Reopening Target Date Sept. 10

Started by Buzz, July 02, 2020, 05:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

It's looking more and more like the city is making every attempt to open schools in the fall according to an article in today's Advance. They just have to figure out the best way to do it.

Excerpts from the article:

"During a press conference on Friday, Mayor Bill de Blasio said New York City has a massive number of overcrowded buildings, and there will be tough decisions when it comes to safely returning kids to school in the fall.

De Blasio echoed the words of Chancellor Richard A. Carranza, who said in a memo to school leaders earlier this month that the DOE is considering different options when it comes to returning to school in the fall. That includes phased start dates, split student schedules, and a blend of both in-person and remote learning.

The mayor said during his Friday press conference that the city wants as many kids in their classroom as possible on Sept. 10 -- which is the possible first day of school for the 2020-2021 school year."

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2020/07/will-nyc-school-space-concerns-mean-split-schedules-come-fall.html
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WigWag16

Sad part is they have had 6 months and there isn't a plan at all put in place.
Hopefully by the end of July they have a plan besides every school figured out how many can fit in your building safely lol

Buzz

I'm more concerned with how many they can fit in a bus safely.  :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

WigWag16

Quote from: Buzz on July 02, 2020, 06:31:09 PM
I'm more concerned with how many they can fit in a bus safely.  :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
Well judging from the proposals 1181 is sending in they want a kid to every other seat by the window so what 11-15? Which means multiple trips for one run. So if you have three schools in the afternoon you're gonna have a long day lol

driver

Too bad we dont do camp or daycare runs....I've seen Vinnys & other buses around the island picking kids up with masks on & full buses..

OMG

If there's no barrier like plexiglass between me and the kids, I'd be very hesitant to return to work. I will not feel very safe because the masks and gloves on not 100%.

steady

I had a feeling this post would happen following the mayors announcement.  We should only focus on what Cuomo says.  Last Sunday on meet the press he stated that due to the spike throughout the nation it doesn't look good on reopening schools in September.  As far as our protection in buses you can not count on any alterations on school buses. I feel we have run out of time as it stands.
We probably will be handed gloves, eye shields and masks. 

OMG

Transit has barriers, it's 1181 job to make sure it gets done

WigWag16

Quote from: OMG on July 03, 2020, 02:54:45 PM
Transit has barriers, it's 1181 job to make sure it gets done

I'm ready to get back to to work ASAP BUT....

1) We should have a Plexiglass separating us from
The students, not a plastic curtain because that will
Be on the defect line within weeks multiple times.
2) Given the circumstances.....General Ed NEEDs matrons on the bus. We are drivers and already had to have eyes in the back of our heads while driving, now we have to make sure they are practicing social distance/wearing their masks and take their temperatures. A matron should now be on the bus for those extra reasons. The matrons and schools should be taking temperature checks not the drivers.
3) We need a plan, it can't be sprung on us last minute.

OMG

Well said WW, Everything proposed should be met! But pay me my opt out and my accrual first!

Hammer2161

Although I agree with most everything the union wants in place before we can go back to work possibly in September I must say the chance of having a matron on every bus is going to be almost impossible. The companies have tried in vain to get drivers getting matrons will be even harder. Just in our site alone at Arthur Kill we would need 300 or so new matrons. Let's not forget they that they are not paid incredibly well either yet you would ask they be the first line of defense between us and the students. That letter is somewhat of a wish list and although I hope we get it all I truly don't see that happening. Going to be a very interesting next 9 or 10 weeks for sure.

yabba

i agree with all of these proposals...lets look at reality... who is going to pay for 300 plus new marons...city is broke and looking at 22,000 layoffs...where we getting the drivers to cover the many guys who have retired because of this ,let alone the amount of driver we have been missing for the past few years... and  not 1 interview or article in the media has mentioned transportation,kind of scary... and yes we are owed $$$$ too.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

steady

As I stated in my post. Don't count on anything being done in time if school starts in Sept. Their is no set plan agreed to as of yet to modify thousands of school buses.  2 months to go, forget it.  Unless you all have the confidence in the bureaucracy that I don't.  Neil certainly will not lay out the expense.  The city would have to approve pass and allocate funds to do modifications lol.  Forget it

Buzz

steady

I'm going to throw another thought to our members.  We have a no child left behind law. Do you believe the parents will follow the guidelines that the BOE might set in place on how many students will go to school each day.  It could happen that parents will break the rules and you might find some students showing up each and every day not following the reduced attendance.