WTF??? ID-Me Isn't Enough?

Started by Buzz, September 14, 2022, 04:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Did you get this email from Dept. of Labor?

Dear New Yorker:

NYS DOL remains committed to safeguarding the unemployment system and protecting New Yorkers who receive unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. As such, we recently rolled out the use of Multi-Factor Authentication, or MFA, for online processes related to UI.

MFA is a security technology that requires multiple methods of authentication, such as a code sent via text message, to verify a user's identity for login purposes. It is used increasingly on websites and apps to protect user data and accounts.

Effective September 21, 2022, users will be prompted to provide a second form of authentication when logging into the Unemployment Services portal of their NY.gov accounts. MFA is required for customers who wish to use the online portal to:

Certify for benefits
View payment history
Update banking information or mailing address
Update and view tax information and 1099-G form, and more
JobZone, the work search record, and other non-UI NY.gov functions will not be impacted by MFA at this time. Certifying for benefits through the phone system at 888-581-5812 will also not be impacted.

Users interested in setting up their MFA enrollment method(s) can do so now at labor.ny.gov/signin. Those who do not sign up in advance will be prompted to enroll when clicking into the online Unemployment Services portal on and after September 21, 2022. The first time UI claimants will certify online with MFA in effect is September 25, 2022.

When enrolling in MFA, users are encouraged to set up multiple enrollment methods on multiple devices in the case of a changed phone number, misplaced phone, or deleted mobile app.

Additional tips and resources, including FAQs, users guides in 13 languages, and how-to videos are available on NYS DOL's MFA webpage. Visit dol.ny.gov/MFA for more information.

Thank you.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Slowbus

I just got it I feel like they just making it harder for people to get unemployment

Kid24

I just did it. It's annoying but took two seconds.

You click which way you want it set up I chose have the code texted to my phone when it does you enter it in, then they ask if you have a  secondary email I left blank, choose your security question with the answer then you pick an image and click finish

Buzz

QuoteI just did it. It's annoying but took two seconds.

You click which way you want it set up I chose have the code texted to my phone when it does you enter it in, then they ask if you have a  secondary email I left blank, choose your security question with the answer then you pick an image and click finish

Yes, easy but I don't get what the point is. Out of curiosity I logged in to UI ... just logged in the usual way. No "Multi-factor" ID.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Kid24

Quote from: Buzz on September 17, 2022, 02:42:10 PM
QuoteI just did it. It's annoying but took two seconds.

Yes, easy but I don't get what the point is. Out of curiosity I logged in to UI ... just logged in the usual way. No "Multi-factor" ID.

Like you said isn't the ID.ME enough lol