CBS Report on Driver Shortage

Started by Buzz, January 07, 2022, 10:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Glad they mentioned the need for $24/hour starting salary and delaying of new training requirements (which I posted about a couple of months ago) that will take effect in February. The CDL test is already ridiculously hard. One Pioneer trainee failed not because of driving ability but because she didn't talk enough about the shit under the hood. Unreal.

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Kid24

Reasons why there is a shortage
1) covid retirements
2) drivers not getting the vaccine
3) people can't pass the new CDL exam
4) companies can't get new drivers to come in or current drivers to stay under the new contract because it sucks with pay and benefits....

Slowbus

Quote from: Kid24 on January 07, 2022, 02:26:36 PMReasons why there is a shortage
1) covid retirements
2) drivers not getting the vaccine
3) people can't pass the new CDL exam
4) companies can't get new drivers to come in or current drivers to stay under the new contract because it sucks with pay and benefits....
[/quote new contract Sucks with capital S

Slowbus

I just don't understand how medical insurance is almost 400 dollars a month per driver. :devil:  :devil:                      I know a driver that just resing after working for a year is just not enough to keep up with the cost of living .

Buzz

QuoteI just don't understand how medical insurance is almost 400 dollars a month per driver. :devil:  :devil:                      I know a driver that just resing after working for a year is just not enough to keep up with the cost of living .

It would cost probably double that on the "market place" and our plan costs our employer about 3 times that per month. So much for affordable health care.

Of course, a better contract would have him paying more of the cost and that will be one of the things necessary to attract more drivers to work here.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Slowbus

Yes he definitely needs to pay more because when I get my check every Friday and I see the medical deduction I want to cry  :cry2:  :cry2:

Kid24

This next contract will be very telling....

mirrorcheck

Seems like a potential strike in Chicago was averted and you to 5.00 more an hour was given . Then a hearing in Volusia country where people are explaining all they do and the low wages that come with . Seems the movement is more then just NYC it's beyond regional and is now National . This can and should be parlayed to our advantage.
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.