New Contract Discussion

Started by Buzz, February 09, 2016, 05:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Fellow Members
This is my opinion please take it into consideration as I do yours. First of all the idea of striking us striking in cold or warm weather makes no difference to Neil what so ever. Worker341 you state if we sign this contract then what about next contract. That makes no sense the last MOA that we signed we all gave back between $1000 and $8000 depending on your seniority and overtime. Today's MOA we're not giving back anything we're gaining things. It may not be what we want or deserve but it's more than what we have today. For those who are stuck on this idea that we have to get back all of what we gave up because we are owed it ...  Plain English ... Think about what you are saying? We are not children! We were not forced to sign thst last MOA. What man or woman in their right mind no matter what they are told or no matter what is insinuated could possibly think they are going to get back what they willingly signed away? As far as I'm concerned this current contract negotiation is not based on what the last contract was it based on bettering our present contract. I could go on and on. I could also go into specifics but it really doesn't make a difference. So to get to the point no matter if you are a new hire, you are a retired city workers or not, you have 5 years in the Union or you have 40 years in the Union we all have to face reality. And reality is no matter how shitty any of us including myself think this contract is WE ALL HAVE TO VOTE YES!!!! The reason being is very simple. If we don't sign it we will DEFINITELY be outside the gate. And when and IF We go back to work it will be for this same MOA that we didn't sign if not less. Plus we will never recoup the money that we lose while we're on strike. And that's not to mention the Members who NEED the medical. Unfortunately a YES vote is a no-brainer! What's done is done! Whoever is to blame is to blame but what I'm saying is REALITY. If you don't agree with me and it's up to them to respond if they want ask Buzz and ask John Chico. I don't think you could find two guys on this site that are on more opposite ends than them but I'd go out on a limb and say they'd both agree me. God Bless all my Brothers & Sisters!

gigi11744

Proud Member makes some valid points ,,contract is not the greatest by a long shot ,,but in reality we had no give backs,my only fear is the medical for 2017,,that was left open in the funding area and that's  where it scares me ,, now the new members made some great gains and that's where it was needed,if not for new hirees this union will go under and pensions will be drastically reduced or lost.. so  i see what micheal did here,and it makes sense from a union stand point ,but  we could have received the retro from Sept 1, and and least one accrual day back now and the rest in 2018,,but a no vote means strike and nobody wins then,,again just an opinion ,we all have to make the a decision...

Grrr

Let me see if I got this right.  Instead of giving back to drivers, some who have been here 25, 30, and 35 plus years, money that they gave up so the owner  could be competitive in a bid, but never needed because he got an extension, and now feels its his, he would rather us go on strike, shut down yards in Staten Island and the Bronx, idle 600 plus buses, lose payment from his contract, lose his medical payment from the city, and be fined $500,000 a day.  WOW!!

24yrs1181

Since the last strike some contractors have invested in STRIKE INSURANCE , this will cover close to 80% of lost revenue and if you figure in what will be saved in operating costs , why would he not want you to strike , and why would he give you a decent contract, why would he negotiate with the same fool that gave up the whole store to them and then comes back looking for a refund, we have been played big time, remember this next time your Stewart packs you all in the buses to go to a phony  Cordiello vote , it's all on the members once again, you now need to think about a hypothetical scenario, that is not really so hypothetical because it has happened before , you go out on the strike line and since we all have multiple contracts no other 1181 company will strike with you because it's not there contract and will face immediate termination , the BOE pulls Pioneers  work, your company closes it's doors and says goodby to all of you, your GM has plenty of time to replace the membership with all new low paid drivers, re opens under a new name with all his new drivers after he puts a new  bid in on the next round of BOE work and he is golden, hence the tragedy of not having a union wide contract, because anyone can replace a few hundred workers but replacing a whole union is something that won't happen , tell your boy Michael to get us all back under ONE CONTRACT and bring back our combined unified strength he gave away with a wink and a nod to his best friends the CONTRACTORS!!!!,,,, don't matter who you work for we are all in a world of trouble!!

