Furlough

Started by Eucerin, November 20, 2020, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer2161

Wig I respect your opinion and just so you know I do catholic schools and could very well be affected by this even though I am in the top half of drivers at Pioneer.
But with that being said I have been a union worker all my life and seniority has been the one thing that has been respected all a long. Fortunately and yes I said Fortunately that is the one thing they have not been able to take away from us. 
Having a so called Pick only insures us that we have the same run everyday. It does not insure that a junior driver or attendant will work in the case of furloughs or layoffs.
I feel as you do and wish it was different but unfortunately it can not be. If we allowed that to happen it would undermine the very fibers that make up a union.
The Union also needs to look out for us in a way that will not allow the senior drivers or attendants the right to choose what run they take on a temporary basis. Once offered a run if they should decline they MUST be removed from the list of people looking for work. That is our only defense.

faceit

Quote from: WigWag16 on November 21, 2020, 02:04:18 PM
Sooooo as I stated.....why bother to pay union dues as a junior man if you're here one year if basically after thanksgiving I'm paying the union to screw myself over to lose my run. You can't compare this situation to another situation when it comes to seniority because this is a situation of its own. And let me be clear I'm not saying I don't respect anyone that's here 20 plus years that's not the case, my father is a retired driver I have all the respect in the world for senior drivers BUT as I said how does this situation help me. I'm paying the union to help me and look out for me by having my run taken from me. It's not fair, it's not right, it's total bs and this just doesn't affect junior men this could affect senior men too taking another senior mans run. I'm sorry but I'm firm with if your school is closed you don't work if your school is open on your run you work. That's the whole purpose picking runs. You guys stayed away from Catholic and Jewish because they come in late but now because some drivers are lucky to still have those schools open to work you wanna bump them off. What's next on a regular
day when the public schools are closed you wanna bump a guy off because you want a days pay when Jewish and Catholic is open? It's not right and this situation has nothing to do with seniority I don't care how you try and spin it. They should ask all the drivers who's schools are closed if they want to work then they would be called in seniority order if a current open school driver doesn't want to go into work.

Your run you work.....

This also has nothing to do with stirring the pot, or disrespecting anyone. I'm an employee with an opinion doesn't matter how many years you're here.
Maybe you should work at a non-union shop like Vinny's Pioneer is for a guy like you!!!
All lives matter

WigWag16

Okaaaaaay which brings me to my statement why am I paying dues to have my run potentially taken from me? How does that help me?

Prior to this pandemic I was doing trips 3-4 days a week with 3 schools in the PM(1 Jewish) at the end of the day you can't convince me that it's fair and right. It's gonna happen my opinion or not BUT you can't change my stance and opinion on it. And you have to factor in the pay scale that's a big difference if you're at top pay takin someone run during the holiday season making 21.97 or someone making less under you. Also as I said this could affect a senior man too.

And another thing ain't nobody crying over here. Simply casting my opinion as I can because I'm sure if the shoe were on the foot you'd be seeing it and talking from it too. By all means yes you earned and paid your dues over the years I'm not arguing or taking that away from you,
You earned it BUT I don't see how screwing someone over is earning your way? Is that what a union shop is lol. These are unprecedented times and I don't think
You can use the seniority card you'd use in any other case compared to this unprecedented situation

Again casting an opinion.

WigWag16

Quote from: faceit on November 21, 2020, 02:28:51 PM
Sooooo as I stated.....why bother to pay union dues as a junior man if you're here one year if basically after thanksgiving I'm paying the union to screw myself over to lose my run. You can't compare this situation to another situation when it comes to seniority because this is a situation of its own. And let me be clear I'm not saying I don't respect anyone that's here 20 plus years that's not the case, my father is a retired driver I have all the respect in the world for senior drivers BUT as I said how does this situation help me. I'm paying the union to help me and look out for me by having my run taken from me. It's not fair, it's not right, it's total bs and this just doesn't affect junior men this could affect senior men too taking another senior mans run. I'm sorry but I'm firm with if your school is closed you don't work if your school is open on your run you work. That's the whole purpose picking runs. You guys stayed away from Catholic and Jewish because they come in late but now because some drivers are lucky to still have those schools open to work you wanna bump them off. What's next on a regular
day when the public schools are closed you wanna bump a guy off because you want a days pay when Jewish and Catholic is open? It's not right and this situation has nothing to do with seniority I don't care how you try and spin it. They should ask all the drivers who's schools are closed if they want to work then they would be called in seniority order if a current open school driver doesn't want to go into work.

Your run you work.....

This also has nothing to do with stirring the pot, or disrespecting anyone. I'm an employee with an opinion doesn't matter how many years you're here.
Maybe you should work at a non-union shop like Vinny's Pioneer is for a guy like you!!!
[/quote

Guess I struck a nerve....well have a good weekend. Not gonna spend my weekend arguing over opinions myself and others share. Again it's gonna happen or it's not gonna happen, let's not get our feelings in a bunch over guys casting opinions. Stay safe, I've said all I had to say and won't be a broken record

faceit

I'm not the one writing novels
All lives matter

PROUD MEMBER

I still don't fully understand what was being asked by Andy & Anthony yesterday morning and for what exact reason.
I was asked by Anthony if I had a private school on my run.
I said yes, I do a Catholic school.
He said ok that's all I need to know and Andy said if it remains open and gets service that I have to work.
Neither one asked me my seniority number (which is around 70 but they don't know that off hand, it could be 170).
Neither one asked me if my specific Catholic school was closed if I wanted to put my name on the list to cover another private school.

