OPT Doubling Down on No Mask Policy

Started by Buzz, September 24, 2020, 03:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Found this on Fb, apparently sent to contractors yesterday.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

hideout

Sounds like unless there is a medical or developmental reason why a student can't wear a mask then they should not be allowed on the bus.

Buzz

Quote from: hideout on September 24, 2020, 03:40:34 AM
    Sounds like unless there is a medical or developmental reason why a student can't wear a mask then they should not be allowed on the bus.

Yes, but if there is a legitimate reason the student cannot wear a mask, alternate transportation should be arranged by OPT. Otherwise, everyone else on the bus is put in jeopardy.

Hammer2161

I do special needs children most of them suffer from Down syndrome and there are a few in wheelchairs. I have been doing the school since Monday and have yet to observe a single child without a mask. I will bet dollar for doughnut most of these issues will come from general Ed students.

I think OPT should have the reason a child can not wear a mask officially documented with a doctors note and a copy of said note should be given to the bus driver. This way we can turn it in to PIONEER and see if the can expedite a different mode of transportation to and from school for each child through OPT.

The fact is children are carriers and can transmit the virus to anyone else on that bus.

Buzz

Agreed, Hammer. But I think that OPT should have issued a statement (and maybe they have) that parents of children who cannot wear masks should contact them for transportation arrangements ... BEFORE they attempt to put them on a bus.

hideout

This is not Rocket science OPT writes their rules in a way that there is no clear interpretation. It is all done on purpose to keep the waters muddied. The bottom line is their rules put drivers and students alike at risk of covid 19. Even you Buzz noted the discrepancy between the CDC guidelines for seating and the seating chart put out by OPT. No one cares or the safety protocols would have been adequate, clear, and concise. Our safety is just not a high priority as evidenced by handing out 10 masks, and some hand sanitizer. Someone told me well we could not have plexiglass because it blocks our vision. Well how come the MTA has them as well as a number of ATU shops around the country. And what about all the proposals Michael put  forth which many believe were very  GOOD. How many did we get? 10 masks and some hand sanitizer. What a crying shame.

WigWag16

Speaking of seats what happened to buses having the X symbols on them...it's been a week nothing was added to it and does anyone know if these buses are actually sprayed down at the end of the day ?

OMG

Dear Diane of OPT,
                           I do appreciate you willingly putting the life and well-being of me and my family along with the life and well-being of the other students and their families at risk, thanks but no thanks. Neither you nor anyone else has the right to knowingly put me or anyone's life at risk. Once again, you had six months to figure this out. If there are children out there who cannot wear a mask you must find other modes of transportation, or, if you are truly that concerned that they get to school, jump out from behind your desk covered in plexiglass and do it yourself. You'll probably have to do it during one of your virtual days when you work from home safe and sound, Must be nice.

Buzz

Quote from: hideout on September 24, 2020, 06:18:03 PM
     This is not Rocket science OPT writes their rules in a way that there is no clear interpretation. It is all done on purpose to keep the waters muddied.

You're exactly right. All they're concerned with is covering their own asses while giving conflicting guidance to us.

Buzz

Quote from: WigWag16 on September 24, 2020, 07:06:46 PM
Speaking of seats what happened to buses having the X symbols on them...it's been a week nothing was added to it and does anyone know if these buses are actually sprayed down at the end of the day ?

I think you should make Andy aware. Most buses have the tape X's.