DeBozo will not close schools

Started by rc1790, March 12, 2020, 11:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rc1790

Ohio and Maryland both closed all schools to slow the spread of the virus. Our wonderful leader says our schools cannot be closed because of child care and food. But he declared a State of emergency and said it may last 6 months. I guess the health of bus drivers and teachers are of no concern. I guess we are the only ones immune to catching a potentially deadly virus that has closed all major venues. Schools don't fall under the gathering of more than 500 people mandate.

Buzz

I hear ya', but I'm wondering how we would get paid if schools were closed. Salary? Unemployment? There has been no clear guidance on this yet.

If it's any consolation, of all the reported cases, less than 1% have been children under 10. Just sayin'.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

rc1790

The children are carriers. Supposedly they do not get serious symptoms because their lungs are still developing. The reasoning behind school closures is to protect against spreading the virus to adults.

Buzz

I understand what you're saying. But to be carriers they have to catch it, whether they have symptoms or not ... and that's 1%.

PROUD MEMBER

If public schools close for an extended period of time (which I doubt), pay is going to be a very touchy subject as we can see in Michael's video. As far as I can see by reading all of our contracts going back for the last 4 or 5 of them up to the current one it says we are guaranteed 39 weeks. It doesn't say (or at least I didn't see it) anything about not getting paid in any circumstances. If the schools close we will have to wait and see. Also, I don't know what Neil and the other contractors's contract with the City says but I'm sure that there going to fight to get paid!

rc1790

Buzz, I am not a web MD. LOL (Just relaying what some doctors on TV were saying about closing schools to reduce community spread) My post was in regards to school closures in many other states..

Buzz

Quote from: rc1790 on March 13, 2020, 01:31:04 AM
Buzz, I am not a web MD. LOL (Just relaying what some doctors on TV were saying about closing schools to reduce community spread) My post was in regards to school closures in many other states..

Oh, I understand. I'm thinking if it did happen it would be on a school-by-school basis if the need arises rather than system-wide, but that's just my opinion. Even then I don't think it would be for an extended length of time ... maybe a couple of days to disinfect the joint.

I'm not bat-shit crazy over this virus thing, but I'm not downplaying it either. I passed the West Shore Motel earlier and even the hookers were wearing face masks!   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gary 209

Great Move DeBozo Mayor! Let's let the horse out of the barn, because you have No balls! Even in your own words today "we have close to a 100 cases and by next week we will have over 1000".

PROUD MEMBER

It appears it's just a matter of time before public schools are closed. When it happens it could be for two days, two weeks or two months. According to Michael's video he says that if the schools do close "some" contracts say that we might get paid for a couple days or a week but the worst case is we will get unemployment. Obviously this is a new circumstance but we have Reps, attorneys and most importantly we have a contract. I'm not a Rep and I'm not an attorney but it's plain and simple - read the contract and tell us if we're getting paid or not? If not, tell us why not. I'm sure Neil & his attorneys and the Teachers Union already know if they're going to get paid. I'm asking Michael and my Reps right now for the answer! Don't wait until it happens! Also and I'm not looking to stir up trouble but I'd assume the Board already knows if they're getting paid!

Buzz

I would think that if the company gets paid then we have to get paid ... even if it's the snow day rate.

This is an unprecedented situation so I can understand there not being a protocol in place and no fast answers. Be patient.

PROUD MEMBER

I understand what you say if they get paid we get paid BUT ... Their contract with the City has nothing to do with Our contract with them. I am patient but at the same time this question has to have been known for weeks and in my opinion we should already have an answer. Also let's not forget a few things.

1. It's not snowing!
2. 39 guaranteed weeks!
3. It's not July & August so if for some reason we don't get paid and schools close tomorrow for an extended period of time after 30 days or starting the first day of April do we lose our Medical?

Obviously the most important thing is everyone's health but let's not kid ourselves. If the Mayor closed schools at 3:00pm tomorrow at 3:01pm tomorrow the overwhelming majority of the Membership will be asking what I'm asking. We should have an answer now before the schools close because they will close!

hideout

What is wrong with this picture? The Los Angeles and Chicago school's system has now announced closing. These are two big large school systems. Keeping the schools open only raises the risk of drivers. matrons, teachers, ect. of getting this virus and bringing it home to our families. How about the kids bringing it home to thier families, grandparents. We all know that the elderly are at higher risk. We also know that a lot of our drivers are elderly and have underlying health conditions. Who is looking out for us? For the teachers? For other school Employees? Our families? I hear crickets from Pioneer, crickets from th union, and unwillingness from the city because the children have to eat and know where to go. Don't they feed them in the summer when schools are closed anyway. They won't be happy until drivers, matrons, teachers, parents,grandparents, siblings start to get sick. Only then, when it is to late, will they act. Hopefully. in the meantime. none of us will die, as a result of their stupidity.

yabba

he has to get paid .... his contract has to be paid,if he doesnt he is out of business... this could drag out for months and as a business man spending money on equipment he has to be gauranteed....now im sure he will try to get away with not paying us..  this could be disasterous for us and our local... lets hope he keeps the school open and wash your hands and becareful

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on March 15, 2020, 12:39:52 PM
I understand what you say if they get paid we get paid BUT ... Their contract with the City has nothing to do with Our contract with them. I am patient but at the same time this question has to have been known for weeks and in my opinion we should already have an answer. Also let's not forget a few things.

1. It's not snowing!
2. 39 guaranteed weeks!
3. It's not July & August so if for some reason we don't get paid and schools close tomorrow for an extended period of time after 30 days or starting the first day of April do we lose our Medical?

Obviously the most important thing is everyone's health but let's not kid ourselves. If the Mayor closed schools at 3:00pm tomorrow at 3:01pm tomorrow the overwhelming majority of the Membership will be asking what I'm asking. We should have an answer now before the schools close because they will close!

I'd almost be willing to bet that you've already contacted a certain union delegate with your questions.

So ... what's the answer? 

rc1790

Your health is the main concern. We will get paid, whether it's Federal, State or our contract. It's different than our strike situation. Just focus on limiting exposure to yourself and your family.