Stirring the Shit

Started by Buzz, August 30, 2020, 04:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

"Department of Education chief operating officer Ursulina Ramirez acknowledged that yellow busing may not be ready by September 10."

I don't know who this person is or how new she is in her position, but she should know it would not be the first time buses rolled while negotiating contracts with the city. My guess is that until that happens they'll be on a month-to-month basis at rates specified in the truncated previous contract.

Here's the article:

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2020/8/28/21406253/school-bus-contract-nyc?fbclid=IwAR0shqUf9fR5NvTVD_gZ-cFqrvdzF5YiTQX9ZVUq39Wo4qinPeror-rd22s
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

OMG

Maybe she's not talking about the money, maybe she's talking about the safety measures that need to be put into place before we roll.

Hammer2161

From what I read in the article it looks like a lot of things. From not having the up to date routes in place to not solidifying contracts with the bus companies.
For my money it's possibly another excuse to delay the start of the school year. Unfortunately it seems even the so called people in the know, know absolutely nothing. They are making a mockery of the start of this school year and causing thousands and thousands of people unneeded stress.
Someone should tell Dumblasio and Carranza to grow some balls and have the guts to be upfront and honest with everyone involved. We all know about the potential job cuts throughout all the city agencies so with that being said we also know most of what comes out of there mouths is bullshit. Not sure how you would go about certifying more teachers if your potentially are going to have to lay off thousands due to job cuts.
It is time to stop the shit and admit where we are exactly even if it means schools are not ready to open. The games need to stop because this is VERY REAL FOR FAR TO MANY PEOPLE.

yabba

Quote from: Buzz on August 30, 2020, 04:31:09 PM
"Department of Education chief operating officer Ursulina Ramirez acknowledged that yellow busing may not be ready by September 10."

I don't know who this person is or how new she is in her position, but she should know it would not be the first time buses rolled while negotiating contracts with the city. My guess is that until that happens they'll be on a month-to-month basis at rates specified in the truncated previous contract.

Here's the article:

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2020/8/28/21406253/school-bus-contract-nyc?fbclid=IwAR0shqUf9fR5NvTVD_gZ-cFqrvdzF5YiTQX9ZVUq39Wo4qinPeror-rd22s
i thought  when we ratified our last contract,that our boss also had a 5 year contract with the city also...

PROUD MEMBER

I believe the teachers are going to have a strike vote this Tuesday. My opinion, as long as the teachers go back to work on September 10th all the companies will be ready as far as routes and procedures and we will roll.

Buzz

Quote from: OMG on August 30, 2020, 05:46:19 PM
Maybe she's not talking about the money, maybe she's talking about the safety measures that need to be put into place before we roll.

No. They're talking money. New contracts. The runs themselves are incidental.

Buzz

Quote from: yabba on August 30, 2020, 06:08:49 PM
i thought  when we ratified our last contract,that our boss also had a 5 year contract with the city also...

They did but it's somehow cancelled. I suppose the contractors could take it to court, don't know what legal technicalities might be in play, but it's probably cheaper, easier and faster just to negotiate new.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on August 30, 2020, 06:33:49 PM
I believe the teachers are going to have a strike vote this Tuesday. My opinion, as long as the teachers go back to work on September 10th all the companies will be ready as far as routes and procedures and we will roll.

According to this article, delegates are going to vote whether to authorize a strike vote. (Which they almost certainly will, I believe.)

https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2020/8/29/21407010/nyc-teachers-union-strike-vote

wheresmymoney!

They should only get strike pay like we do! They need to have something taken away. Like drs and nurses they should be essential!

Hammer2161

Well first off if they do decide to strike they won't get paid unless it supplemented by the UFT. Also based on the Taylor Law there are many other ramifications including jail and loss of jobs.

That aside if they should be deemed essential then they should get all the necessary PPE as did the nurses and doctors.

It's troubling to see how some discredit the teachers concerns but I guess that's easy to do if it doesn't effect you directly. The facts are simple Dumblasio and the BOE waited to long to initiate a plan that still at this point has many flaws. Yes we need to move forward and that includes returning to work. But I am sorry this is way to little and way to late. They should have started this attempt back in April by now they may at least have had a plan.

wheresmymoney!

Agreed they waited way too long!

PROUD MEMBER

Many keep saying that the city waited to long.
To long for what?
For well over a month Dumblasio has been telling us his plans for reopening schools as far as teaching and safety. The big problem is the teachers don't agree with him.
The only thing that I see that he waited to long for is to tell the public the exact procedures on school buses. And I assume that is something we all will know in a few days.

Hammer2161

To long for what ? Is that a joke   

It's one thing to say you want to open the schools and give a potential date but it's another to actually have a plan. He has yet to even provide the principals of the schools with the children who have signed up for fully remote learning and who will be attempting the hybrid program. Principals are still unsure of what teachers will be actually reporting to the school and who will be teaching remotely. I think that potentially ties the schools hands and makes it impossible to put together a proper plan.

If what was posted in the link by Buzz at the beginning of this thread is true they are just now acknowledging the fact that busing is not ready to go. Contracts have not been executed and updated routes have yet to be created. Again making it impossible for a smooth start to the school year.

Are we going to actually sit here and pretend this lame attempt at ventilation inspections is real. That's a joke in itself.

We can dance this dance as long as you want. But the simple truth is all he said was he planned to open schools on September 10th. The thing missing is the ACTUAL PLAN.

PROUD MEMBER

No it's not a joke. Even though I believe de Blasio is a joke, I believe he definitely has a plan to reopen.
With regards to the Principals here's a text I just got from a friend of mine who is a Principal on SI.
I asked him if he had a list of hybrid & full remote students.

Yes. I have a list for each.
I was going to call you tomorrow too.
Rumor has it that we got our ridership reports too. I have people coming in tomorrow to see what it looks like.
These ridership reports are for both special ed and general ed students complete with stops and routes.
Let me look at the reports tomorrow. I want to see them with my own eyes before I tell you that I definitely have them...

With regards to bus routes as you can see by his response the schools have been given the routes. Also we know from Ernie that Pioneer will be getting its runs this week. We also know that Consolidated already has its runs. I also know that Hoyt and Vinny's have gotten their runs.

With regards to contracts obviously no contractor is going to get a contract until September but that might be put on hold to the end of the week depending on how the teachers vote. Furthermore companies have been preparing such as Neil having the mechanics working all summer and Owen giving the safety class. Believe me Neil is not letting us get behind the wheel on September 10th without a contract in his hand.

I can't speak to the ventilation but a would have to take the BOE on there word.

docjones

Quote from: Hammer2161 on August 30, 2020, 11:05:02 PM
Well first off if they do decide to strike they won't get paid unless it supplemented by the UFT. Also based on the Taylor Law there are many other ramifications including jail and loss of jobs.

That aside if they should be deemed essential then they should get all the necessary PPE as did the nurses and doctors.

It's troubling to see how some discredit the teachers concerns but I guess that's easy to do if it doesn't effect you directly. The facts are simple Dumblasio and the BOE waited to long to initiate a plan that still at this point has many flaws. Yes we need to move forward and that includes returning to work. But I am sorry this is way to little and way to late. They should have started this attempt back in April by now they may at least have had a plan.
Apparently the teachers/paras will lose 2 days pay for every 1 day they are on strike is what i heard at a boe meeting.