable of maintaining the office of a U.S. Congressman? After all he himself has admitted to it and obviously believes he cannot maintain his responsibilities in the House otherwise he wouldn't resign. And you DON'T GET IT. I don't hate Grimm. I'm sure you know by all of my posts throughout this past year that I am not the type of person to hate anyone. I just believe that taking into account this man's past (good & bad) he should not be the one to represent me in Congress. I wish the best for him & his family in the future just not as an official representing me.

Buzz

Not dancing around your point. You hated Grimm before he was overwhelming elected, before you knew he lied, before he admitted guilt and you still hate him now. What he did has no bearing on his ability to represent us. Millions are guilty of the very same thing he was selectively prosecuted for, but few of them would make as good a representative. Backhandedly wishing him well does not hide your disdain for a good man so just pop open a Bud and relish his political demise.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Unfortunately you disappoint me. There you go comparing Grimm to others (millions) again. For the last time right now I'm talking about Grimm and no one else. That's not what disappoints me. What does is now you're calling me a LIAR. Well if you don't take your Union Brother on his word then maybe I shouldn't be posting on this site. I told you I don't hate him yet you know what I think now and in the past better than I do. FYI I voted for Grimm in 2012 when he ran against Mark Murphy. And by the way I don't drink so why don't you call up your buddy & go have a Bud with him. I come on this site to voice my opinions and thoughts and to discuss with & hopefully help my Fellow Brothers and Sisters. And again I state I wish Mr. Grimm & his family well in the future just not as my Representative. It's a shame that on the last day of the year going into the New Year that one of my Brothers disrespects my integrity. Have a Happy New Year!!

Buzz

Didn't call you a liar, no disrespect, stop being so dramatic. OK, so you don't hate him, you just don't like him and are glad to see him go ... but wish him well.

Truce. Let's let it lie. Happy New Year.