Play on Words or Toilet Paper

Started by PROUD MEMBER, October 13, 2018, 12:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

I'm referring to that pamphlet that was put out by the owners that was in the rack with our cards this afternoon. By now I assume half of us have read it or heard about it and by Monday morning all of us will be aware of it. Well the answer is yes to both. It is a play on words and it is a piece of toilet paper because that's what it's worth. Something to wipe our asses with.  It starts out by saying that "The Union may have told you that the companies have not put any proposals on the table. This is false." Then it gives you a list of the proposals. Ernie was at our yard twice this week and what he said was the owners are "Offering us Nothing." And after speaking with him yes it's true that the owners did put those proposals on the table but what they neglected to state in that pamphlet is what they're not willing to give us and more importantly what they're looking to take away from us. What they're looking to take from us is our money! You may say what am I talking about because the pamphlet clearly shows wage increases for all Members from New Hires to 40 year veterans. But it doesn't tell you that the owners also proposed the all the Members immediately start paying 50% of our Medical. We  currently pay approximately $25 a week. If a new CBA was ratified at 50% we would jump to approximately $85 a week or MORE, probably more. That nullifies any wage increase that we are being offered. So obviously Ernie is correct the owners are offering nothing regardless of what this piece of toilet paper says. There are a list of other matters that the Union want on the table such as a Pension increase and the 40th week to name a couple. And that's just for the senior drivers. The "New Hires" are a whole other story. Ernie assured me that Andy will be around to clarify things in more detail and that the Union will be putting out a detailed pamphlet of its own to set the record straight.

A Happy & Healthy Weekend to All

Grrr

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 13, 2018, 12:29:57 AM
There are a list of other matters that the Union want on the table such as a Pension increase

What a great idea!

Uncle Buck

Why won't the owners put a damn pay scale in for people hired after April 2013! People will not stay at a job were the discrepancy in wages is so large,I hope the union understands this. If Neil or the union think that there is going to be a surge in applications to work at Pioneer for $20 an hour there naive or crazy. Ownership doesn't even offer a pay raise for the fifth year for new drivers which means a zero percent for a full year.Insulting to say the least.Its my hope that union will get rid of this new contract bullshit and have everyone under one contract.

Uncle Buck

If ownership had everyone paying 50 percent of there medical,it would be a hell of a lot more than 85 dollars a week.People who are unrder new contract are paying 9.5 percent of total salary for single coverage which comes out to 70 plus dollars a week.

PROUD MEMBER

New Hires are currently paying 9.5% of their gross pay for their medical. The 50% wouldn't be of our gross pay. It would be 50% of what the medical costs. Say it costs $200 a week then then Neil would pay $100 a week per employee and each one of us would pay $100 a week. To tell you the truth that $85 number I originally said is probably to low. It will all be explained to us in the coming week or so.

Buzz

This is just a smokescreen and as PROUD MEMBER pointed out, they're telling us what they're going to give us, but not what it's going to COST US! Ernie says that overall, we will be LOSING money at the end of 5 years which is why they told us we were offered nothing. We were offered LESS than nothing.

The union will come out with a paper explaining this in dollars and cents sometime next week. In the meanwhile remember the saying, "When something seems too good to be true ... it usually is."
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

Quote from: Uncle Buck on October 13, 2018, 01:27:47 AM
Why won't the owners put a damn pay scale in for people hired after April 2013! People will not stay at a job were the discrepancy in wages is so large,I hope the union understands this. If Neil or the union think that there is going to be a surge in applications to work at Pioneer for $20 an hour there naive or crazy. Ownership doesn't even offer a pay raise for the fifth year for new drivers which means a zero percent for a full year.Insulting to say the least.Its my hope that union will get rid of this new contract bullshit and have everyone under one contract.

My friend, make no mistake, the union ABSOLUTELY understands this. And they are well aware of how attracting and keeping new people is necessary to keep the pension fund going. They fight tooth and nail for new hires but it's the owners that don't get it. Their answer to the union is, "Don't worry about that. That's our problem." This is what the union is up against.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on October 13, 2018, 01:57:41 AM
New Hires are currently paying 9.5% of their gross pay for their medical. The 50% wouldn't be of our gross pay. It would be 50% of what the medical costs. Say it costs $200 a week then then Neil would pay $100 a week per employee and each one of us would pay $100 a week. To tell you the truth that $85 number I originally said is probably to low. It will all be explained to us in the coming week or so.

Actually, the 50% would be of future increases, not total cost ... according to Ernie.

Buzz

Quote from: Uncle Buck on October 13, 2018, 01:27:47 AM
.Ownership doesn't even offer a pay raise for the fifth year for new drivers which means a zero percent for a full year.Insulting to say the least.Its my hope that union will get rid of this new contract bullshit and have everyone under one contract.

Worse than that. If a guy has already been here 5 years it means he'll have to be here 10 years to make a lousy $24 and hour.

Buzz

The advocacy group, PIST NYC, sees through the bullshit. This is what they posted on Facebook:

Uncle Buck

That's the .position I'm in Buzz, I will have 5 years in December,I honestly don't think I would stay here if that was the contract and I'm not the only one.

Uncle Buck

It seems that Neil is purposely trying to run his own business into the ground,,I don't get it..

Buzz

Quote from: Uncle Buck on October 13, 2018, 02:59:09 AM
That's the .position I'm in Buzz, I will have 5 years in December,I honestly don't think I would stay here if that was the contract and I'm not the only one.

I know it, bud, and it's a damn shame. Hang in there at least until we see how this all shakes out. I know for sure that guys like you are of the utmost importance to the union and they will go to the mat for you.

rc1790

If you read the 2010 to 2013 hires, it says you will reach the next step after the 1st anniversary. Does that mean we are frozen for a year again? Some of us are supposed to reach top pay in a couple of months.

Buzz

Quote from: rc1790 on October 13, 2018, 04:06:39 AM
If you read the 2010 to 2013 hires, it says you will reach the next step after the 1st anniversary. Does that mean we are frozen for a year again? Some of us are supposed to reach top pay in a couple of months.

Asked Ernie ... he believes this is incorrect and you would get your step raise as currently scheduled.