No wonder drivers are leaving

Started by PROUD MEMBER, September 26, 2018, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Bus coming in Brooklyn looking for drivers. Basically the same starting pay as our new drivers but they are offering Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Days and Health Insurance at NO COST. Something doesn't sound right!!!

Buzz

Where'd you see this? What company? Have link?
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

I don't know how to copy link. It was on FB. "Save NYC school bus drivers jobs. 1181 union drivers."
It doesn't name the company but it is located at 5015 Bay Parkway Brooklyn

yabba

i thought we were 18.00 an hour to start

Buzz

https://www.facebook.com/groups/457215567659885/permalink/1861069150607846/

Googled the address: Careful Bus Co.

It says they're "employee friendly."  :))

$563 is only $14/hour based on 40 hours ... not including the midday pay. But if the benefits are free, it might be worth it to some people.

PROUD MEMBER

The midday pay would bring the hourly wage to $18 to $20 an hour. You have to take into consideration that all of our new drivers do midday work (field trips) and do not get anything extra. So as I said the pay is basically the same but as it is stated in the ad they offer paid holidays, paid sick days and no cost health benefits. None of which that our new drivers receive. If true, obviously our Union Reps need to do something.

Buzz

Uncle Buck

There are people working here over 5 .years that are still making 18.21 An hour. The union and Neil better come to an agreement with a pay scale,holiday pay,snow days and a health plan that doesn't cost  almost 10 percent of drivers salary.

Uncle Buck

Also drivers who have been in union almost 3 years need payscale retroactive to day they joined union!

Buzz

Quote from: Uncle Buck on September 27, 2018, 03:25:19 AM
Also drivers who have been in union almost 3 years need payscale retroactive to day they joined union!

Although I believe new hires lot will greatly improve with a new contract, I doubt you'll ever see that retroactive pay.

PROUD MEMBER

Retroactive pay!
I'll be happy just to see new drivers

yabba

we have a handful of good drivers who have stuck it out here since the strike and should definetly be fit in to the new pay scale when and if a contract is ratified...

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on September 27, 2018, 02:54:24 PM
we have a handful of good drivers who have stuck it out here since the strike and should definetly be fit in to the new pay scale when and if a contract is ratified...

Agreed. And that is definitely on the table.