Friday's Meeting: Nada

Started by Buzz, September 16, 2023, 01:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Today's negotiations were not successful. More meetings scheduled for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Also, there are fliers in the drivers room to give to parents, NOT students.

[The above as per Anthony]
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

mirrorcheck

That's not a good thing . So did they make progress or left the meeting right where it started ?
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Golfnut

How about no extra work! Do the run you picked and nothing else ! Let the Fines pile up 70 runs that won't be covered ! Figure each run is 4 schools per day which is 280 runs per day 1400 runs per week getting Violations! The amount of fines would be  staggering! That would make the owners negotiate quicker .If all the runs are being covered what would the owners care ? They aren't losing anything. No Our "Job action" is not having a pick and not using our Via Phones ! Big friggen Deal ! What a joke !

Buzz

Golfnut ... yes, it would be great if that could happen. But you have guys here making 80 and 120 hours a week. There is now way in hell they would give that up. Human nature being what it is, it just ain't happening.

Buzz

Quote from: mirrorcheck on September 16, 2023, 02:13:21 AMThat's not a good thing . So did they make progress or left the meeting right where it started ?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, so Anthony just said it wasn't "successful."

Buzz

QuoteThat's not a good thing . So did they make progress or left the meeting right where it started ?

I don't want to put words in his mouth, so Anthony just said it wasn't "successful."

I should add ... by virtue of the fact that 3 more meetings are scheduled means they haven't issued a "last and final offer" ... which is a good thing. I'm thinking they're making at least some progress and that they're trying to avoid a strike. Just my opinion.

mirrorcheck

You know what Buzz ? Even myself doing extra work I would drop that in  A heartbeat . He knows this and knows we are not truly United therefore worst case and what should be avoided is a strike . IF you don't do all the things to avoid the strike like stop extra work then you will get the strike . It's just how it goes . A nic here a nic there before you know it your bleeding to death .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

@mirrorcheck -- I hear you and agree, but most people don't think like that. Everybody is out for themselves. Most guys aren't going to give up 2-3-$4,000 a week, even if it's for the greater good.

Hammer2161

Unfortunately 1181 allowed them to divide us as individuals with the multitude of different contracts depending on when you were hired and as companies under the 1181 banner because all contracts are not the same from company to company. The owners are well aware that 1181 is not very strong and even though a strike vote was approved unanimously they are very reluctant to strike.
But the reality is as long as we the workers continue to cover the work that is not assigned to anyone we are further helping the owners to get richer.
If our greed as individuals over shadows the obvious problems we are facing to get a fair contract going forward then all our efforts are doomed.
We need to hurt the owners in their POCKETS that is the only language I think they understand.
Also we as a union need to address the fact that the 700 or so drivers we are short throughout the industry is also money not going into our pension or health fund. And that may be a bigger problem than we realize going forward.

Buzz

@Hammer2161 - What you say is very true. There should be one contract ... certainly within the company ... as well as among all companies doing NYC DOE work. (There are 1181 companies outside of NYC that do work for districts that do not have NYC's exorbitant budget and cannot compete with our contract.)

Yes, covering work is further dividing us. Unfortunately personal greed is just as acute as that of the owners.

And yes, our retirement fund is missing way too many contributions.

Of course the union is reluctant to strike, rightfully so. But no more reluctant than the owners are for a strike. (Evidenced by agreeing to 3 more meetings ... if not more.)

PROUD MEMBER

If we Strike or don't Strike let's be realistic, there is no way the contractors are going to give us what is being asked for. It's simple logic, why would they give us what we ourselves have ratified and given to them over the past three contracts. It's not just the Contractors but both sides that have to bend. My opinion, give the senior members a decent raise and leave everything else status quo and get the "new hires" as much as possible. I also believe if we Strike it will be much longer than the last one and it will end up the same with us on the losing end.

Hammer2161

By no means am I encouraging or pushing for a strike simply because I think we can all agree that neither side truly wins when a strike happens.
I do agree with Proud Member that if we do choose to strike it potentially will be for a substantial amount of time. But on the other side I do not feel that the owners are taking us very seriously. I wish I was wrong but it doesn't seem we are any closer to a new contract now than we were in June.
Let's hope we get this resolved by Wednesday so that we can potentially avoid a strike.

PROUD MEMBER

I disagree that they are not taking us very serious. Just that fact that there are four consecutive days of negotiations scheduled shows they are taking us very serious. That's more sit downs than they've probably had in the last 8 months.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on September 17, 2023, 03:04:38 AMIf we Strike or don't Strike let's be realistic, there is no way the contractors are going to give us what is being asked for. It's simple logic, why would they give us what we ourselves have ratified and given to them over the past three contracts.

But who ratified the last 3 contracts? Guys with considerable time on the job. We used to be the majority. The "demographics" have changed this time around. There are more drivers hired since 2013 than legacy drivers now. They are the ones who will have the last say if the negotiations produce an MOA. If it's not equal to, or pretty damn close to, what senior drivers get, I wouldn't blame them for putting us on the street. While we may be satisfied with our lot, they've been getting screwed for 10 years and would be justified turning down another shitty contract.

Buzz

Quote from: Hammer2161 on September 17, 2023, 04:42:44 AMBy no means am I encouraging or pushing for a strike simply because I think we can all agree that neither side truly wins when a strike happens.

Oh I didn't take your comments as pushing for a strike. I understood your point. And you're right ... both sides lose in a strike. That's why I say, even when you win, you lose.