Strike Possible This Time Around

Started by Buzz, November 25, 2022, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I don't know how many of you had a chance to chat with our delegates ... Anthony Cordiello and John Cleary ... in the drivers room last Friday morning (Arthur Kill).

I did, and be assured our local has heard the membership loud and clear as to what we're expecting next contract ... especially those hired since 2013.

When I asked if they thought they would get a strike vote if the contractors didn't "play ball" there was no doubt in Anthony's mind that that a strike vote would carry. His reasoning is, there are now more members hired since 2013 than before that year.

Pretty much puts the ball in the junior drivers' court if it comes down to that. Let's hope it doesn't. It's not fun.

(p.s. - They did point out that you can now get unemployment after being on strike for 2 weeks, instead of 8 weeks like back in 2013. Remains to be seen how long our benefits will remain intact, however. I neglected to ask.)

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

mirrorcheck

Buzz Happy Thanksgiving

No doubt NO ONE wants to go go on strike . Been there done that stoking the fire barrel  at 5 am in the bitter cold .
    Then as now I felt some things are worth fighting for . We lost a lot. Strike means any list wage you don't get back . It's the same as sitting out a contract as a ball player etc .
    That first strike we learned that the personal grudge Bloomberg had with our union delegates then may have been the catalyst to what's wasn't a fruitful conclusion imo .
     Now we hear a potential strike cause there's more people stuck under this all for the boss and less for the worker contracts that are extended well beyond top pay ascension in most if not all fields .
      It's simple he wants better drivers he has to make it a lot more attractive . No drivers were getting rich under the old contracts 6 years to top pay. He was paying his bills . None of my checks ever bounced . He can put in a new gas station . Someone said he gets inflation adjusted clause . Good for him . Smart . He bids all these runs based on top pay . That's why he bought out the top guys years ago . Paid them to leave . Remember ?
      God Bless him he walked into a great business and he further expanded but smartly kept it going . That can't be easy , but now it's time to take care of the people that make him all that money.
    Last time there were some that "talked the talk l and after a few weeks they didn't want to "walk the walk". A lot of drivers I talk with A lot of drivers and they get IT.
      Best we can do is stay United , doesn't matter what the delegates do they need us behind them. For the people that say what union ? They think the union doesn't do enough they need a United front to stand up .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

Points well taken. If it's going to come to a strike, then let them call it in September ... not the middle of the fucking winter. And let them tell us ... AT THE VOTE MEETING ... whether there is enough money in the welfare fund to keep our benefits intact for at least 3 months, so there are no surprises later on like last time.

I NEVER supported the last strike. It was stupid, ill-advised (the International was against it), and a big fucking MISTAKE ... something the union to this day will never admit.

How the fuck do you go on strike against a third party? It was Bloomberg ... the city ... that wanted to put the work out for bids, not Neil. Neil was in favor of the EPP. We do not work for the city, we work for Pioneer. How do you strike against a guy who, not only can do NOTHING about what you're striking for, but who also AGREES with you? How? Makes absolutely NO FUCKING SENSE WHATSOEVER!!

Then, to pour salt on the wound, the union doubles-down on the stupidity by ENDING the strike when they did. When it was obvious the strike was going to be ended, I said to the then Vice President of the union, "How can we go back to work WITHOUT having a new contract in place? If we do that, they'll shit all over us." The response was, "One bridge at a time."

Really? Seriously? One bridge at a time? Well it was a fucking bridge to nowhere. They couldn't predict what was going to happen then? That the contractors would wipe the fucking floor with us? That we'd have no recourse? Not a leg to stand on? I mean, what were we going to do ... go on strike again?

At least this time around ... if it were to happen ... it will be against the right parties for the right reasons ... and hopefully a lot better managed by our local.

Kid24

My father who was involved in the strike told me nobody ever wins in a strike. At the end of the day people hired after 2013 want what they deserve. If it comes to a strike which would suck then so be it. This is our moment to get what is ours and be treated as equals by being under 1 contract. As stated people are all talk but I think this time around people are I'll walk the walk because if we don't get what we deserve people will leave pioneer and go drive for a different profession making way more money than they are now with less headaches and responsibilities. This is our moment to get what we want need and DESERVE which is guaranteed weeks for all, all
Holidays and top pay cut in half. You guys were us at one point so you have to see where we are coming from. You guys got what you wanted now it's time for us to get what we want from people hired 2013 on

Buzz

Your father is right ... you never get back what you lost during a strike.

Safe to say we won't be offered a 24% increase like railroad workers ... but if we were, I doubt we'd reject it like they did!

