Reds & Yellows

Started by PROUD MEMBER, December 22, 2015, 03:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

I've asked this question before and I have to ask it again until I get the answer that I think is 100% correct. This morning a driver calls in and says at his 2nd stop his Reds & Yellows are not working. What should I do, I have 5 more stops before the school? After a couple of radio transmissions with the dispatcher and a phone call to the shop he is told to finish his AM run and bring the bus back. So apparently as far as the office goes it is okay to pick up and drop off children without your Reds working sometimes but on other occasions it's not. Like when they say what is your location we're going to send you a bus. Last year I asked Ernie about this and he told me to do what the office says. I would have to assume just as it is State Law to not pass a School Bus with flashing reds that there is probably some BOE, OPT, STATE, CITY or Company law or rule that says a School Bus Driver has to use his Reds. This morning during that driver's last 5 Stops if a child got hit and injured or even worse by a car then what happens? Besides the question, Is the driver liable more importantly what do we tell the parents and the community? And if it was worse we can never bring that child back! So my question is Can I face disciplinary  actions for not driving the bus with the Reds not working even if I am told to by the Office?

Buzz

That's like trying to get an answer to the question, "What should I do if kids are fighting?"

As far as the school lights, I can only tell you what I would do: If I were sure I had NO kids crossing to get to/from the bus, I would continue with the run. If I know kids are going to cross, I would ask myself 2 questions:

1) "Will the office back me up if I followed their instructions and a kid got injured (or worse)?"

2) Even if the answer to the above question is "Yes," I would ask myself, "In the event of an injury (or worse), does the office giving me permission absolve me of any personal liability?" I'm not a lawyer, but I'm willing to bet the answer to that question is "NO!"

For as long as I've been here the use of common sense is usually discouraged. Sometimes you just have to resort to that.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WakeUp123

Listen to me, if your YELLOW OR RED LIGHTS are not working and you still have stops to make do not make anymore pick ups regardless of what the office or Buzz says. God forbid if a child gets hit by a car or 'God forbid" killed by another vehicle while trying to get to the bus you, and you alone will be crimminaly and civilly responsible not to mention have to live with that for the rest of your life because the office didn't want to send another bus or a mechanic to fix it.

There are NO  repercussions to worry about I'm sure the union will back you and every other driver up on this one and if (not) I'm positive OPT and THE MEDIA will.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, WRITE YOUR BUS UP FOR EVERY DEFECT . DONT WOORY ABOUT NEIL, THE OFFICE OR THE MECHANICS, THEY SURE AS HELL ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT US.

PROUD MEMBER

WakeUp123
I agree with you 100% about not doing anymore stops. I also agree with you as far as the Media & OPT backing us. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about the Union backing you. Hypothetical, my Reds don't work, I call it in, I'm told to finish run, I say no! The next day I'm in the Office facing disciplinary action for not following the dispatcher's order. Is the Union gonna MAKE SURE I don't lose a day or week. I don't know about that, they may go through the motions but to guarantee I am not disciplined might be a problem. Bottom line is I should not even have to ask this question and the company should not expect me to roll without Reds and it should be written in black-and-white!

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on December 23, 2015, 07:36:09 PM
Hypothetical, my Reds don't work, I call it in, I'm told to finish run, I say no! The next day I'm in the Office facing disciplinary action for not following the dispatcher's order.

Better that than facing a judge. I'm pretty sure the union would back you 100% and even go to arbitration ... if it came to that.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

WakeUp123

But Buzz you still would continue with your run? Again plays both ends from the middle.