1181 Updates 5/29

Started by Buzz, May 29, 2020, 04:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Quoting from the contract:

"Pro-rata wage accruals shall be granted to employees terminated whether by discharge, lay-off or quit. The amount of such wage accrual shall be computed pro-rata since the last wage accrual period and such amount shall be paid within one week after termination."

So, computing from last accrual period ... June 15 of last year ... to April of this year, we should get at least 10/12 of the amount due.

And, it should have been paid a month ago.

However, the lines are blurred between "lay-off" and "furlough." I have not found any legal distinction between the two, but most sites I visited mentioned that "furlough" implies that employee benefits remain intact ... clearly not the case here.

On a brighter note, top-pay employees will be getting a 2.35% wage increase as of July 1 ... not that it means much when you're not getting paid.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

wheresmymoney!

so Buzz what does this mean? its seems like we should be getting the pro rated amount then? or is there some discrepancy because they used the word furlough instead of layoff - even though its actually a layoff since we lost our benefits.

Buzz

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on June 01, 2020, 09:35:19 PM
so Buzz what does this mean? its seems like we should be getting the pro rated amount then? or is there some discrepancy because they used the word furlough instead of layoff - even though its actually a layoff since we lost our benefits.

It means we should at least get 10/12ths (83.3%). Whether we do or not remains to be seen.

Hammer2161

I agree with Buzz on this one as far as the accrual checks and opt out money go I will remain optimistic as it appears Neil is trying to do the right thing. As far as our salaries for May and June that unfortunately at this time is water under the bridge. It is way to complicated and we would be required by law to pay back every penny we received from unemployment. Stay safe everyone and let's hope for the best.

PROUD MEMBER

I don't see the complication. We go to arbitration and win and get paid and then pay back unemployment. The complication will come if we don't get paid for the time we're furloughed and when it's time to retire and you THINK you have 20 years in and say you missed between two and four months and the Union tells you that you have to put in another ENTIRE year in order to receive a twenty year pension.

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on June 04, 2020, 10:25:50 PM
I don't see the complication. We go to arbitration and win and get paid and then pay back unemployment. The complication will come if we don't get paid for the time we're furloughed and when it's time to retire and you THINK you have 20 years in and say you missed between two and four months and the Union tells you that you have to put in another ENTIRE year in order to receive a twenty year pension.
Just retire when you're ready. The difference in pension amount from 19 to 20 yrs (or any other single year) is not worth stressing the furlough over. And it's surely not worth working an ENTIRE extra year for!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on June 04, 2020, 10:25:50 PM

No. We worked enough this year for this to count as a full year.

If it goes on past September, that's something else.

PROUD MEMBER

I should have clarified. I was speaking about going past September but now that you make the point about May & June although I agree with you maybe we should check into that. This is not an individual or a few individuals that missed May & June. And correct me if I'm wrong when it comes time for those individuals to retire the Union will tell them they owe x-amount of dollars. In this case 6000 members & the contractors haven't contributed for a full two months. Does it make a difference I don't know but stranger things have happened. With regards to the difference in pension from 19 to 20 years it's about $900 a year. To some it's nothing, to others it's the world!

Buzz

I don't think any money would be due for May and June towards the pension. If somebody, for example, had retired on April 1st, they would have had 1,000 hours in, and this year would have counted and they wouldn't owe any money.

I'm not sure by what date in March we reach 1,000 hours.

Hammer2161

I am sorry you are unable to see the complicated part of having to pay back the money to unemployment. But believe me it will be. For most who have been forced into this unfortunate situation the money they have been receiving is more then they would have cleared while working. So even if the city decides to pay us, the amount will not cover or be equal to what you have collected. They will want the entire $504 plus the entire $600 for every week you collected. I truly doubt that many if any of us were able to put that extra 600 in an envelope just in case we have to pay it back in case we get paid. They very same people who see that extra $900 a year between 19 years of service and 20 years as the world would be severely hindered by having to pay back all that money. I understand all of the frustration regarding the Doe's unwillingness to pay out the contract for May and June but at this point for many it would be better off financially playing out the way it is.

Buzz

Or ... best case scenario ... we keep both. If we got the back pay, once we go back to work, it could be paid as 40 hours overtime for 8 weeks. Unemployment problem solved.

wheresmymoney!

I really think we should get our accrual checks bcz its money we've already earned.  We lost our benefits got paid unemolyment the benifets are costing alot for some of us and the checks are going to help us all im sure!

Hammer2161

@Buzz Have to appreciate a man who is always thinking lol

PROUD MEMBER

Obviously financially it is better to keep it the way it is. I'm just shooting out scenarios and passing the time. And I would ASSUME the Union has or will request for May & June and every other month that the schools are closed. It's their responsibility whether or not we collected unemployment. Let's not forget the extra $600 ends July 31st and also if we don't go back to work until January that unemployment benefits will already have ended for some of us. Lastly with regards to paying back unemployment there are some Pioneer Employees that are already paying back. Our last day of work was March 13 but we got paid (85%) until April 30th. These employees collected unemployment during that time (7 weeks) and it caught up to them. It's not that complicated they are now paying it back.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on June 05, 2020, 05:03:46 PM
Lastly with regards to paying back unemployment there are some Pioneer Employees that are already paying back. Our last day of work was March 13 but we got paid (85%) until April 30th. These employees collected unemployment during that time (7 weeks) and it caught up to them. It's not that complicated they are now paying it back.

Well, that wasn't too bright of them.

I'm sure you know the state's UI benefits have been extended to 39 weeks.

There is a slim chance the the federal money could be extended, possibly at a reduced rate.

I hear people  ... politicians, radio personalities ... say that some people are making more, (with the $600), then they do when they're working so why would they go back? This is bullshit. If you're called back to work and refuse you are no longer entitled to UI benefits so they should stop the bullsht.