Why People Don't Want This Job

Started by Buzz, September 23, 2021, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirrorcheck

Thank you Face it . Appreciate that

The kid I couldn't agree more . The one thing we all have is a vested interest in that pension fund . I do think like Buzz says THAT reality has to be recognized sooner then later . I'm sure the company wants to make their money. "If your not expanding you are dying" some people live by that . I get it to a point . Your best asset IS your drivers . They make your company move. We are not bank tellers that can be cut because more people get direct deposit. We are special. We have to keep a clean drug test, keep our medical and health up, make sure kids are safe and accounted for , take care of a bus because let's be honest the fines are out of hand even for a senior driver . These fines are based on the company take off the city not a driver much less a junior driver . For what you start with who wants to stay with that ? Crazy

Buzz I agree hopefully something good comes out of this . I know a guy walked off . I happened to know him and I called him. He said you gotta be kidding me I got to wait all that time to add my wife and kid on medical ??? I said I know . I wasn't gonna blow smoke Up his a$$. Let's see what happens .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

The blame for this contract does NOT solely lie on the contractors. The membership at the time was heavily persuaded by our Union representatives to accept this contract, I was there, Those who voted yes were extremely shortsighted and did not realize what this will do to their future. It will stall a pension increase, and may even reduce pensions at some point. Health benefits will also be affected. All of the "extra work" being earned is not contributing "extra" to the pension or health funds in any way, a full time driver on those runs would be contributing accordingly. Hopefully, next contract the "legacy" members will think a little bit more thoroughly about their future. Hopefully!

mirrorcheck

Good point I laugh at the guys that take the extra work when this is their only career. I don't fault them for taking the money but it's Penny wise dollar foolish in the long run. It's greed from so many angles and the $hit runs downhill.
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

TheKid24

I was told if you say no to extra work they then mess with your run or bus like you really can't say no if they ask you and you don't have a valid reason to say no.

As far as the contract is concerned all I'm looking for is top
Pay to be cut in half and not to take 5 years to get all these holidays the way it's broken down.

So how does it work they come to us for suggestions and they bring it to the company ?

TheKid24

They need to make the job attractive for people on the new contract to stay and new hires coming in. Again as I said you have people taking this job and it's their career job, gotta make it worth to make it a career job for some people. But we shall see in 2022, all I know is that something's gotta change for the better.

PROUD MEMBER

It's unfortunate that this Union is short drivers but in the meantime there are plenty of people that are willing to do the extra work because they can use the money. So if you refuse extra work believe me no one is going to use that as a reason to change your run or bus. My opinion that's just people starting rumors.

Buzz

Quote from: TheKid24 on September 25, 2021, 10:59:28 PM

As far as the contract is concerned all I'm looking for is top
Pay to be cut in half and not to take 5 years to get all these holidays the way it's broken down.

So how does it work they come to us for suggestions and they bring it to the company ?

Yeah ... they ask for suggestions. Doesn't mean shit.

I'm thinking this: The contractors got a new 5-year contract last September ... after the city broke the previous one. The terms of that contract will basically determine what the owners will be willing to offer us.

If the city realizes that there has to be a better deal for new hires, they should be willing to renegotiate their contract with the owners and pay extra to them for the purpose of increasing pay and benefits to new people in addition to their existing terms. What ever those increases might be could be added to the contract in the form of a pass-along ... much like they do with the cost of having matrons.

So in other words, whatever the additional money the city gives to the contractor would be passed along to the drivers without the owners making any additional profit.

I don't know if this is feasible, but it's just a thought I had.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on September 26, 2021, 05:43:27 PM
It's unfortunate that this Union is short drivers but in the meantime there are plenty of people that are willing to do the extra work because they can use the money. So if you refuse extra work believe me no one is going to use that as a reason to change your run or bus. My opinion that's just people starting rumors.

Well, if the extra work means you won't be getting into the yard until 6 p.m. I can see some people refusing it. You can't even get fuel then. (Which is ridiculous.)

Buzz

Quote from: 04012013 on September 25, 2021, 10:32:13 PM
The blame for this contract does NOT solely lie on the contractors. The membership at the time was heavily persuaded by our Union representatives to accept this contract, I was there, Those who voted yes were extremely shortsighted and did not realize what this will do to their future. It will stall a pension increase, and may even reduce pensions at some point. Health benefits will also be affected. All of the "extra work" being earned is not contributing "extra" to the pension or health funds in any way, a full time driver on those runs would be contributing accordingly. Hopefully, next contract the "legacy" members will think a little bit more thoroughly about their future. Hopefully!

You make some very valid points.

The problem is, once the contractors have given their "best and final offer," the only alternative to rejecting a contract is going on strike.

The union knew there was no way a strike vote would have passed.