Buzz

Quote from: LMAO on November 21, 2020, 12:56:47 PM
Damn buzz (aka double agent man )come up for air or rest those chubby little  fingers  ! Listen you pick and Sign for your run your name goes with that run ,if there's no pick you stay with that run good or bad ,he'll I hate coming in  late I was told no pick this year I'm stuck and have to deal with it  but now we pick and choose when seniority comes into play , can I than take a junior person afternoon because I don't like mine  ? The answer is NO ! But I'm senior !  If it gets that bad than we throw out the current pick let seniority rule and when school going to return we have a new pick for everyone .
Picks = seniority
Charters Runs = seniority
O/T Coverage = seniority
Your assigned run shuts down = stay home

LOL ... you should be the one talking about "chubby little fingers" ...Fuckin' Baby Huey!  ;D ;D ;D

You got the last line wrong. Should read:
Picks = seniority
Charters Runs = seniority
O/T Coverage = seniority
Your assigned run shuts down = SENIORITY

Now wrap your chubby little fingers around a paddle the size of an oar because that's what you need to STIR THE SHIT!!! Nobody does it better!  ;D ;D ;D
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

faceit

I'm going to venture to guess that most of these people that are complaining about what's going on probably never worked in a union Job. A union shop it's all about seniority it's all about top guys on the list and I by no means am on top of the list at Pioneer get taken care of first and then it goes down the list that's what a union is supposed to do and that's exactly what they are doing here at PIONEER. Working for UNION is not for everybody for that very reason...
All lives matter

Buzz

It's not right and this situation has nothing to do with seniority I don't care how you try and spin it.

This is what you're refusing to accept. It has EVERYTHING to do with seniority and it doesn't need any spin.

WTF

You have the right to cast your own opinion, that's your right and I not saying you shouldn't. I also understand the new generations thinking "ME ME ME"! Well it's not about you!!! Your paying your dues for the good of ALL. Just like we all pay our dues, for the good of All union members. Some need it more than others, some never need it at all. This is a UNION SHOP and Seniority still matters (to a point).

BTW: I did IS than Mt. Loretta than 2 out RJJ got in after 6pm every night.

I do wish you and your family a Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on November 21, 2020, 02:46:26 PM
I still don't fully understand what was being asked by Andy & Anthony yesterday morning and for what exact reason.
I was asked by Anthony if I had a private school on my run.
I said yes, I do a Catholic school.
He said ok that's all I need to know and Andy said if it remains open and gets service that I have to work.
Neither one asked me my seniority number (which is around 70 but they don't know that off hand, it could be 170).
Neither one asked me if my specific Catholic school was closed if I wanted to put my name on the list to cover another private school.

I am SURE they are well aware that you are senior enough to keep your run, though they might not know your exact number off hand.

If it's just your catholic school that is closed temporarily I believe you would be given the opportunity to shape or do another run. They were not trying to cover every possible scenario yesterday, just make up a list of drivers who wanted to work according to seniority.

Buzz

Quote from: WTF on November 21, 2020, 03:02:15 PM
BTW: I did IS than Mt. Loretta than 2 out RJJ got in after 6pm every night.
I do wish you and your family a Happy, Healthy and Safe Holidays.

Yep ... these new guys have no idea how easy they have it.

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th years here i did FIVE fucking schools in the afternoon. FIVE! Now they think we should surrender our seniority?
(The upside to that was I never had to worry about anybody picking my run ... LOL.)

And by they way, as far as paying union dues, we've been paying a lot longer than they have.

I do want to add that I think most newbies understand how it works. Of course they're not happy about being furloughed, but they're taking it in stride. I not only sympathize with them, I'll be on unemployment with them. But there are always those few ...

Hammer2161

As long as they run that list the right way there should not be any issues.
Once a driver or matron is offered a run if they by chance should refuse for whatever reason they must be removed from the list.
There can be no favoritism in this instance they can not be afforded the chance to wait for a better run.
That truly is the only defense any of the drivers that may be affected by this have. Because we all know that there will be plenty of top dogs not willing to come in at 5pm or later.
This is not a pick, you are being given a chance to work should you choose to but you should not be afforded the choice in what you get.
Remember this should only be temporary and hopefully it doesn't even happen !!!!

A LOT CAN HAPPEN BETWEEN NOW AND MONDAY THE 30TH. SO STAY TUNED

I FOR ONE WILL BE WORKING THIS COMING WEEK SO FOR THOSE I WILL NOT SEE
HAPPY THANKSGIVING 🦃🍽🍁!!!!

Buzz

Quote from: WTF on November 21, 2020, 02:15:20 PM
That changed when Eddie became our shop steward and made most new runs trip runs. That's one of the reasons why you don't get trips everyday and when senior men retired they made those runs trip runs.

You're exactly right ... he ruined a lot of good runs by doing that.

(So much for protecting seniority.)

yabba

buzz     ..i guess if officially laid off, we will be on the hook for 85.00 a week for medical and pension,if as reported in NY Post we keep them....