Furlough

Started by Eucerin, November 20, 2020, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on November 21, 2020, 03:58:09 PM
buzz     ..i guess if officially laid off, we will be on the hook for 85.00 a week for medical and pension,if as reported in NY Post we keep them....

So far, as I understand it, part of the 43% will go to pay our medical and pension. But the way I see it, that's only as good as the city honoring their contract with the owners.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

LMAO

That's why my user name is LMAO because of this place ! To be clear to some on this web site I did the 3 schools in the AM 4 in the PM and last bus in the yard while doing 4 to 5 trips ( April,may,June ) and have been part of (A)union for over 30 yrs ! As I posted Before this does not effect me right now so there's no me me me first this is a temporary situation that should not be taken anyone's runs away . when/ if the situation changes to very long term than you wipe out the current pick make a new pick of opened schools and start from the top ! When all school reopen you do it again that the fair way to do it , but wait that involves work ! All this back and force is because of the half ass way it's being handled I'm all for treating everyone equally from #1 to #400 but the I want my money and I want it now only helps yourself  . Remember Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you  !
Try and enjoy your family on this Thanksgiving and stay safe

As for Buzz 😘

Buzz

Quote from: LMAO on November 21, 2020, 05:13:45 PM
... this is a temporary situation that should not be taken anyone's runs away . when/ if the situation
Nobody's "taking away" anybody's run. It's simple math. If there are only 160 runs  (approximately) that are working you only need 160 drivers to do them. You have to lay off everybody else. Who do you let go? Senior drivers? C'mon man, you can't be serious.

Quote from: LMAO on November 21, 2020, 05:13:45 PM
As for Buzz 

You're still my favorite shit stirrer. Have a great Thanksgiving.  ;D

faceit

Buzz they just don't get the concept of a Union.... the only person safe in this scenario is the #1 guy that's it!!
All lives matter

Hammer2161

You know that's bullshit, I believe they totally understand what a union does and means.

What I believe the real problem is is desperation, there are surely some brothers and sisters that barely got through the last furlough and now they are possibly facing another. For some of us maybe and just maybe you didn't have to worry about making your mortgage or even worse putting food on the table to feed your family. And if you are or were one of the lucky ones then good for you. I have seen people's faces in the drivers room and while talking to them personally and what I see is fear. I wish there was another way to put it but unfortunately there is not.

I am not looking into anyone's pockets but how about a little compassion for the our brothers and sisters who are less fortunate. Maybe and just maybe if you don't truly need the extra money from actually working and you can get by on unemployment plus whatever other income you have coming in you don't just work for the sake of working.

Yes this is a union shop and SENIORITY DOES ULTIMATELY PREVAIL but what about COMPASSION FOR EACH OTHER. Let's try to understand each other's anxiety and fears and possibly try not to be so uncaring.

Listen if you really need to work and your seniority affords you the option of picking someone off their run temporarily so that you can survive then by all means do what you need to.

But please I am begging you please don't look lightly at someone else who may possibly need to work to simply just get by.

This is a time to be thankful for our health and our loved ones. Some of us are not that fortunate right now. So all I am asking is PLEASE KEEP EACH OTHER IN YOUR PRAYERS AND HOPEFULLY NONE OF THIS COMES TO FRUITION AND WE ALL CAN GET BACK TO WORK COME NOVEMBER 30Th.

PROUD MEMBER

Pre-COVID-19, during COVID-19 or post-COVID-19 nothing should make be any different. We are in a Union and have a contract. That contract should be honored and if it's not honored then a suit should be filed and let the courts figure it out even if it takes years. If anyone thinks that Neil and the other owners aren't fighting to get paid for April, May & June and any other money that their owed (if they didn't get it already) you're only fooling urself.
To LMAO's point
Let's take two "new hires."
Say #272 in seniority who started in October of 2016 and #350 in seniority that started in October of 2020. As per contract neither one gets paid if they don't actually work.
When Easter week rolls around (and it's not the same time as Passover) and #350 works because he has a Jewish school but #272 has to collect unemployment because all he has is public schools that are closed even though it's a temporary layoff is #272 allowed to take #350's work for that week.
The answer is NO.

yabba

how is this working....if the current #100 has a private school on his run,that driver stays on his current run.. correct? ....

PROUD MEMBER

There's so many different scenarios.
Bottom line ... We don't have a say ... Whatever it will be will be and none of us are going to change it.

Hammer2161

Yabba, I was there the other day while Ernie was in the yard and to my understanding if you already have a private school, jewish school or charter school that is not in a DOE building then you have to do your OWN RUN. The only option to pick is if you only do public schools and you would be forced onto unemployment.

With that said, to my understanding  there are 20 something runs right now that fall into the private school sector that do not have a regular driver assigned to them. They would be up for pick first. Then they would be able to pick from the bottom up. But they must take the next run that is available they can not choose who's run they pick. They will be handed a run and it's either yes or no. If you have private or Jewish schools and it does not get to you you continue to do your run. They can not take it from you.

Please remember this is only temporary and does not constitute an actual pick.

steady

I do understand the despair of the newly hired members.  I was laid off many years ago when I was not a union member.  I had my own run for 2 months when union members were brought in from another bus location.  I lost my seniority number when the union members that were brought in went ahead of me.  I was let go for a couple of months before they had a spot for me. That's how it is.  Job security with seniority.  Most  don't know what happened many years ago during the Mayor Abe Beame administration during the 1970's.  NYC was on the verge of bankruptcy and had to lay off many many employees. sanitation, cops, firemen city personnel etc. They didn't lay off from the top down.  Those with the least seniority was laid off.  Unions play a vital roll for our job security.  Our union is not perfect but necessary.

yabba

Hammer that's how in understood it also and seems fair to me

Hammer2161

The unfortunate reality is that when it comes to being furloughed or laid off if it's not going to affect everyone that works at any union job it must happen from least senior to the most senior.
SENIORITY is truly the only thing most union jobs are still clinging to, if we allowed Pioneer to lay off who they want in an attempt to save money we would be helping to undermine the entire purpose of our union. I know it sucks and it most likely sucks more for some than others but it has to happen this way or there truly is no reason for unions.

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on November 21, 2020, 08:07:11 PM
how is this working....if the current #100 has a private school on his run,that driver stays on his current run.. correct? ....

For next week, yes. For the following week it depends how many senior guys to him want to work.

Buzz

Quote from: faceit on November 21, 2020, 06:28:21 PM
Buzz they just don't get the concept of a Union.... the only person safe in this scenario is the #1 guy that's it!!

Right!

Buzz

Quote from: steady on November 21, 2020, 10:12:11 PM
I do understand the despair of the newly hired members.  I was laid off many years ago when I was not a union member.  I had my own run for 2 months when union members were brought in from another bus location.  I lost my seniority number when the union members that were brought in went ahead of me.  I was let go for a couple of months before they had a spot for me. That's how it is.  Job security with seniority.  Most  don't know what happened many years ago during the Mayor Abe Beame administration during the 1970's.  NYC was on the verge of bankruptcy and had to lay off many many employees. sanitation, cops, firemen city personnel etc. They didn't lay off from the top down.  Those with the least seniority was laid off.  Unions play a vital roll for our job security.  Our union is not perfect but necessary.

Excellent example. Thank you.