Kid24

I don't think they are going to fight us, we will cripple the city if they force us to strike.
It's good to hear the union is pushing the owners to give us what we deserve and want

Buzz

QuoteI don't think they are going to fight us, we will cripple the city if they force us to strike.

Wrong on both counts.

mirrorcheck

Can't cripple the city we all don't bargain as one anymore . That strike cracked the union . There is no "collective bargaining by all the union". Each property negotiates separate and is on different contracts. Another great move eroding any unity/mass negotiation we had .
     I hope what we lost and past mistakes was a lesson and not further sting. Cause they are gonna fight us and this hard . They made too much and had their way too long to not dig their feet in. Watch any things they offer will further break and create more divisions . The first offers will be ugly .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

QuoteMy father who was involved in the strike told me nobody ever wins in a strike. At the end of the day people hired after 2013 want what they deserve. If it comes to a strike which would suck then so be it. This is our moment to get what is ours and be treated as equals by being under 1 contract. As stated people are all talk but I think this time around people are I'll walk the walk because if we don't get what we deserve people will leave pioneer and go drive for a different profession making way more money than they are now with less headaches and responsibilities. This is our moment to get what we want need and DESERVE which is guaranteed weeks for all, all
Holidays and top pay cut in half. You guys were us at one point so you have to see where we are coming from. You guys got what you wanted now it's time for us to get what we want from people hired 2013 on
This "Kid" seems to be uninformed. Using terms as "what is ours and what we deserve" is incorrect. We have now what our union told us to accept. The union was willing to accept all the givebacks and persuaded the membership to do so. So from then on, it is not what you deserve or is yours. You accepted this job at the terms of your hire. Most jobs have tiered employees with different pay scales and benefit packages based on longevity. Our union lost it, hopefully in the future some things can be restored. Regarding a strike, nothing positive came out of the last one!

Buzz

QuoteWe have now what our union told us to accept. The union was willing to accept all the givebacks and persuaded the membership to do so.

Not fair to say really. After months of negotiations they know that the contractors' "Best and Final Offer" is the end of negotiations and the only thing they can do is present it to the membership.

The union can persuade all they want. It is TOTALLY up to us whether we accept it or choose the only other alternative ... strike. There is no "going back to the table" at this point. Accept it or go on strike ... those are the choices. Period.

Buzz

QuoteThis "Kid" seems to be uninformed. Using terms as "what is ours and what we deserve" is incorrect.

Exactly right ... nothing is "ours" until it's in the contract and signed by our president and Neil. Before that we don't have shit.

Kid24

Quote from: Buzz on November 27, 2022, 02:48:04 PM
QuoteThis "Kid" seems to be uninformed. Using terms as "what is ours and what we deserve" is incorrect.

Exactly right ... nothing is "ours" until it's in the contract and signed by our president and Neil. Before that we don't have shit.

Ok ok what we deserve....better lol. We deserve to be treated as equals under 1 contract. Enough of the 2-3 day pay checks when others get a full week, enough of worrying what holidays we get paid for or not, enough of this 12 years to top pay bullshit. Give us full weeks, give us 6 years top pay, give us holidays. Im tired of picking runs to make sure I get a full week no matter what because I have to have a Jewish/catholic school on my run. We shouldn't have to worry about that as well. Enough separation and unite is as one with one contract. People from 2013 want to get taken care of and recent hires are tired of the worrisome. So as Buzz said it's either give us what we deserve or strike.

faceit

I'm all for a strike IF THE UNION PUTS ALL THEIR DUCKS (POLITICIANS) IN ORDER for what we need to do to get this industry back to what it was ONE CONTRACT FOR ALL!!!
And we really need to better our Pension entice people to want to retire that only makes sense for the owners and union getting new drivers and having more top pay drivers retire....
 AND THIS TIME AROUND SHOP PEOPLE STAY OFF THE PROPERTY AND JOIN US ON THE PICKET LINE
All lives matter

Buzz

QuoteAnd we really need to better our Pension entice people to want to retire that only makes sense for the owners and union getting new drivers and having more top pay drivers retire....

Totally agree with bettering the pension, but contractors certainly have no impetus to do so because they can't find new drivers.

Not like years ago ... I remember drivers getting $17,000 buyouts to leave ... and got 99 weeks of unemployment besides! Yes, 99 weeks! (Obama)

mirrorcheck

Faceit is right I'm not opposed to putting in more and getting more pension . I'm sure that means the owner would have to put in more . And yes the shop people were the first want back in .
     Also another point some of the new drivers might not realize . The owner made his money while we were on strike . All he had to do was try and get any buses out and show he was doing his all to make it work. He's got a great deal.