What About the Drivers Room?

Started by Buzz, July 06, 2020, 10:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

While there's been a lot of discussion as to how we can be safe on the bus, what about the drivers room? I'm pretty sure we won't be able to congregate in there ... and who would want to ... but even going in to get our cards can create a clusterfuck that would make staying 6 feet apart impossible.

They could just give everybody a supply of cards and we could fill in the run numbers and dates ourselves, but then they would not be able to check the rack to see if any runs did not go out.

Or, they could keep all the cards in ta stack in the office and one of the office personnel could hand us our cards from one of the outside windows.

I'm also thinking they could build a six or 8 foot long "hallway" outside the drivers with just a roof and 2 sides (open at both ends) and have the rack in there ... enter on one end and come out the other, one person at a time ... but then, what about using the bathrooms?

Any ideas?
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

Obviously being professional drivers does not make us less susceptible to the virus itself. By me stating that we are professional drivers I was trying to get the point across that we all have brains & common sense that will help us to protect ourselves from catching the virus. As far as the driver's room goes I'm sure measures are already being taken. Again here's where common sense comes in.
You wear a mask and gloves.
You go in and get ur card and get out.
Unfortunately for those of us that don't have a place to go during the AM & PM runs we will have to figure it out.
We're out of work and the longer we're out the more chance of not having a job to go back to at all becomes more realistic. Unemployment is running out. Even though understandable (due to the virus) I see many are looking for reasons not to go back to work and if that happens then we will change our tune.

Bottom line ... Remember no matter what precautions taken or not taken the DOE is not going to put children (whether it's 11, 22 or 66) on the bus if they do not think it is safe. If they deem it safe for the children then it should be safe for us.
When schools reopen we need to work (at least I do) and on top of any safety measures that the Union, DOE and Pioneer put or don't put in place if each of us work as Professional as we've been saying we are since the Strike and we use common sense to be safe then we will be safe!

GMC JOE

Not to worry Buzz the computer on the bus will take care of roll call  :crazy:
In God We Trust

Buzz

Quote from: GMC JOE on July 06, 2020, 10:05:32 PM
Not to worry Buzz the computer on the bus will take care of roll call  :crazy:

Yeah ... that'll happen.  ;D ;D ;D

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on July 06, 2020, 11:22:08 AM
... we use common sense to be safe then we will be safe!

The thing is, your safety is also dependent on the common sense of others. It's a commodity that's in short supply nowadays.

hideout

I predict that we are considered the bottom of the food chain and as a result will have the least done as far as safety concerns. Also what ever rules are put in place who will be enforcing those rules. Example, if a student has to wear a mask before boarding the school bus and doesn't have one who will enforce that? If it's the driver I can see the arguments with parents. What if the child is alone at the stop and doesn't have a mask then what? Are the drivers going to be carrying extra masks for those who don't have them? If so will the driver be required to help them put it on? So many question and scenarios which will not be addressed until we start working again. Thing is it will put us, the drivers, at greater risk. Like I said the bottom of the food chain.

Hammer2161

You know I understand many if not all of the concerns being put out there but lets face it we are adults. We are not at the bottom of the food chain nor are we being ignored as for our concerns. It seems everyone likes to put the cart before the horse instead of thinking positive. As adults we are responsible for making sure the situation is safe for us when we go back to work. As drivers and as adults we need to realize the job will possibly never be the job it was before. But many if not all of us need to work otherwise why would we be here. The drivers room should be the simplest of solutions wear your masks and gloves go in get your card and whatever other business you have done and leave. No need to hang around and linger I know I wont be. Again we are ADULTS so lets try to act that way. We have for the most part been able to keep ourselves safe from covid so far so just continue what it is you have been doing and hopefully it will be enough. I am hopeful that the DOE and Pioneer will get us what we need to keep us safe but I will also prepare myself so I know I am doing the best I can to keep myself and my family safe. Simple fact is we need to go back to work and we should all hopefully be prepared to do so. Lets try to be pro-active instead of negative Nellies.

PROUD MEMBER

I agree with Hammer 100%. When it's time to go back to work we do what we're told and we use our common sense. If you still don't feel safe (which is understandable) then retire if you can. If you can't then find a job where you feel safe. Honestly there is nothing else to say.

Buzz

Yeah, I'm thinking the easiest solution (cheapest) would be to take all the furniture out of the drivers room, make it in the front door and out the back. Take card and go. (Maybe they'll have to put arrows on the floor like supermarkets because some people won't get it.  ;D

hideout

Has nothing to do with retiring. It has to do with being treated on par with any other employee that is part of the school system in figuring out how to keep us all safe. I hope that the powers at hand will put just as much effort in keeping us safe as they will the teachers and students. Heck how many times do we write up a student for disrupting the bus and nothing ever gets done. My point being that that is the system we work in. And that is only one example there are many more. We  seem to be the last to receive help most of the time. Again it is not about retiring if you don't like it but about working and being treated as fairly as everyone else. Just treat us with the respect we deserve just like anyone else.

Buzz

Quote from: Buzz on July 08, 2020, 05:20:42 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking the easiest solution (cheapest) would be to take all the furniture out of the drivers room, make it in the front door and out the back. Take card and go. (Maybe they'll have to put arrows on the floor like supermarkets because some people won't get it.  ;D

Turns out, I'm learning, this is exactly what they're doing, among other changes. (Not sure about the arrows, though ... LOL.)