5/1 Update From 1181

Started by Buzz, May 01, 2020, 06:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

This hasn't been posted to 1181's website yet so I have to give you the plain text version in case you don't get the emails.

ATU LOCAL 1181-1061
CORONAVIRUS COVID—19 UPDATE
MAY 1, 2020

Brothers and Sisters:

I am writing to you today to give you an update on the status of this local union as it relates to
the school bus contracts with New York City. You have all received or will receive furlough
notices from your employer. There are two different issues occurring at the moment.

1. You received those furlough notices because the emergency extension contracts between

the Department of Education and your employer expired on April 30, 2020. Without a contract
extension agreement going fonNard your employer technically has no contract with the city at

this moment.

2. The city of New York as ofthis UPDATE has not yet made the decision on whether or not it
will extend school bus contracts to your employers. This local union with a coalition of other
unions and school bus companies has been active over the last three weeks trying to assure
that a vote at the Panel for Education Policy (PEP) would approve contracts. We had many
members prepared to speak at that PEP meeting but the meeting was canceled and the vote
was postponed and rescheduled.

When the city of New York makes a decision whether or not they will continue to extend the
school bus contracts, hopefully within the next few days, your employers have committed that if
they have contract extensions and are funded, they will resume the 85% wages and medical
benefits.

In an effort to ensure that our contracts continue, I have had conversations with the City
Comptroller Scott Stringer and City Councilman Mark Treyger, who chairs the Education
Committee. In addition, I have been in constant contact with Vinny Alvarez, President of the
NYC Central Labor Council, NYS Assemblyman Mike Reilly and US Congressman Max Rose
who have all been very supportive and helpful. Also, our lobbyist has made contact with City
Hall to put fonivard our position.

In regard to your medical benefits, you can pick up COBRA or if that is not affordable for you,
attached to this update and on the ATU Local 1181 website posted at an earlier date, you will
find the information you need to apply through New York State for medical coverage.

Your Local Union, along with the coalition, will continue to push the City to make the right
decisions to restore your wages and medical benefits.

Again, thank you for your continued patience. Be safe and know that your Union is here fighting
for you and your families.

In Solidarity,

Michael Cordiello, President/Business Agent
and the Executive Board

ATU Local 1181—1061
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.