Pay increases

Started by mirrorcheck, October 17, 2021, 03:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirrorcheck

It's now I believe 3 different areas that have added 5 dollars or more to seduce more people to become school bus drivers . It can't be ignored . Hope this works it's way to us
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

I've noticed that too but they seem to be drivers without contracts, (i.e. non-union) but I'm not sure.

As longs as runs are getting covered one way or another, there is no impetus to attract new drivers. Much cheaper for the company to pay the so-called "overtime."

When they are short enough drivers that they can no longer cover the work, then they might do something, but a new contract is not long off anyway. If contractors intend to get serious about getting new blood, that's their chance to show it.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

sbdriver1

Maybe driver's shouldnt cover the work

Buzz

Quote from: sbdriver1 on October 18, 2021, 12:27:49 AM
Maybe driver's shouldnt cover the work

Yeah ... good luck trying to get them to give up the extra $$$.

mirrorcheck

Not that I care about drivers covering work. It is their choice . I do see a parallel to Congress and how they are spending money that is a choice as well. In the end it's kicking the can down the road and neither us nor Congress will have good options if this continues .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

The problem with people covering work is that they are eliminating the necessity to hire more drivers who would be paying into the pension and welfare funds. It might be good for the individuals doing work ... nothing against them ... but on the whole, it hurts us.

Golfnut

Quote from: Buzz on October 18, 2021, 05:06:46 PM
The problem with people covering work is that they are eliminating the necessity to hire more drivers who would be paying into the pension and welfare funds. It might be good for the individuals doing work ... nothing against them ... but on the whole, it hurts us.
The answer is if you do double the amount of work you should contribute double the amount to the Pension and Welfare funds . You do an extra Half you contribute half ! It's that easy . This way both funds will have no problem staying solvent ...

Buzz

Quote from: Golfnut on October 18, 2021, 06:59:41 PM
Quote from: Buzz on October 18, 2021, 05:06:46 PM
The answer is if you do double the amount of work you should contribute double the amount to the Pension and Welfare funds . You do an extra Half you contribute half ! It's that easy . This way both funds will have no problem staying solvent ...

Asked about this a long time ago. Can't be done ... legally. Contributions and payouts have to be equal. A person could not contribute more because then he would be entitled to more of a pension but it has to be the same for everybody (according to years of service, of course}.

PROUD MEMBER

Even if the drivers that cover extra work were legally allowed to pay extra into the pension and welfare we would still have to get the owners to pay their share into the pension and welfare.
And as far as Pioneer and other union contractors workers not covering the needed extra work, then those union companies would lose those runs which in the long run will hurt our union even more because those runs would go to non-union less paying companies.
Bottom line is next contract we have to negotiate something better for new hires as far as pay and benefits go. Which will be far from easy. Just look at the state of our country, our state and our city.
I for one thought that when we got laid off due to Covid that the school bus industry might be gone forever! Thank God I was wrong. So let's think about how we go about things!

mirrorcheck

Proud member those are all good points. I marvel at these few facts : we as drivers have a ton of responsibilities and liable if something goes wrong . Being irresponsible or not paying attention and having a bad day can cause great harm  or (God Forbid) even death to the "precious cargo " we carry. The city they say is spending up to $40,000.00 a year for kids education. We all know there is waste, fraud and abuse within this system and the city in General . As in the state (Hochul seems to be just as left as Cuomo the new competition is how far left can you be the moderate Dems are few or just 2 left ). At the white house  Forget it . If in fact you  can believe I just read yesterday from the White House calls for teachers to be paid more .
           This issue isn't going away . I'm realistic and don't say we are sitting at the table with all the high cards and odds in our favor . Something has to be done . This isn't just our city and  state that's effected . I do believe if played right there is enough content and facts that are in our favor . The argument that scaling down and treating the job as less in fact has gotten it to the very point it is now mixed in with COVID and the bare bones contract now for up and comings . It will only get worse and selling out the unborn is no longer an option . That also mirrors the same thing with how we move forward and spend money at all levels of government as well . Perilous times

TheKid24

Quote from: mirrorcheck on October 22, 2021, 11:52:43 AM
Proud member those are all good points. I marvel at these few facts : we as drivers have a ton of responsibilities and liable if something goes wrong . Being irresponsible or not paying attention and having a bad day can cause great harm  or (God Forbid) even death to the "precious cargo " we carry. The city they say is spending up to $40,000.00 a year for kids education. We all know there is waste, fraud and abuse within this system and the city in General . As in the state (Hochul seems to be just as left as Cuomo the new competition is how far left can you be the moderate Dems are few or just 2 left ). At the white house  Forget it . If in fact you  can believe I just read yesterday from the White House calls for teachers to be paid more .
           This issue isn't going away . I'm realistic and don't say we are sitting at the table with all the high cards and odds in our favor . Something has to be done . This isn't just our city and  state that's effected . I do believe if played right there is enough content and facts that are in our favor . The argument that scaling down and treating the job as less in fact has gotten it to the very point it is now mixed in with COVID and the bare bones contract now for up and comings . It will only get worse and selling out the unborn is no longer an option . That also mirrors the same thing with how we move forward and spend money at all levels of government as well . Perilous times

I've seen other companies striking due to lack of covid pay and lack of pay in general giving all the extra work drivers need to do with the lack of pay they are currently receiving. I've said it before and I'll say it again if this isn't addressed the current situation is going to get worse than what it is.....people will leave for better paying jobs which is already happening and new drivers aren't coming in

Buzz

TheKid24: You have to learn to type your message OUTSIDE of the message you quote.  ;D