Vote for Change

Started by Stugots, May 22, 2011, 03:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Quote from: faceit on May 23, 2011, 02:38:26 PM
Dont compare nyc to the rest of the country, there is more money here then the rest of the country, everybody makes more here.the rest of the country dont pay the taxes we do...

Actually, Philly pays a much higher rate of state and local taxes than NYC. We're number 16 on that list. ( http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/10/pf/taxes/city_tax_rates/index.htm ) And in between Philly and us is Jackson, Mississippi. What do you suppose First Student pays school bus drivers in Jackson? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that it's no where near our hourly rate, and it is certainly a part-time job there.

So, if you choose to be a school bus driver in Jackson, I'd imagine it's going to be pretty hard to make ends meet. I don't think most people are going to be able to afford everything they need or want if they choose to drive a school bus in Jackson. Labor is like any other commodity ... supply and demand. Any given job can only demand so much of a salary. Wouldn't you agree?

Therefore, if a good ol' boy in Jackson chooses to be a school bus driver, he shouldn't expect to be able to afford the same things as a teacher, lawyer or brain surgeon. Should he? If being a school bus driver isn't going to meet his monetary requirements, then it's not the fault of the job, the employer or the union. The fault lies squarely with the choice he made. If he had the education and qualifications to get a better job then he should have choosen a different career path. If he can't meet the prerequisites for getting a higher-paying job, he should be thankful for what he does have, and not look to blame everybody else but himself for his lot in life and the choices he made along the way.

Sure glad I don't live in Jackson. Aren't you?

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

I don't mind guys like Stugots and faceit posting their views and actually trying to make a point. But some others who write nothing of substance and take advantage of the platform I've given them here with snide, one line comments and personal attacks, only exemplify their mindset of entitlement as if I or anyone else owe them anything. I'd like to remind them that one of the benefits they have through the union they hate so much is free eye glasses, and invite them to take this eye test to see if they might need a new prescription. If you can't make it through the last line, you do ...

faceit

remember this Buzz I'm all union all the time..I only want the best for my brothers and sisters of 1181..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Buzz

Quote from: faceit on May 23, 2011, 07:19:59 PM
remember this Buzz I'm all union all the time..I only want the best for my brothers and sisters of 1181..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

10-4, as do I. And when there's none better off in the entire country, then I believe we already have the best.

(And that's why it would be wise not to make one too many trips to the well.  :wink1: )