PROUD MEMBER

I don't know if Neil has insurance or not with regards to us striking? What I do know is no matter how much it would cost him per day if we were to strike he has enough money to outlast each and every one of us. Him and his family's lifestyle would not change AT ALL where as the majority of our's would change drastically after one week. And I'm just talking financially not even thinking about our Medical.
Just read 24yrs1181's last post.
Now this is a guy who we all know has nothing good to say about Michael at all. And he can correct me if I'm misinterpreting him but I believe what he is saying is vote YES because right now this is the best we're gonna get and don't risk possible losing our jobs. Then afterward at the next election we go in a different direction whether it be Tommy or someone else.
I really thing a YES vote is a no-brainer and there's really no reason to get into specifics because basically there's 3 specifics in the new MOA.
1. Sign it and our Medical is secure.
2. We get a 5% raise over 2 1/2 yrs.
3. 2 weeks before this contract ends all of us that lost accrual days will get back all the days each of us lost.
These are 3 things MORE than we have today plus a YES vote assures us that we have a job for the next 2 1/2 years. For those who don't want to hear "Thank God we have a job" all I can respectively say to you is look at our economy and THANK GOD YOU HAVE A JOB. Believe me there are thousands of men & women that are ready, willing and able to take our 800 positions at Pioneer.

Buzz

You forgot one!

4. Paid sick days

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

24yrs1181

its a sad day that you might get kicked in the teeth and have to say , thank you, there has been too many good , hard working people that have had to say goodby to this job through no fault of their own , now we have been put into the fire one more time, if we were all under one contract it would be a no brainer to dismiss any insulting contract, but because of the decision our current leadership has elected to stand behind that leaves us unprotected under multiple contracts it would be terrible to see any brother or sister find themselves replaced and not have a job, it might be better to pick this fight when we have stronger leadership.

Buzz

It will be better to pick this fight when we get an EPP from Albany ... which is very likely this year THANKS TO MICHAEL AND OUR CURRENT EB.

(But even then you won't give him any credit.)

worker341

John you hit the nail right on the head with your statement. Just don't understand why the Union can't give us more time to vote. We did wait many months for Neil to give us this bullshit contract, now I think he should wait longer for our votes.

Buzz

Quote from: worker341 on February 11, 2016, 06:02:38 PM
John you hit the nail right on the head with your statement. Just don't understand why the Union can't give us more time to vote. We did wait many months for Neil to give us this bullshit contract, now I think he should wait longer for our votes.

Ernie said it's because the city wants a contract before they release the money they're giving towards the medical.

PROUD MEMBER

Are we really going to start debating on when we should vote? Regardless if the Medical Fund was solvent or not there's nothing in this MOA to decipher that can't be done in 5 minutes let alone 2 days or 2 months. Furthermore as it appears ALL are starting to see a that there is Realistically no other vote than a YES vote. Why prolong the STRESS? Go in tomorrow morning, vote, do your job and then begin to start seriously thinking and doing whatever is needed so that you & I don't have to read & listen to my shit at the end of June 2018!

4real

Oh boy it's always about what benefits the owners... I hope you can sleep at night you little scumbag! I don't know how you can come to work knowing everybody hates you douchebag

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on February 11, 2016, 07:11:43 PM
Are we really going to start debating on when we should vote? Regardless if the Medical Fund was solvent or not there's nothing in this MOA to decipher that can't be done in 5 minutes let alone 2 days or 2 months. Furthermore as it appears ALL are starting to see a that there is Realistically no other vote than a YES vote. Why prolong the STRESS? Go in tomorrow morning, vote, do your job and then begin to start seriously thinking and doing whatever is needed so that you & I don't have to read & listen to my shit at the end of June 2018!

I've refrained from mentioning this before, but this is at least the 3rd time in recent threads that you've "scolded" people for what they choose to talk about. That's kind of the purpose of an open discussion board ... capeesh?

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Sometimes u amaze me. Unfortunately I was never blessed to have children of my own. Which means I have NEVER SCOLDED anyone in my life! You do not have a more neutral and respectful member on this site. Every other one of my posts say "This is my opinion" or "I respect everyone's opinion" or "I don't want to argue" or "God Bless my fellow Brothers & Sisters," etc., etc. With regards to my last post I wasn't scolding I was trying to ensure that other Union Members at Pioneer know that it is my opinion to vote YES and to vote NOW not two weeks or two months from now when our Medical will be gone and Neil may withdraw the little bit that he is willing to give. You sincerely hurt me with your comment. I would think by now you know me better than that. Furthermore with the way others talk to each other on this site including yourself you're going to talk negative about me? For 6 weeks up until 3 weeks ago we had a Member (wakeup123) that practically told people to go F themselves and that was OK with you. Lastly I'd assume when 24yrs1181 posts something and you comment back that you're not SCOLDING HIM!

Buzz

Being the word "scold" was in quotes, that means it should not be taken literally, so please don't. I wasn't saying you shouldn't voice your opinion or can't disagree with others. I was saying you should not define what topic(s) others should or should not be able to discuss.