UFT: Rank-and-File Doesn't Vote?

Started by Buzz, August 31, 2020, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

From what I've heard on TV and the article below, the UFT Executive Board decides on whether to hold a strike vote. Then, if passed the "Delegate Assembly" (about 3,400 members) actually vote on whether to strike. So, am I to understand that 100,000 members (teachers and other school employees) don't actually get a vote? How convenient ... since I believe the majority of teachers would be against a strike.

Well, you know the executive board is going to go the way Mulgrew wants them to and more than likely a majority of the delegates are going to vote the way the EB wants them to. There will almost certainly be a strike if that's the case. (They could decide to try taking it to court first.)

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/28/uft-new-york-teachers-strike-vote/
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Hammer2161

Buzz I found that out yesterday when speaking to my neighbor and her aunt who is a principal.  Rank and file does not get to vote at all. Yes very convenient !!!!

Hammer2161

I hope I am wrong but with all the bullshit coming out in the past few days I believe the deck is stacked against a successful opening on September 10th.

I for one just find it amazing that they waited so long to decide on busing. Busing is a mess when they have the entire summer to get the runs ready and still they manage to get it wrong. How in the world will they possibly get this right.

Buzz

Quote from: Hammer2161 on August 31, 2020, 03:49:12 PM
I for one just find it amazing that they waited so long to decide on busing. Busing is a mess when they have the entire summer to get the runs ready and still they manage to get it wrong. How in the world will they possibly get this right.

I have a feeling after tomorrow's vote they're going to have a lot more time to figure it out.

wheresmymoney!

From what someone said yesterday they lose 2 days pay firceach dsy they strike so they will suffer at the hands of the powers that be.  Its amazing the way shit works!

Buzz

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on August 31, 2020, 05:17:37 PM
From what someone said yesterday they lose 2 days pay firceach dsy they strike so they will suffer at the hands of the powers that be.  Its amazing the way shit works!

As I told somebody in another post, it won't happen. They'll lose a day's pay for each day on strike, no more than that. Waiving any penalties will be part of any back-to-work agreement.