Can N.Y.C. Schools Open on Time? De Blasio Is Under Pressure to Delay

Started by WigWag, August 18, 2020, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

40,000 more have opted for 100% remote learning.

"Parents who want to opt out of that hybrid instruction model can do so at any time and their number is expected to rise in the coming weeks."

I think they're right about that.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/17/remote-only-school-requests-jump-by-40000-in-one-week/
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Hammer2161

From what I am reading Dumblasio is getting enormous pressure from many different outlets to delay in classroom learning. The DOE has seemingly failed to correct many existing problems that would in no way put us in compliance with any of the safety protocols needed to reopen. I truly do not understand how we are currently in no better shape to welcome the kids back to school then we were when they decided to close them. It appears nothing has been done to correct the ventilation problems nor have they done anything to disinfect the schools and classrooms themselves. The powers that be once again seem to be failing the children and the workers who so badly want and need to get back to work and to some sort of normalcy in our lives. Thanks once again Dumblasio for allowing your ego to prevent you from doing what is right for all of us.

yabba

if this doesnt happen on sept 10th... i think we will be looking at sept. 2021,and at that point we will probably have nothing left... hopefully we will have a vaccine in january,but the teachers will cry they scared to get the vaccine... UFT has an annoucement at 11AM today....we have to give UFT credit they fight and are strong,its  not good for us though..

WigWag16

Quote from: yabba on August 19, 2020, 03:12:06 PM
if this doesnt happen on sept 10th... i think we will be looking at sept. 2021,and at that point we will probably have nothing left... hopefully we will have a vaccine in january,but the teachers will cry they scared to get the vaccine... UFT has an annoucement at 11AM today....we have to give UFT credit they fight and are strong,its  not good for us though..

The vaccine theory makes no sense...all it will do is put people's minds at ease. We have flu and other virus vaccines and people still die and get sick from the flu sooooo what will this vaccine do? Lol people are gonna get sick just gotta deal with it without shutting everything down. Again it's easy for all of them to say close things down non of them had to deal with the stupidity of unemployment the last 6 months and look for benefits. It's like they are saying well we are protected eh school drivers screw them. It's pathetic because they don't know the struggle.

WigWag16

And I'm sorry did people forget up until the last week we were driving packed buses to and from school, TO AND FROM school trips. Teachers taught in packed class rooms. All done with no masks or social distancing......people tend to forget

yabba

Quote from: WigWag16 on August 19, 2020, 04:06:59 PM

And I'm sorry did people forget up until the last week we were driving packed buses to and from school, TO AND FROM school trips. Teachers taught in packed class rooms. All done with no masks or social distancing......people tend to forget
this is true... i dont know where all this will lead,i hope my feelings are wrong..

Hammer2161

Yes we did drive packed school buses back and forth to school and on school trips up until the very last day. But does that mean we should have a blatant disregard for potentially human life ?  And before you answer that question take the time to think how you might feel should a rush to get the schools open unfortunately affect someone very close to you and your family. We would all love for the reopening of schools to go off without a hitch but I am pretty sure most of us know that's not a reality. Our Mayor and the BOE have unfortunately failed the students faculty bus drivers and everyone else involved in the everyday operations of schools once again. They have failed to meet most if any of the guidelines put in place to reopen the schools. Cuomo was smart he put the guidelines in place said ok and now has left it to Dumblasio to make the final decision. So that Cuomo assumes no risk this is ridiculous. We want to work and thanks to the inadequacies of the people in power unfortunately we may not be able. THIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS !!!!

Buzz

It's amazing that Pelosi called the House back in session to address the Post Office situation, but they all went on vacation without giving a shit about taking care of people without jobs.

Mail-in ballots are more important than people who are struggling, I guess.

Buzz

Quote from: Hammer2161 on August 19, 2020, 02:03:04 PM
It appears nothing has been done to correct the ventilation problems nor have they done anything to disinfect the schools and classrooms themselves.

If anything in this video is true, it would seem to dispute what you're saying ... but who knows?

I don't understand about the ventilation. What schools have central air? They have windows ... just like the bus, but theirs are a lot bigger.

Hammer2161

Looks good but is it just a publicity stunt put out there by Dumblasio ?  Listen I want to get back to work as much as the rest of us do but unfortunately we know all to well we can not trust either the Mayor or the BOE. I truly can not phantom what the hell they have been doing for the past 5 months. It's a total and utter disgrace.

Hammer2161

Well it looks like the UFT is preparing not to go back on the 10th after their announcement just a short time ago. They want every child and adult to submit to a covid test and show proof of negativity before they can be permitted into the schools. Does that me we will all have to be tested as well ?  Their still complaining that schools have inadequate ventilation and they want all schools to be adequately equipped with PPE supplies. Along with a covid tracing team in place at every school. Seems like a lot to get accomplished in 22 days when they have gotten almost nothing accomplished since March. My wife works at CSI College and in a matter of 2 days they went from a mere 6 percent of the college returning for labs to no one returning at all because they are simply not ready. Can the school systems seriously be this poorly run.

WigWag16

Quote from: Hammer2161 on August 19, 2020, 07:18:59 PM
Well it looks like the UFT is preparing not to go back on the 10th after their announcement just a short time ago. They want every child and adult to submit to a covid test and show proof of negativity before they can be permitted into the schools. Does that me we will all have to be tested as well ?  Their still complaining that schools have inadequate ventilation and they want all schools to be adequately equipped with PPE supplies. Along with a covid tracing team in place at every school. Seems like a lot to get accomplished in 22 days when they have gotten almost nothing accomplished since March. My wife works at CSI College and in a matter of 2 days they went from a mere 6 percent of the college returning for labs to no one returning at all because they are simply not ready. Can the school systems seriously be this poorly run.

Listen if they want to delay the opening fine....THEN TAKE CARE OF THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS! Everyone working or involved some shape of form with the DOE, BOE is taken care of but us. Pay us our salary and benefits. We can't live off unemployment

Hammer2161

WigWag16 I agree totally. I was only commenting on what I listened to, unfortunately we the bus drivers don't seem to be to high on their damn list of concerns. But if and when they do decide to open they will expect us to be ready. How can we possibly be ready if we have no idea what to plan for. What is so secretive that refuse to include the union and the owners in on their damn plans.