Watched press conference about opening schools

Started by wheresmymoney!, July 31, 2020, 05:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheresmymoney!

still no mention of school bus service. I was watching meeting on line and was able to ask Carranza abt school bus service the other day.  He acknowledged they broke their contract with the bus companies and stopped paying and he said theyre talking to some bus companies about bus service for fall for those "who need it".  I wasnt crazy abt that answer.  Thats all I got.  Just thought I'd share.

WigWag16

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on July 31, 2020, 05:09:26 PM
still no mention of school bus service. I was watching meeting on line and was able to ask Carranza abt school bus service the other day.  He acknowledged they broke their contract with the bus companies and stopped paying and he said theyre talking to some bus companies about bus service for fall for those "who need it".  I wasnt crazy abt that answer.  Thats all I got.  Just thought I'd share.

Doesn't mean nothing until Cuomo gives the green light....they can talk all they want

PROUD MEMBER

Here's a follow up on my calls with 3 of our local politicians on 7/13/20.
I just got off the phone with these offices:

Debbie Rose - They are very aware of our school bus concerns but the Mayor's Office still doesn't have a definitive plan for the OVERALL school problem and is unresponsive. Was told that this year's budget that was just put in place on July 1 is $88 billion (which is already down from previous years) and that if the federal and state governments do not help with money that we will not even meet that budget and up to 22,000 city employees can lose their jobs come October.

Joe Borelli - Also very aware of our predicament and have reached out to the Mayor's Office SPECIFICALLY with regards to school busing. The Mayor's Office is unresponsive.

Max Rose - In my OPINION - Doesn't give a shit. If that changes I'll let you know.

wheresmymoney!

Its just nuts that noone is acknowledging the need for school busses when schools reopen.  Metro cards and all that will beca shitshow like during strike.

PROUD MEMBER

Also which I failed to mention was that this morning they didn't call me back I called them back as a follow-up to my call on 7/13/20. And both Debbie Rose and Joe Borelli's offices were apologetic for not returning my call yet but said the reason why (which Ernie has stated) is that unfortunately because the Mayor's Office is unresponsive that they really have nothing to tell me. They both assured me that if and when they hear anything of interest that they will be in contact.

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Last thing with regards to politicians. Debbie Rose's office which I touched on specifically said that I should reach out to our Senators and Congress members because without the federal government giving money to the state which in turn gives it to the city it will only be the school bus drivers that are worried about their jobs.

yabba

it doesnt look good and im not able to stay positive anymore... basically looks like the govt is in a complete lock down,and things probably wont change anytime soon.  the mayor has a count down clock till the election in front of the camera now..  i guess BLM in front of Trump  Tower didnt satisfy him enough...its a mess...try to keep the faith i guess

yabba

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on July 31, 2020, 08:20:01 PM
Last thing with regards to politicians. Debbie Rose's office which I touched on specifically said that I should reach out to our Senators and Congress members because without the federal government giving money to the state which in turn gives it to the city it will only be the school bus drivers that are worried about their jobs.

thanks for your advice and trying..i made a few phone calls and left messages that i felt went to deaf ears....it was worth a shot,but i feel all politicians at this point failed us work class that were tossed to the curb...

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on July 31, 2020, 08:20:01 PM

My understanding is that the state did get the money specifically earmarked for school transportation but nobody has been able to find out what the hell happened to it! Something very wrong here.

Buzz

Yet the city has $400,000,000 to send $420 EBT cards to every public school kid in NYC.

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/food/food-benefits

PROUD MEMBER

My understanding is that the state did get the money specifically earmarked for school transportation but nobody has been able to find out what the hell happened to it! Something very wrong here.
[/quote]

I heard the same thing but that was the money from the first and so far only stimulus package. What it was used for is anyone's guess. The councilwoman's office is referring to additional money from the federal & State for this year's budget which started July 1st. And as I said she's not just talking about money to bail out the school system, she's talking about money to bail out all city agencies.

Buzz

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification, PROUD MEMBER.

yabba

Quote from: Buzz on August 01, 2020, 02:25:02 AM
Yet the city has $400,000,000 to send $420 EBT cards to every public school kid in NYC.

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/school-life/food/food-benefits

plus their parents already have  500.00 in first stimulus,and another round coming  most likely...free laptops or ipads..  and they claim we wont return to work cause of the 600.00 a week...  both sides suck.. why do we even vote,they all bull$hit