Reality Check

Started by OMG, February 23, 2021, 04:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMG

Just for the hell of it,I filled out that form we get about once a year from 1181 about what we would get if we retired. So for 30 years of service, all you get each month is a paycheck, that's it. It's just a reality check for me, 30 years ago I didn't care and honestly back then you kind of got more. But this pension hasn't changed in years. Kind of disgraceful 30 years of service for one weekly paycheck a month

sbdriver1

That's basically it. You have to rely on your social security to fill in the rest.

yabba

and we keep paying more into every year and get zilch for it and the boss pays less...go figure..

Eucerin

I wonder what the pension was worth, 30 years ago for a 30 year veteran ...

OMG

Well 30 years ago it may have been equivalent to two paychecks or more, probably about two weeks salary but from 30 years ago. Now it's barely one. But in 2003 one of Sal's last union meetings, we voted on contributing more money to our pension and increasing our contributions, that's why we pay what we paid today. I think in 2003 we were giving maybe $21 a week into our pension, now I think we're giving twice that much not including when our employer contributes , and it hasn't gone up a bit. That was 18 years ago. Somethings not right

yabba

Sal is also the only who ever gave a Cost of living increase to retirees...

faceit

Sal was also the last real Union President with BALLS 1181 ever had!!!
All lives matter

sbdriver1

Very true. we need someone like that again

OMG

I remember that meeting like it was yesterday. Sal said, "if you want a bigger check you need to contribute more". He asked members to raise their hand and state how much more they wanted to contribute. That's when it went up from $23.00 to almost $45.00, not including employers contribution. Almost double, but we've yet to see a substantial increase since then. 18yrs

Buzz

Quote from: faceit on February 23, 2021, 11:52:09 PM
Sal was also the last real Union President with BALLS 1181 ever had!!!

The absolute BEST!
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.