It Ain't Over Yet

Started by Buzz, May 02, 2020, 02:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I know this will be of little consolation to people worrying about what to do for health insurance right now, but there is still hope.

The scuttled PEP meeting of this past Wednesday is rescheduled for Thursday, May 7, and school bus contracts are back on the agenda. Hopefully they'll stay there and hopefully they will be able to get the audio working with the shit software the DOE has them using. Guess they never heard of ZOOM.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep the faith.

Stay safe, stay well, my brothers and sisters.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
Can you look into if it's the SAME site and SAME phone # for this coming week if we want to listen in and/or comment. Either way same site & same # or not can you please post it here again.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on May 02, 2020, 10:50:44 AM
Buzz
Can you look into if it's the SAME site and SAME phone # for this coming week if we want to listen in and/or comment. Either way same site & same # or not can you please post it here again.

They have not posted that info yet but I will when they do.

fred

buzz do you know who is voting on this & whether or not the union believes it will be a favorable outcome

Buzz

Quote from: fred on May 02, 2020, 05:23:24 PM
buzz do you know who is voting on this & whether or not the union believes it will be a favorable outcome

The PEP ... Panel for Education Policy ... votes on all contracts over $1,000,000. They replace the old Board of Ed. 13 members, one appointed by each of the 5 borough presidents and 8 appointed by the mayor.

The union is doing everything humanly possible to get the contracts approved.

driver

Just a little confused..Didnt Neil sign a 7 year contract with the board of ed? So if the board of ed breaks the 7 year contract what happens in September? New bids????????

Hammer2161

Driver, as I have read what Buzz has posted and along with what has been said following some of the links I don't believe they are trying to break the contract. It appears they are trying to use a loop hole in the terminology of the contract as a way to not pay the contractors until we are needed again when the schools reopen. But I am also not sure that they are aware of what it will take to get the Bus companies up and running once they do reopen. All I know is it's a shitty situation but I believe it's in everyone's best interest to honor the contract for May and June and we can only hope for the best after that.

Buzz

Not being a lawyer, I'll refrain from commenting on the legalities involved.

PROUD MEMBER

All these years I was under the impression that you were not only a school bus driver but also an attorney. Now I have to start looking for another site.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on May 02, 2020, 10:41:51 PM
All these years I was under the impression that you were not only a school bus driver but also an attorney. Now I have to start looking for another site.

You're mistaken. It's doctor, not lawyer.

I'm wearing a mask and gloves.

Bend over.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

hognol

You've always had that proctologist look to me.

Buzz

Quote from: hognol on May 03, 2020, 03:02:27 AM
You've always had that proctologist look to me.

Actually, a lot people call me what a proctologist specializes in.  :rotfl:

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz
According to Michael's letter dated May 1st he states the Union had many Members ready to speak at last week's scheduled PEP meeting. Do you know or can you find out if he meant in person, over the phone, online and/or all three? If in person, does the same apply for this week? Where will it be? And can you sign up ahead of time to speak in person, so I don't go there and risk my health to find out I can't speak?

Buzz

Just like last week, phone or online. It's a video conference. There is no "in person." The panel members are in their homes. I guess you have to wait until 5:30 that day to register.

Buzz

*Thinking out loud*

I feel cautiously optimistic about Thursday's meeting, here's why: Since the strike, de Blasio has given 2 or 3 hundred million dollars to Reliant to keep them solvent. I don't think he wants them or any other bus company to go under. I think he would be very much in favor of paying the contractors.

So then ... he appoints 8 of the 13 PEP members, one of whom is the chancellor. If he is in favor of this, I'm sure he's made it known, and I doubt they would go against him. He put them there and he can remove them. He's done it before and they know it.

And I'm not at all sure that he doesn't have the authority to make the decision before it even gets to the panel, in which case this could conceivably be decided before Thursday. Might just be wishful thinking, but it's a possibility.

Just my opinion.

LMR

From your mouth to God's ears!🙏

Hammer2161

Keeping fingers crossed that all goes well. God knows a lot of our workers need the health benefits and it would benefit all of us in the end.  :))