Emergency EB meeting tomorrow regarding PAY

Started by Buzz, March 15, 2020, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Just checked with Ernie about 9 p.m. Zilch from Michael. (Which only means he has no answers from the city yet.)

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

No answers from the city yet as far as what?

wheresmymoney!

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 18, 2020, 02:58:15 AM
who decides if we get paid? Neil or the City?

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Get paid for what and when?
Are you talking about after April 20th?
Because from previous posts I'm under the understanding that we are getting at least 85% pay until April 20th.

Buzz

Quote from: wheresmymoney! on March 18, 2020, 06:48:17 AM
who decides if we get paid? Neil or the City?

I'm ASSUMING that his conferences with the city have to do with determining whether the city is going to honor their contract so that Neil continues to get paid so that we can continue to get paid. I would think it would be a "given" but this is the "city."

Contrary to what another poster said, Neil does NOT get paid in advance. Like most other businesses, he gets paid AFTER the service is rendered ... usually the following month, if he's lucky. No secret that the city is not the most prompt payer. (Ask anybody in any industry doing business with NYC.)

We've been told we're good at 85% to the 20th, and we'll have to take that at face value. As far as beyond that date, I know we all want answers NOW, including myself. We're just going to have to stay calm and wait for accurate guidance from the union going forward. I promise I'll let you know the minute I hear anything. That's the best I can do.

PROUD MEMBER

Ok thanks.
Here's my thoughts. Whether it's  85% or 100% until April 20th then if we're still out after that we will continue getting paid. My reasoning is Neil is not going to pay us for the next 5 weeks until April 20th unless he's getting paid by the City. Which means that both the City and Neil are honoring their respective contracts. So why wouldn't they do it after April 20th? Furthermore the Mayor has to realize honoring the contract with the Contractors literally affects thousands of us workers and our families. A contract is a contract and I understand this is an unprecedented circumstance but if the City decided to not honor their contract with the Contractors then they would have to do that across the board. Which means including the Teachers and Paras who the majority of will not be teaching.

WigWag16

So if there's no answer by Sunday the latest.....do we collect
Unemployment so we don't miss a check?

Buzz

Quote from: WigWag16 on March 18, 2020, 01:28:17 PM
So if there's no answer by Sunday the latest.....do we collect
Unemployment so we don't miss a check?

I'd hold off on that. You don't want to claim and then get a paycheck.

Just got off the phone with Ernie and he also says to do nothing with unemployment at this time and we should have more information by the end of the week. Sit tight.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 18, 2020, 11:24:12 AM
So why wouldn't they do it after April 20th?

Nobody has said that they won't. Neither has anybody said that they will. No answer for that yet.

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 18, 2020, 11:24:12 AM
... if the City decided to not honor their contract with the Contractors then they would have to do that across the board. Which means including the Teachers and Paras who the majority of will not be teaching.

Apples to oranges. The teachers are paid directly by the city, we are not. Teachers get paid during the summer, we do not. The teachers have the UFT, have 1181.

OnTime

An Unemployment Insurance week runs Monday
through Sunday. Most people claim benefits on Sunday
for the week ending that day, BUT HAVE UNTIL THE FOLLOWING SATURDAY TO DO SO.

PROUD MEMBER

We went from thanking Michael for his quick work on securing 85% pay to April 20th and Medical benefits to hold on to the end of the week before we learn if we have to file for unemployment.
I understand about being patient but WTF. What has changed from Sunday to today?

PROUD MEMBER

I just called the Union Hall. The woman who answered the phone asked me how can I help you. I said I need to speak to someone to find out whether we are getting paid or not. She asked me what company I work for and I told her Pioneer. Without hesitation she said you are getting paid 85% to at least April 20th.

wheresmymoney!

LMR

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 18, 2020, 04:06:57 PM
I just called the Union Hall. The woman who answered the phone asked me how can I help you. I said I need to speak to someone to find out whether we are getting paid or not. She asked me what company I work for and I told her Pioneer. Without hesitation she said you are getting paid 85% to at least April 20th.

I think that's what I've been saying all along but I'm glad you're satisfied hearing it from her.

I think the real question is about after 4/20. We shall see.