Here's what we could do

Started by Buzz, December 14, 2011, 04:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Yesterday, when I advised 1200 that buses waiting to get into the yard for the inspection were backing up traffic to Bloomingdale Road, the response was a rhetorical (if not flippant), "What would you like us to do."

Well, sitting in the traffic jam I couldn't see what was happening in the yard and couldn't offer a suggestion at the time. When I got to the yard I saw a ring of buses, 2 abreast, around the perimeter of the yard.

You can't fit a lot of buses in with just one double ring of buses ...maybe 40 or 50. As long as the pattern was started, it would seem the thing to do would be to start a second "inner" ring of buses, 2-by-2, which would feed into the outer ring in a spiral fashion as buses advanced.

However, giving it a little thought, I think I came up with a plan that will fit MANY more buses, allow for maneuverability around the yard and be very easily managed:

1) Buses pull in the main gate AND the fuel driveway and drive straight to the back of the yard and remain facing the back of the yard.
     (There can be at least 6 rows with at least 20 buses in each row.) This is the "Holding Area" in the photo below.
2) As the "Staging Area" buses advance to the "Inspection Area," buses from the first row (i.e. nearest the back of the yard) advance to the Staging Area.
3) All the other buses in the Holding Area advance one row and the pattern continues.
4) Buses returning to the yard for other reasons would park ONLY in the front of the yard or along the side fences in the main part of the yard.

This could be done with 2 or 3 yard men or shop personnel to line up the first row (back-most row) and to give the signal to advance to the Staging and Inspection Areas. As is, 155 buses could be accommodated, more if necessary, but it is unlikely.

Does this not seem like a practical solution to anybody? I'd appreciate your constructive criticism.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Goose623

Thats way to easy for them to understand.

Grrr

It's stuff like this that when Buono retired, I begged and pleaded with Neil to pick you for GM.

Fed Up

is the office going to implement this plan when we return our D.O.T. cards :crazy:

Buzz

Quote from: Fed Up on February 14, 2012, 02:40:26 PM
is the office going to implement this plan when we return our D.O.T. cards :crazy:

Only works when HALF the buses have to come back at the same time. Nothing works when ALL the buses (including Sharrott's) have to come back!

It's not a job ... it's an adventure!  :rotfl:

terminator

Buzz...we always wonder why ..YOU have to come up with ideas.
Shouldnt the guy saying 'what do you want us to do?' have a better response?
Shouldnt someone in the OFFICE fix this ONGOING problem..its nothing new.
One day somone will call the cops and they will start giving tickets for blocking traffic!
Amazing

Buzz

Quote from: terminator on February 15, 2012, 05:43:33 PMOne day somone will call the cops and they will start giving tickets for blocking traffic!
I said to somebody else yesterday that I'm surprised other motorists haven't already done that when we've have yard inspections.

But handing in our monthly sheets in this way is not something that is mandated by OPT. Wouldn't it make more sense to hand them in the way we always have and Garbiella go through them and call back only the few people who can't do simple paperwork correctly the next day? (No name or run number? No problem ... if you know who DID hand them in, you know who DIDN'T.) I mean, what is the objective here ... just to be punitive to as many drivers as possible for the sins of a few, no matter how impractical? As one driver put it, it's like using an Atom Bomb to kill a fly.

GMC JOE

Agree BUZZ that makes sense . Has the office taken that into consideration ? :crazy: :crazy:
In God We Trust

Buzz

Quote from: GMC JOE on February 19, 2012, 12:13:19 PM
Agree BUZZ that makes sense . Has the office taken that into consideration ?

Don't know, but I doubt it.

Yankees15

I understand that  you can pre  order your line spot to get to see Gabriella every month  ;D to turn in your paperwork , but you must be an American express card member