Promising E-mail from Mike Reilly

Started by Buzz, March 03, 2011, 03:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Mike Reilly is the Co-Chair of the Community Education Council (CEC) Transportation & Safety Committee. I received this e-mail from him today ... he's really been busy in Albany, not limited just to the issue of parents providing their own transportation. Read on ...

Hi Buzz

Below is some issues and resolutions that were discussed concerning transportation and overall education. I will keep you informed of any further information I receive

Thanks
Mike

Hello everyone,

Today I went to Albany with the S.I. Federation of PTA's for Lobby Day. I was able to meet with Senator Lanza and Assembly Members Cusick, Titone, Tobacco, and Malliotakis. They were very receptive and responsive to our needs in District 31.

Below is a list of topics discussed and the action proposed by our representatives:

1) The DoE's proposal to pay special education parents for transporting their children to school in order to offset transportation cost.

I explained how this would create even more hazardous traffic conditions in the vicinity of our schools. It also would violate NYS Education Law which mandates a school district to provide Yellow Bus Transportation for Special Education students. All our representatives suggested that they would advocate to stop the DoE's proposal.

2) Child Safety Zones Authorized for City School Boards with a Populations above 1 million people to provide Yellow School Bus Service to otherwise non-eligible students. (to include the lack of adequate public transportation as one criteria (proposed at Legislative Forum at Petrides on 2/11/11)

Senator Lanza introduced Bill # S3521 on 2/24/11 - which will authorize the NYC DoE to designate certain areas of NYC (Staten Island and Queens) as Child Safety Zones and provide yellow bus service.

3) Cameras on Special Education Buses (discussed at S.I. Federation of PTA's Legislative Forum at Petrides on 2/11/11)

Assemblyman Cusick will be introducing legislation in the coming weeks to require school districts to install on board cameras on school buses that transport special education/special needs students as a means to protect student and driver/matron safety.

4) Traffic Cameras on Stop Arms of School Buses to deter vehicles from overtaking buses loading and discharging students.

Assembly Bill # A4416 was reintroduced by Assemblyman Rivera (Bronx) - The entire Staten Island NYS Assembly Delegation has signed on to as Co-Sponsors of this legislation. I asked Senator Lanza to consider drafting a same as bill in the NYS Senate, which he will do.

5) Last In First Out -- Legislation Senate Bill # S3501b.  It passed out of committee, but they promised it will be revised.

(Strictly my opinion)  I read the bill and believe that it has potential. There are as many good points as flawed ones. Some key points that I consider acceptable as first line layoffs:
a) teachers convicted of a criminal offense
b) teachers who have SUBSTANTIATED rulings by The Office of Special Investigations for serious issues (not just accused) 
c) teachers who have a high amount of unexcused absences or tardiness (time frame to be determined in final bill)
d) teachers who have failed to obtain proper certifications

Not Acceptable
a) Teachers who receive a U rating within the last 5 years. (too arbitrary)
b) 4th - 8th grade Teachers who's students score in the bottom 30% of the system on NYS State Exams.
c) All special education teachers EXEMPT from Layoffs.

6) A New Dorp H.S student explained the following : In January High School Regents exams were canceled because of the last snowstorm. No make up exam date scheduled. The students would have to wait to take the Regents exam in June and those students who were eligible to graduate in January with a Regents Diploma had to accept a Local Diploma if they wanted to graduate in January with the option to return in June and take the Regents.

Senator Lanza took the student's suggestion to require a make up Regents exam within 15 days of a canceled exam. He will be drafting legislation to prevent such an incident in the future.

Talk to you soon,

Mike Reilly
Community Education Council 31

As you can see, Mike is certainly not one to let grass grow under his feet. He is a great advocate for the kids, schools and support services, not the least of which are us. Thanks for your efforts, Mike.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.