EPP

Started by PROUD MEMBER, January 05, 2015, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Now that the New Year is here and time is running out on the EPP it is time for each and every member to start writing, calling and emailing the Governor, Mayor, Councilmembers and any & all other Elected Officials. If not we the fortunate (eventhough we have already taken cuts but at least are still working) will find ourselves in an even worst position come the end of this school year. Without an EPP the majority of us that are still working will face even more substantial cuts or jobless like thousands of our Brothers & Sisters. That's besides what will happen to our Pensions & Medical Benefits. For those of you who think it is a waste of time, THINK AGAIN. Think of how you felt when you were walking that picket line, think of how you felt when you were forced to work under that "Best & Final Offer and most importantly think of the thousands of Members that have lost their jobs in the last two years. The idea of a Union is to stand together and voice your opinion for the Good of yourself, your family and your Brothers & Sisters. Members will go on this & other sites or in person and wish everyone a Happy & Healthy & Prosperous New Year! Unfortunately I can guarantee without an EPP for the majority of us this New Year will be Sad & Sickly & Broke! Don't waste any more time because time is one thing we do not have. Our Union Reps can use all the help they can get. Start writing TODAY!!!

yabba

don't have too much hope in this mayor,it seems we are on the back burner again...I did write though it cant hurt but this mayor is a mess....hope he does something permanent for us cause it looks like a 1 term diblasio if he makes 3 more years

PROUD MEMBER

Yabba
I'm happy to see someone respond about the EPP. I just hope others will follow us in writing to ALL our Officials especially the Mayor. It seems that many wait until the "Shit hits the fan" before they get motivated. Unfortunately this time around if we wait until the "Shit hits the fan" it will be to LATE. As you said "It can't hurt"!!

PROUD MEMBER

FYI  FOR THOSE WHO DON'T BELIEVE YOUR PERSONAL VOICE MAY NOT HELP

The Amalgamated Transit Union
The Amalgamated Transit Union | AFL-CIO/CLC
LOCAL UNIONS

ATU CANADA

ATU STORE

MEDIA CENTER
SHAREEMAIL
PRINTFONT:
MEDIA CENTER » NEWS ARTICLES » DC driver reveals poverty, poor conditions caused by paratransit privatization, brings Mayor to tears
JAN
DC DRIVER REVEALS POVERTY, POOR CONDITIONS CAUSED BY PARATRANSIT PRIVATIZATION, BRINGS MAYOR TO TEARS
Testimony Marks Turning Point in DC-Area Campaign
In a heart-wrenching and passionate testimony a Washington, DC, Metro Access paratransit operator gave new Washington, DC mayor Muriel Bowser and hundreds of DC residents and workers a first-hand look at the grim impact that transit outsourcing has on working families in the region.
Speaking on a January evening to a packed house at St. Augustine Catholic Church, Operator Karen Reed brought tears to Mayor Bowser's eyes as she described the financial struggle she endures as an employee of a private, for-profit company contracted by WMATA (DC's transit agency) to provide paratransit service. Reed was one of several speakers at a Washington Interfaith Network (WIN) forum on public services held for Mayor Bowser.
Attended by members of ATU Local 689, International President Larry Hanley, and the ATU General Executive Board, the emotional event marks the next phase of Local 689's campaign to fight outsourcing of transit services, to strengthen transit investment in local communities, and to unionize and raise the wages of area transit workers, who for far too long have been treated as second class citizens. Through their involvement with WIN, 689 has been building alliances with congregations, riders and other community and labor allies to broaden their support.       
"Karen's story is the story of thousands of workers in the DC area. It brought the whole room to tears, including Mayor Bowser," said ATU International President Larry Hanley.
The power and emotion of Reed's story hit home for many as she spoke about the importance of her connection with riders and the grim reality of the dangers she and her co-workers face every day.
'Disposable people'
"It would be a smoother ride for everybody if WMATA and First Transit would stop cutting corners and stop treating me and my fellow workers like disposable people," said Reed, who emphasized the importance of her job in transporting people with disabilities and seniors. "Employee turnover is through the roof and customer service suffers."
She was joined on stage by Barbara Mushette, one of her passengers, who praised Reed's dedication to the job and questioned the scheduling policies of First Transit and its treatment of workers and passengers alike.
Paid only $26,000 per year
Reed talked about the importance of her connection with riders and the accompanying dangers she and her co-workers face every day, from dangerous road conditions to robberies. Reed is dedicated to her work, but is paid only $26,000 per year (less than 30% of area median income), which qualifies her and her daughter for food stamps, housing assistance, and Medicaid. She and her daughter were homeless for three months last year. 
"You are going to pay me either way. In my public benefits check – or my paycheck," she explained in relating her need for public assistance to survive. "I enjoy working for a living.  Stop insulting me.  Pay me in just one check – MY PAY CHECK!"
Hanley said the new Mayor has an opportunity to stand with working Washingtonians, and ATU will work hard to get our message out across the city. "The mayor's actions in the weeks and months ahead will tell us if she really heard Karen. In the meantime, we're going to make sure that everyone in the Wilson Building hears what working families like Karen's are going through each and every day."

MORE NEWS ARTICLES
JAN
Transit Unions: Buses Matter Too; MTA Plan Needs Improvement
JAN
Phoenix transit workers threaten Super Bowl strike
JAN
Boxer to GOP: Focus on highway bill, not Keystone
JAN
NJ officials join ATU in blasting PATH service cuts
MORE IN MEDIA CENTER
· NEWS ARTICLES
· RELEASES
· IN TRANSIT
· PHOTOS AND VIDEOS
· PRESS CONTACTS

UNITED STATESCANADA
ENLARGE MAP

COPYRIGHT © 2015 AMALGAMATED TRANSIT UNION SITE BY TRILOGY ATU wins ILCA labor media awards

PROUD MEMBER

JUST EMAILED TWO MORE LETTERS TO THE GOVERNOR & MAYOR WITH REGARDS TO OUR STRUGGLES AND THE EPP!!!! Have a nice weekend!!!!